Review Rd 15 Saints v Lions post match discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

As far as I'm aware if the AFL team is in the finals that rule doesn't come into play.

Can somebody clarify that for us?

I could be very wrong on that. :)

Apologies, I may indeed have jumped early.

But I believe that even AFL players whose teams made it to the finals must have played at least one VFL game ?

And there may be a maximum amount of games for a player to have played in the AFL ?

More questions than answers...

:eek:

You could be right on some or all of those points!

For some reason I seem to recall a situation in the past where our top 8 rivals had the opportunity of getting match practice into all of their players because they made the VFL finals whereas we weren't afforded the same opportunity because we didn't make it.

Anyway like I said I could be very wrong on this but with the likelihood of Collingwood, Williamstown, Northern Bullants and Box Hill all making the finals it's worth knowing because it's potentially a factor that could make a difference at the end of the season.

What did people think of Dempster's game. I'll confess I was just watching the general play and didn't notice if he was doing a negating role or what he was doing.

Found it hard to see who he was running with - had Power & Black at different times.

I did notice a period when Power kept running round the back after a mark/free to get a handball receive. Took that as a positive sign, along with Power only having 2 inside 50s (Dempster also had 2) and no goal assists.

Noticed he was credited with a few spoils, and I remember one in particular which went 25m onto the chest of a player in the clear (probably a fluke, but you'd take it!).

Found it hard to see who he was running with - had Power & Black at different times.

I did notice a period when Power kept running round the back after a mark/free to get a handball receive. Took that as a positive sign, along with Power only having 2 inside 50s (Dempster also had 2) and no goal assists.

Noticed he was credited with a few spoils, and I remember one in particular which went 25m onto the chest of a player in the clear (probably a fluke, but you'd take it!).
Looked to be on Power in 1st qtr when he played h/fwd. After qtr time CJ on Power when on ball. Dempster on different players after qtr time. Did a good job in 1st half. Limited game time in 2nd half. More game time for Gram. Perhaps Goddard in for Dempster this week.
Dempster is a solid player down back and is good in the role given to him which allows others to run the ball and push fwd. Blake, Dawson & Dempster are the old fashion backmen which then means that Fisher, Gilbert etc can play off their man and create opportunities.

Looked to be on Power in 1st qtr when he played h/fwd. After qtr time CJ on Power when on ball. Dempster on different players after qtr time. Did a good job in 1st half. Limited game time in 2nd half. More game time for Gram. Perhaps Goddard in for Dempster this week.
Dempster is a solid player down back and is good in the role given to him which allows others to run the ball and push fwd. Blake, Dawson & Dempster are the old fashion backmen which then means that Fisher, Gilbert etc can play off their man and create opportunities.

Hard to say who would go out for BJ. Steven may also be a candidate ( don't crucify me for mentioning it though ).

Steven may also be a candidate

When Jack kicked to Roo (who'd just come onto the ground) and made him stretch the hammy by kicking 5m in front of him I thought "oh, that's not good". I guess the guys don't want to kick it on his head like when he did the injury (over-compensating the other way).

Not pleasing:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/gabba-takes-its-toll-on-the-saints-20100713-109hu.html

The infamously hard surface of the Gabba has had its effect on St Kilda. Saints coach Ross Lyon said yesterday that the club was modifying this week's training load after its conditioning staff reported a cluster of aching players following the win over the Brisbane Lions last Saturday night.

The good news for the Saints is that captain Nick Riewoldt pulled up well.

What did people think of Dempster's game. I'll confess I was just watching the general play and didn't notice if he was doing a negating role or what he was doing.

someone said he had sherman. if so. he did a good job as sherman did bugger all.

Very happy with Jim Gwilt, Patto man and Faz Ray. All played great games. Patto will definitely get another game this week as I doubt Kosi will come up. He was hard at it, just needs to tweak those finishes.

I couldn't believe how Roo focused the Lions were. It was a joke. Mind you it took us the best part of two quarters to work that out for ourselves. We could have buried the Lions in the 3rd quarter, but we dug in nicely.

I also liked Dawson's game. Showed some mongrel, which is needed at FB. His skills were also very tidy.

Zac is a very good kick. In the 2nd quarte he must kick a 55m bullet pass and hit someone on the tit in the clear. I replayed it at least 3 times!

Ray was magnificent. Probably one of his best games for us. Been in terrific form lately.

Just can't get over how good JG33 is. We barely missed God.

Roo was rusty, but hell I think most teams would be happy with their FF getting 15 touches, 6 marks and 5 shots on goal. Just needs to get that accuracy back, which will come in time. And shouldn't be missed too much this week.

Thought Pattison was very good as well. 16 touches, a number of contested marks and had he kicked straight could have been a game breaker. Don't think he'll be dropped if he keeps that up. Along with Big Mac and Big Mick our ruck division is pretty handy around the ground.

And props to Peakey who's just about nailed his position in our best 22.

And Schneider and Milney <3

Zac is a very good kick. In the 2nd quarte he must kick a 55m bullet pass and hit someone on the tit in the clear. I replayed it at least 3 times!

Ray was magnificent. Probably one of his best games for us. Been in terrific form lately.

Just can't get over how good JG33 is. We barely missed God.

Roo was rusty, but hell I think most teams would be happy with their FF getting 15 touches, 6 marks and 5 shots on goal. Just needs to get that accuracy back, which will come in time. And shouldn't be missed too much this week.

Thought Pattison was very good as well. 16 touches, a number of contested marks and had he kicked straight could have been a game breaker. Don't think he'll be dropped if he keeps that up. Along with Big Mac and Big Mick our ruck division is pretty handy around the ground.

And props to Peakey who's just about nailed his position in our best 22.

And Schneider and Milney <3

I saw that shot by Zac as well, a great pass.
Farren Ray has a wicked overhead mark, and while he's not a booming long kick, I like the way he can stab it in low, fast, and accurately.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Rd 15 Saints v Lions post match discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back