Preview Rd 13 Cats V Swans Sunday June 9 320pm @ SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let’s get Jezza back to full forward. The old adage, do what your opponent doesn’t want you to do. Fox a good match up on mobile roaming Jezza, not so much on tail up key forward.

A JC first quarter blitz will put them back on their heels and have them remembering ‘the bad thing’ that happened to them not so long ago.

I'm with you.

I've been wondering why:

1. if the defensive zoning isn't working, and
2. if the forward bomb to the square isn't working, then
Why don't we change the systems?

For me this has been an issue for years, not just 2024.
It really has been. It infuriates me that kicking lower to our forwards to bring them running on the lead is usually successful. Now Hawkins has difficulty jumping, it’s a simple solution.

Let’s get Jezza back to full forward. The old adage, do what your opponent doesn’t want you to do. Fox a good match up on mobile roaming Jezza, not so much on tail up key forward.

A JC first quarter blitz will put them back on their heels and have them remembering ‘the bad thing’ that happened to them not so long ago.
It wasn't that bad, they made it a really fierce contest for the first 8 minutes.

Maybe.
But I see a lot of lazy chasing, slipped/sloppytackles ect in the first halves as of late.
Then in the second half it’s like a different team.
Our pressure in first halves is atrocious. Maybe you’re right and we literally cannot pressure and physically cannot go with the other team.

Rounds 1-7 our pressure was elite, ranked number 1 in the comp.
As of late we are ranked 13th (From memory)

I don’t know.
Won’t be long before we find out I guess.
I don’t think the first halves are lazy, or that our pressure is bad.

I think we simply can’t keep up with teams when they are at full pace.

When they tire and drop in intensity by 5-10% we magically can pressure them, can stick the tackles and can win clearances.

It has got more to do with what our opponents are doing more than what we are doing. Which is somewhat depressing because we can’t really do anything about it. It is out of our control.

Champion Data's top 10 players has Max Holmes currently ranked 5th in the competition. He's one of the best impact players in the comp, and even his stint on half back was considered elite as well as being elite since his move into the middle 3 weeks ago.

Daniel Hoyne at Champion data said Swans should tag Holmes this week, not Stewart and that Holmes is our best player right now.

FYI the current top 5 are:

1. Heeney
2. Bont
3. Rankine
4. Petracca
5. Holmes

Champion Data's rankings are close to the biggest load of BS in football.
Compiying stats and selling them to consumers is the only thing they're good at.
When it comes to making judgement & subjective calls based on raw data (ie: their ranking systems), they are so for off the mark it's not funny.

I seriously doubt Hoyne has watched too many games of football. He simply runs his numbers through an algorithm and thinks he's some sort of football guru.

Champion data had Daniel Menzel ranked as an elite player in the year we delisted him (2018?), yet Joel Selwood wasn't. Laughable.

As well as Holmes has been playing of late, how he could be rated above Daicos or Warner (2 players off the top of my head) is also laughable.

Last edited:

When they tire and drop in intensity by 5-10% we magically can pressure them, can stick the tackles and can win clearances.

It has got more to do with what our opponents are doing more than what we are doing. Which is somewhat depressing because we can’t really do anything about it. It is out of our control.

I will preface the following by saying that I was unable to watch the opening half of last week's game, and had to listen to ABC Radio instead.

At half time their commentators were quite blunt and matter of fact in stating that 'Geelong's players simply weren't willing to get their hands dirty......and Scott looked exasperated'.

The clear implication was that the boys were indeed lazy, and were unwilling to expend the effort required.

Scott being 'exasperated', and the notable improvement in effort from the opening bounce of the second half, suggests Scott was in agreement with the ABC's assessment at half time and probably had some words to say to that effect.

I will preface the following by saying that I was unable to watch the opening half of last week's game, and had to listen to ABC Radio instead.

At half time their commentators were quite blunt and matter of fact in stating that 'Geelong's players simply weren't willing to get their hands dirty......and Scott looked exasperated'.

The clear implication was that the boys were indeed lazy, and were unwilling to expend the effort required.

Scott being 'exasperated', and the notable improvement in effort from the opening bounce of the second half, suggests Scott was in agreement with the ABC's assessment at half time and probably had some words to say to that effect.
To put it bluntly - ABC Radio commentators are lacking in sophistication when it comes to analysing the game. It is like they are stuck in 2005. Their usual analysis tops out with “team a wants it more, team b needs to try harder”. Basically useless.

Of course Scott was exasperated, we were getting pantsed by a crap team. He was probably exasperated because he more than anyone would be aware of our shortcomings.

If we increased our effort level in the second half it was only marginally. It was more that the intensity of the opposition (and the game in general) dropped down to our level and our better system allowed us to dominate.

To put it bluntly - ABC Radio commentators are lacking in sophistication when it comes to analysing the game. It is like they are stuck in 2005. Their usual analysis tops out with “team a wants it more, team b needs to try harder”. Basically useless.

Of course Scott was exasperated, we were getting pantsed by a crap team. He was probably exasperated because he more than anyone would be aware of our shortcomings.

If we increased our effort level in the second half it was only marginally. It was more that the intensity of the opposition (and the game in general) dropped down to our level and our better system allowed us to dominate.

I hold grave fears for us this weekend then.

As said earlier this is spot on

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like the idea
Just don’t like the ground, SCG doesn’t suit Big players

He’s Better off playing high and getting hand ball receives to either have a shot or hit up another target

With how well Dempsey played after the switch I fully expect you'll see Jezza on the wing at first bounce as much as I don't like it.

I fully expect to get thumped but If we got 2022 GF Dangerfield, with the rest of the team playing at their round 1-7 level - we would be in with a red hot shot. Both are unlikely which is why I'm not expectant. But ya never know.
Yeah I agree. I reckon Danger was playing at that level against the Blues this year when he got injured. So he's definitely got that level still in him. Whether he can bring it this week and sustain it I suppose are important questions.

The midfield is a team. Inc the ruck. A star won’t win it for us there. Remember Ablett in the 2010 final against Collingwood? He starred, and we got murdered.
Interesting point, he had 40 that night. The next year we beat them 3 times and only had 1 30+ possession getter, and that was Joel Corey with 30 in the 3 point win

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back