Review Rd 1 Carlton v Richmond Post Match Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

This ain't the banter thread Knackers, so unless you want to play by our rules get back in your own den!
What he said wasn't banter it just expressing an opinion on what was said by a deluded Carlton supporter. Nothing said was in any way as disrespectful to our players as what the majority of us are saying. This isn't a Carlton supporters only thread. I welcome constructive comments from anyone.

There was plenty to like from a Tigers supporters point of view:
Stars were quiet but were still able to win easily. You would have thought with Cotchin, Deludio and Martin all getting under 20 possessions we would have done easily.
Debutants were best on the ground.
They moved the ball really efficiently. Even when we were 4 goals up I had a bad feeling things were going to change because of how easily they were able to move the ball from one end to the other.
Pressed well and for half a game we barely got it out of our defensive 50.

As long your judging him fairly. He missed a lot of the preseason and big chunks of match practice, I think him and Gibbs were always going to struggle with finding touch in the first few games.
I'm judging him based on the fact that as a leader he is insipid. He didn't rally his troops once, dropped his head, and stomped around with his hands on his hips in a sulk.

I was there yesterday. Saying no one played well is unfair to Tutt, Whiley, Ellard and Foster.

Malthouse does not gift games to players who don't deserve them. Casboult does not deserve a call up based on his NAB form and his game yesterday.
It's a good point Meb but where do you draw the line, that decision probably ended up costing us the game vs the tiges... I believe Casboult would've made a huge difference!

It's not his match performance many people are criticizing.
I thought it was one of the worst games i have seen him play. It struck me in the second quarter was he actually playing tonight such was his lack of impact. Then a couple of quite poor attempted tackles , thought he maybe carrying an injury.

Been a Carlton member for 35 years - get ready for more of the same ordinary performances this year as we have had for last three or four.
We have about six - eight players that can cut the mustard.
We are slow, have no forwards and a coach who is past it.
Still love the Blues and always will but the people running the club need to get their act together at some point.

Don't be surprised if Richmond do pretty well this year, they finished last season very strongly and they have found a good clutch of good players not to mention they have a few who have improved.

We're still rebuilding, we've got a list loaded with good honest capable footballers but we lack a fair bit of quality. At least we aren't lacking capable footballers like we were last season. We've still got a lot of work to do to find those classy athletic footballers with an ability to find the footy.

We're going to find it tough to score goals this season and probably win enough of the footy to give that a real shake.

List turnover is one thing but we need the ones coming in now to be quality.

We'll have our moments, wouldn't be surprised if we roll the eagles this week.

Reckon after 6 weeks or so, if Murphy still struggles displaying on-field leadership, then criticism is okay, but after one poor performance, I think the Murphy critics are a bit harsh.

The good thing about footy is that next week he gets a chance for redemption, I am tipping in to put in a much better performance against The Weagles.

Murphy's a proud person, I am sure he would be fully aware of his performance against the Tiges wasn't good enough.

He isn't the first, and won't be the last AFL captain to put in a poor performance in round one, think we should ease up a bit on Murph ..

Been a Carlton member for 35 years - get ready for more of the same ordinary performances this year as we have had for last three or four.
Still love the Blues and always will but the people running the club need to get their act together at some point.
Welcome Bluebleeder , a member for 35 years. Respect

Reckon after 6 weeks or so, if Murphy still struggles displaying on-field leadership, then criticism is okay, but after one poor performance, I think the Murphy critics are a bit harsh.

The good thing about footy is that next week he gets a chance for redemption, I am tipping in to put in a much better performance against The Weagles.

Murphy's a proud person, I am sure he would be fully aware of his performance against the Tiges wasn't good enough.

He isn't the first, and won't be the last AFL captain to put in a poor performance in round one, think we should ease up a bit on Murph ..
Hear, hear! Well put! .........................then can we kick him out?

6-8 might be selling another 5 or 6 pretty short lol

It's a good point Meb but where do you draw the line, that decision probably ended up costing us the game vs the tiges... I believe Casboult would've made a huge difference!

This.

Do we pick a one or two out-of-form players who will provide structure or weapons we lack, in order to give us a chance of winning and improving the team as a collective, or do we only play in form players, regardless of how unbalanced that makes the team, and remove any chance of us getting a win?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You have no idea. The Malthouse seen in the media is totally different to Malthouse the day-to-day coach who builds strong relationships with his fellow coaches & more importantly with the players. The players have nothing but respect for Malthouse & know that he has their back (it is no coincidence that a number of senior Collingwood players have left the club since Buckley took over).

In your attempt to attack Malthouse, you did actually identify part of our problem & that has been our recruiting. A problem which dates back to the '90s. What you fail to identify & this is not surprising for someone who doesn't follow our club, our player development has been woeful. Much of this was the result of not devoting funding to this aspect of the Football Department until recent years. We are probably 10 years behind some clubs in player development. Hopefully we are now bridging this gap having recognised the importance of player development.

FWIW, Malthouse doesn't have that much power at Carlton. This is particularly exemplified by the fact the club is not rushing to renew his contract, which expires at the end of this season. If we have a season which the powers that be deem to be sub-par, Malthouse will be gone. Not exactly what you would expect for a coach who has too much power. Perhaps you are confusing him with James Hird, who runs the EFC, or even your own ex-coach, who had Richard Colless wrapped around his little finger.

i was gonna stay away from your board, however as I have been quoted then a right to reply should be a gimme.

Enjoy season 2015 Blues fans !

I'm judging him based on the fact that as a leader he is insipid. He didn't rally his troops once, dropped his head, and stomped around with his hands on his hips in a sulk.

I agree, some players just aren't leaders of men and it kills their game being forced into that role. Good example: Ryan Griffen

Not sure I am on the same page here DVB. It is not like this is the first time Murph has struggled with the on-field leadership role, in fact I would say he has been struggling to find his way as a captain since he was appointed. Love what Murph can bring to the side as a player but I just don't think he has the aptitude or preference for the leadership role. The issue for the club is I don't see many 'spiritual leaders' out there who can take on the role (perhaps Simmo?).

I agree, some players just aren't leaders of men and it kills their game being forced into that role. Good example: Ryan Griffen
Even tiger supporters talking sense today.

It's something that you are born with... I am a highly unmotivated person off the field even to the point of being lazy... but put me on a field and I get white line fever and turn into a competitive monster. I will do everything I can to put my opponent off their game and I would also be doing everything I could to get my team mates to play at a higher level than they were capable of.

It just isnt something that you could learn.
If that's the case Houston, we have a problem. My view is that everyone is different. The trick for the coaching staff is to get the players to respond to pressure and play at the level they often show. When I played footy my coach used to say "There are three things that make a good player: physical fitness/ability; skill level and mental toughness." I think the Blues need to work on the third element.

Not sure I am on the same page here DVB. It is not like this is the first time Murph has struggled with the on-field leadership role, in fact I would say he has been struggling to find his way as a captain since he was appointed. Love what Murph can bring to the side as a player but I just don't think he has the aptitude or preference for the leadership role. The issue for the club is I don't see many 'spiritual leaders' out there who can take on the role (perhaps Simmo?).

Jamison, the future Docherty , just my opinion

This.

Do we pick a one or two out-of-form players who will provide structure or weapons we lack, in order to give us a chance of winning and improving the team as a collective, or do we only play in form players, regardless of how unbalanced that makes the team, and remove any chance of us getting a win?
Your point is very well made!

I can't work out the facination with Levi post game. We got smashed between the arcs by their mids and flankers. Levi would have made jack shit difference.
Think it is because Hendo got ragdolled by Rance all day and at least Levi would have given a better contest

Lots of encouraging signs from Thursdays' match. Judd was excellent and will have another great season, tried to put the whole team on his shoulders during a few stages. I thought Docherty played really well, would like to see him take Tuohy's spot and send Tuohy back to the two's.

Simpson and Menzell were also great, but that's to be expected. Cameron Wood also did fantastically, how many clearances did the guy end up with?

First quarter and a half were excellent, then we threw the game plan out the window and bombed it forward at every opportunity. I thought Bell's in and under work was great, but he obviously favors the mitch robinson find ball kick ball far philosophy. Would love to see Juddy take him under his wing and just have some one on one drill time together.

I thought Jones was fantastic as well, when the midfield were providing him with opportunities he took them (for the most part). I don't want to bring in Levi if he is not performing in the VFL, but we need somebody to play CHF and provide a foil for Henderson/Jones as Henderson was towled by one of the best defenders in the league in rance.

All of our stars were quiet and underdone which didn't help at all (Murphy, Gibbs struggled and Yarran was well held). Cripps was a bit disappointing as well, but will continue to improve as the year goes on.

Next week will be interesting.

I don't know why people think Carlton can't play 4 quarters of football. Thursday night was as consistent as it gets - missed shots from 15m out, goals conceded in red time, inability to stop a surge from the opposition... It was vintage Carlton delivered across 4 quarters.

Re: Murphy. It has to be dispiriting to watch your captain get physically disrespected in every contest. I can't think of many players who get shrugged/palmed off as consistently and effortlessly as he does.

Also, Jones made me physically cringe several times. I saw nothing in the NAB cup that suggested he was AFL-standard. Can't say that effort changed my mind.

Gibbs' game was also bizarre. Corridor turnovers, ootf, etc. his worst for some time sadly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Rd 1 Carlton v Richmond Post Match Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back