Preview RD 16 Geelong v Essendon Sat Jun 29 730pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love how when things go badly for the team supporters want to pin it on certain players they have deemed soft or mentally weak because of… reasons. Too many harsh armchair critics on here.

He may look laconic and that he doesn’t care, but this kid does. Had it all his own way in his first year as a cog in the most dominant AFL side since Geelong 2011. Had a fair bit against him last year (injuries, physical attention, weaker team). This year he’s finding his way in a defense that is getting pummeled. He will find his way, you don’t trade away your future, this kid is no Rory Lobb.
That is what I said.

Maybe they're sick of smashing down the door. Ever been in a job where the boss almost dismisses everything you do but rewards others who seem to contribute very little. Gets to you eventually.
Did you miss out on the promotion,?

But Stevens is slow. Could fit in if he just does inside work. How recent are those weights? Hardie looks a lot heavier than Mannagh and Atkins. Atkins looks a lot lighter than 86kg. If Parfitt and Atkins ran into each other Parfitt would come out the better.
Breaking news: 19 year old in his first year who came into the club overweight isn't lightning quick.

FWIW, you have a decent point. If Stevens makes it long term it's highly, highly likely that his role will be predominantly inside.

With that being said, the club clearly want him to work on his game and add strings to his bow, like having him on the wing last week.

It looks stupid to us, and probably isn't the best option if we're just trying to win the game...but that's never been how we operate at VFL level. It's a development program first.

Stevens said so himself, with his clear focus with Lappo & Danger being adding some burst and acceleration to his game. He knows his deficiencies, and he's working on them.

He won't be playing seniors this year, and I don't think he ever was tbh.

This year has just been about getting him into AFL shape post the ACL, and having him build into this pre-season where he can hit the ground running, and have a big 2025.

Personally, I think we should take it as a great sign that he's performed well at VFL level so far.

This year was the year for low expectations, next year is where we should be expecting him to play seniors, even if he's not best 22 every week.

Didn't bother trying. But plenty who deserved it were overlooked in favour of some very pedestrian performers.
That's the work place .
Some lazy.
Some really good workers miss out on the promotion to the ones with dirty knees.

Ok. So have been giving my Meat tray some thought with a couple of hours to go…

My first meat tray a few days ago was what I would like them to do. But they won’t.

Reflecting on how the MC have treated back half of the past couple of years. They have wound down to a very small squad of around 26 and played 20-21 nearly every week. They have not “gifted” any games at all until last round 2023 when out of finals.

Even in 2022 when on that winning streak and atop the ladder they managed players much less than I thought and they replaced them with Higgins, Dal, Ceglar and Parf (who was not part of 23). They did not give games to that next level of player…

In 2023, despite the very good chance that we were not good enough if we made it, they stuck phat right until last round when we were definitely out.

So in 2024 when we sit 8 and 6 and if we win this weekend we could end up equal 4th and we still have to play 5 of the BOTTOM 6 teams (6 of the bottom 8 teams!) you have to think that the MC are in a very different place to footy media and BF. They are going to try and win this week without thinking about anything else.

With that in mind I think we only have two changes max.

Hawkins (inj), Mullin (ommitted)

I do believe that they will bring in Humphries, but not for the reason of playing a debutant - (maybe sadly) he is the best option we have to bring some life into our D50 rebounds. With max having moved into the midfield we have fallen off that cliff - in a big way. People have (rightly) focused on how bad our MF is but it isn’t much worse than it was when we were 7-0…what is much worse is our defence and also our ability to transition out of defence.

Mullin is quick and I believe will be a very good player….and we can move Atkins and MOC down into defence but neither have that rebound speed (that Max gave us in the early rounds). Duncan of course doesn’t have it either. So Humphries must be picked…not for romance of it (although I am all on the dorito train) but because I reckon they will think he can help us win THIS game.

Now the second in is suprisingly harder for me. All the logic says that it should be Neale. Certainly if they are thinking medium and long term it is a no brainer to bring Neale in. Get 2 months of AFL footy into him now. BUT, they want to win this week and I think they will also want to give Gary a shot in the 22. If they have Jezza, Gary and Henry then I do NOT think they will pick Scratcher. So unless Gary or Henry have a late niggle then I am not putting Scratcher in the meat tray.

Next most logical person is Conway. Dominated last week and we are going up against a good ruckman. And we have 2m Peter for SDK to look after in the backline. BUT I can’t believe that the SDK ruck experiment was a one and done thing. If it was done truely to break his “meh” backline form then they need to back him for a few weeks in the ruck. So I am not putting Conway in my meat tray!

(By the way I might look silly in an hour as both Scratcher and Conway are just very logical ins!)

Then I don’t know which way to go for my last in. Whoever it is (if not Scratcher or Conway) I think will be sub (I would put 2E or MOC personally…). I would bring in Knevitt to add a wing and MF option but I think they might want to bring in Mannagh?

In: Humphries, Mannagh

Emergencies. Scratcher, Conway, Knevitt

(Put emergences in as I can claim a sneaky sausage from the meat tray if one of those come in for Mannagh??)

Taco Bell Kfc GIF by John Crist Comedy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back