Preview Rd 13 Cats V Swans Sunday June 9 320pm @ SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Champion Data's rankings are close to the biggest load of BS in football.
Compiying stats and selling them to consumers is the only thing they're good at.
When it comes to making judgement & subjective calls based on raw data (ie: their ranking systems), they are so for off the mark it's not funny.

I seriously doubt Hoyne has watched too many games of football. He simply runs his numbers through an algorithm and thinks he's some sort of football guru.

Champion data had Daniel Menzel ranked as an elite player in the year we delisted him (2018?), yet Joel Selwood wasn't. Laughable.

As well as Holmes has been playing of late, how he could be rated above Daicos or Warner (2 players off the top of my head) is also laughable.
Hoyne is very irritating the way he speaks. I don't mind some stats and they can provide fodder, but I hate the way he speaks as if his stats are the undeniable truth. Last week Nick Daicos was 231st for ball use and it was stated along the lines... "him winning more of the ball comes at a cost, if you want his efficiency he can't be an inside midfielder etc"

Wha? everyone knows if you're winning more ball under pressure you're not going to be as effective but Daicos is elite, whatever the circumstances are you want him winning the ball. His 231st ranking was across a period where he earnt 39 of a possible 40 coaches votes.

This week "Daicos played the best game of anyone this year, noone has had more impact with ball use". Well blow me down. Funnily enough the coaches didn't even rate him the best player in this game.

Hoyne is very irritating the way he speaks. I don't mind some stats and they can provide fodder, but I hate the way he speaks as if his stats are the undeniable truth. Last week Nick Daicos was 231st for ball use and it was stated along the lines... "him winning more of the ball comes at a cost, if you want his efficiency he can't be an inside midfielder etc"

Wha? everyone knows if you're winning more ball under pressure you're not going to be as effective but Daicos is elite, whatever the circumstances are you want him winning the ball. His 231st ranking was across a period where he earnt 39 of a possible 40 coaches votes.

This week "Daicos played the best game of anyone this year, noone has had more impact with ball use". Well blow me down. Funnily enough the coaches didn't even rate him the best player in this game.
He comes across like those muppets in the crowd who are experts on everyone and everything despite never playing a game of footy in their lives....

Champion Data's rankings are close to the biggest load of BS in football.
Compiying stats and selling them to consumers is the only thing they're good at.
When it comes to making judgement & subjective calls based on raw data (ie: their ranking systems), they are so for off the mark it's not funny.

I seriously doubt Hoyne has watched too many games of football. He simply runs his numbers through an algorithm and thinks he's some sort of football guru.

Champion data had Daniel Menzel ranked as an elite player in the year we delisted him (2018?), yet Joel Selwood wasn't. Laughable.

As well as Holmes has been playing of late, how he could be rated above Daicos or Warner (2 players off the top of my head) is also laughable.

Lies, damned lies, and statistics

"Lies, damned lies, and statistics" is a phrase describing the persuasive power of statistics to bolster weak arguments, "one of the best, and best-known" critiques of applied statistics. Wikipedia

Only got to find a way to hold our own in the middle and we'll ask some serious questions theyve never been able to stop our forward line, unfortunately I think Grundy will put it down their mids throats and they'll dance around us.

Agree - hold our own or lower our colours slightly in the middle will be a huge factor in the result.
More importantly is our pressure between the arcs and our ability to stop their quality clearances will give us a chance.
Forcing turnovers will be very influential.

I also think we need to execute well early and get off to a good start , we haven't been clean early and that can really hurt.

Last edited:
Agree - hold our own or lower our colours slightly in the middle will be a huge factor in the result.
More importantly is our pressure between the arcs and our ability to stop their quality clearances will give us a chance.
Forcing turnovers will be very influential.

I also think we need to execute well early and get off to a good start , we haven't been clean early and that can really hurt.
Nailed it F2G

How do you see our set up to achieve these necessities? I'm always interested to hear different strategies.

Nailed it F2G

How do you see our set up to achieve these necessities? I'm always interested to hear different strategies.
Hi HK

Yeah - that's the million dollar question isn't it?
Fundamentally we have to get the midfied balance right between attack and defend.
In terms of defence I think MOC or Mullin could play a role as tagging Warner or Heeney , Guilden has to be defended as well :( There's a lot of talent there ! Main thing is to stop them bursting clear from centre bounces.
I think we'll pick Conway so if he can do well and tap to advantage that would be huge.
We exerted enormous frontal pressure on them in the 22GF - would be great if we can rediscover that.

If we can get back to what we showed earlier in the season we're a chance , but the Swans will have to be less than optimum as well..................

Hi HK

Yeah - that's the million dollar question isn't it?
Fundamentally we have to get the midfied balance right between attack and defend.
In terms of defence I think MOC or Mullin could play a role as tagging Warner or Heeney , Guilden has to be defended as well :( There's a lot of talent there ! Main thing is to stop them bursting clear from centre bounces.
I think we'll pick Conway so if he can do well and tap to advantage that would be huge.
We exerted enormous frontal pressure on them in the 22GF - would be great if we can rediscover that.

If we can get back to what we showed earlier in the season we're a chance , but the Swans will have to be less than optimum as well..................
O'Connor to tag Gulden on one wing. Cameron on the other as an attacking/territory wingman who drifts forward. Dempsey and Miers the half forwards who attack around stoppages to support the others.

I don't think we can afford to tag too heavily at stoppages. Each midfielder has to be accountable but also win their own ball. And when they can't, they need to make Sydney clearances scrappy. Easier said than done.

Realistically we have no choice but to back Holmes, Bowes, Bruhn and Atkins in. Then hope we have a decisive edge at either ends of the ground (forward/defence). This is more of a hope than expectation thing for me this week.

O'Connor to tag Gulden on one wing. Cameron on the other as an attacking/territory wingman who drifts forward. Dempsey and Miers the half forwards who attack around stoppages to support the others.

I don't think we can afford to tag too heavily at stoppages. Each midfielder has to be accountable but also win their own ball. And when they can't, they need to make Sydney clearances scrappy. Easier said than done.

Realistically we have no choice but to back Holmes, Bowes, Bruhn and Atkins in. Then hope we have a decisive edge at either ends of the ground (forward/defence). This is more of a hope than expectation thing for me this week.
The hope would be that now that Max has moved into the middle, and Bruhn & Bowes are available and adding more offensive strings to their bow by the week that we've got a bit more firepower in there.

They're certainly not in Sydney's class at this stage of their careers, but there's a point of difference in there that we seem to be figuring out as the season goes on.

The Port game for instance where it was Axe, Blitz, Mullin, Parfitt, and a half injured Guthrie is just way too defensive, and lacks any real difference maker to balance out the group.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only problem with Geelong and it is a big problem is the wild flucuations in performance per quarter in a game

Take the GWS game - at qtr time it was something like 5 goals to 2 the Cats way , maybe that flattered Geel a little bit . So Geel have started the game ok , then the 2nd qtr was probably the worst qtr Geel have played in 10 years , and could have been outscored by 10 goals , and Geel in general play didnt look like winning the ball in the 2nd qtr - you could have gone and taken your dog for walk and you knew when you came back they wouldnt have scored anything and they didnt

Then fast forward to the last qtr , its totally opposite i think it was 15 inside 50s to 1 Geelongs way at one point - total domination by Geel

You look at the Port - GWS and Rich , none of them really any good , i think GWS had lost 4 on the trot before they played us , yet those 3 teams slaughtered Geel at KP in the 1st half

That to me says there is problem with some Geelong players work ethic , and i think some Geel players maybe are a bit cunning in that regard , because in the 2nd half in all 3 games it was totally different they came home with a Wet sail

Only got to find a way to hold our own in the middle and we'll ask some serious questions theyve never been able to stop our forward line, unfortunately I think Grundy will put it down their mids throats and they'll dance around us.
I believe you are right about this. But that's just about the biggest 'only' I can recall over my history on this board.

The reality is that our mids have been embarrassed for long periods in recent weeks by midfields far less dynamic and clearly less talented than theirs. So we will need a big lift around the ball if we are to have any chance. Let's face it, if they get fast, clean clearances and reasonable conversion going for even half a quarter in this game, it's hard to see how we would get back into it.

Will require a real four-quarter effort from the entire team to get close, I believe.

This is my favourite take I've seen online in regards to team selection this week - is there at least some level of agreement that this is why the MC shouldn't pay attention to 'FB Wannabe Coaches'

"You cannot take anything out of Saturday's game as Richmond played a lot of inexperienced youngster. It is time to give Hardie and Constable a seat on the bench and insert them into the game if the Swan's run riot otherwise the Cat's will be slaughtered at the centre bounces."

He comes across like those muppets in the crowd who are experts on everyone and everything despite never playing a game of footy in their lives....
He might have played footy growing up. I am not aware either way. I like to think I have some insight into NRL but I've never played the sport. A bloke like Hoyne would be thinking about AFL football every waking moment. Plus his Analytical background would allow him to see things others would not even be aware of. I find him pretty enlightening.

The early team news from 7News

Ins: Stanley, Blicavs, Clark & Mannagh
Outs: Henry (hamstring) - guessing that it's Ollie, but no initial was given

Also, no Dangerfield
Is this an extended bench scenario given Sunday? Ie. 26 players named so the ins and outs should be compared to the team including emergencies last week?

Is this an extended bench scenario given Sunday? Ie. 26 players named so the ins and outs should be compared to the team including emergencies last week?

Yep

I'm waiting for the club to release the current team sheet with extended bench to get a better idea

Geelong takes on the Swans in a Sunday double-header at the SCG, with the VFL Cats in action first at 11.35am before the AFL sides do battle from 3.20pm.

The match will be broadcast on Foxtel and streamed through Kayo from 2.30pm.

Round 13​

Sydney Swans v Geelong Cats
SCG, Sydney. - Gadigal
3.20pm AEST Sunday 9 June

In: Rhys Stanley, Mark Blicavs, Jhye Clark, Shaun Mannagh
Out: Ollie Henry (injured)

Backs38. Jack Henry16. Sam De Koning8. Jake Kolodjashnij
Half Backs22. Mitch Duncan44. Tom Stewart34. Oisin Mullin
Centreline46. Mark Blicavs9. Max Holmes2. Zach Tuohy
Half Forwards45. Brad Close5. Jeremy Cameron32. Gryan Miers
Forwards18. Tyson Stengle26. Tom Hawkins33. Shannon Neale
Followers6. Toby Conway30. Tom Atkins4. Tanner Bruhn