Autopsy Rd 17 Blues undersized and overwhelmed

Who played well for Carlton in Round 17?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Structure was our killer today. Highlights the need for another Key Tall Post Jones. Effort was there, but we still lack some polish, Usual disposal culprits and poor kicking for goal.

Willo, Newnes, Ed, & setterfeild not up to it at the moment, Martin needs a rest. time to start experimenting.
We surely can't play Willo, Saad and Williams all in the one side. Their basic instinct is to attack with the ball in hand. We can only really play two of that type of player in the side.

Newnes is just a filler player. Fisher or LOB would be better suited to playing on the wing.

Ed Curnow is approaching the end of his career I reckon. He plays well, but there are times when it all goes Pete Tong for him.

As for Setterfield, I think that he's the emergency you have when your other potential emergencies are all too raw to play at the top level.

It was an awful game overall. Once again we had a chance to at least throw a punch against a top 8 team, coming off a couple of good weeks.

Once again, we were lame. Blew easy chances and ultimately couldn't stand up to the pressure. Tough with so many out but even had wie kicked a couple early tk take the lead and then faded to the same outcome we could feel better about things.

One thing I can't understand is the criticism of Newnes. On a pretty awful day, he held his head up. Second on the team for ranking points, second for tackles. Playing wing against a team who make that tough because of their game plan. Also does a heap of little things - blocks, spoils, etc.

Sadly, after a better few weeks just not enough from the mids aside from Walsh. Cripps, Dow, Kennedy, SPS - none cracked 20 touches, while Curnow got just 21 (and played mostly outside the center). We won't ever win a game if we only have one midfielder get the ball 20x. Just not enough workmate or consistency of effort there.

It's honestly just mental though. To win those games you have to attack them and seize the initiative. Listening to Teavue ore game and it was all 'we know we have to be at our best to win'. We will never win games with that attitude. We will win by going out to hunt then down and stomp on their throat, and this group simply don't play with the right intensity unless they are 30 points down.

We should blood some of the kids but I get the feeling we won't. DT sounded like getting Murph to the 300 was more urgent.
Smurph is out for another 3 weeks. And even then, he might aggrevate it in training or re-ping it if he's rushed back into the side ASAP.

"Levi Casboult being out hurt us" is one of the funniest things you will read on bigfooty all year

Sometimes there is part of the sentence unwritten... and in this case "Curnow, Marchbank, Pittonet, McGovern, Jones, McDonald, Mirkov AND Levi Casboult being out hurt us" is the full sentence...

I'm also disappointed in the MC (again...) for disrespectful selection and a lack of overall integrity.

We lose Levi Casboult pre-game so Setterfield is chosen? Why? On the back of no matches in 4 weeks and a dodgy hand.

That's disrespectful to guys who have been toiling away like Honey, Ramsay and Kemp. Let alone Fisher who is infinitely more talented and useful on the wing.

Will. Setterfield. Is. Not. An. Automatic. Selection.

100% spot on.
a reflection of the shambolic match comittee which one can only assume is headed by Teague.

if I’m Josh Honey or Sam Ramsay I’m telling this
I'm also disappointed in the MC (again...) for disrespectful selection and a lack of overall integrity.

We lose Levi Casboult pre-game so Setterfield is chosen? Why? On the back of no matches in 4 weeks and a dodgy hand.

That's disrespectful to guys who have been toiling away like Honey, Ramsay and Kemp. Let alone Fisher who is infinitely more talented and useful on the wing.

Will. Setterfield. Is. Not. An. Automatic. Selection.

100% spot on.
a reflection of the shambolic match comittee which one can only assume is headed by Teague.

We continually reward mediocrity over consistent VFL form.

if I’m Josh Honey or Sam Ramsay I’m telling this club to get f*cked and asking for a trade. Honey would have numerous suitors.

Casboult was a "sorely" missed out tonight

He could have evened things up a bit, by sending a couple of cats to hospital/vet
that way it makes up for Setterfield , in a gameday coma and McKay still kicking like he's trying to impress 16yo girls on tick tock

We surely can't play Willo, Saad and Williams all in the one side. Their basic instinct is to attack with the ball in hand. We can only really play two of that type of player in the side.

Newnes is just a filler player. Fisher or LOB would be better suited to playing on the wing.

Ed Curnow is approaching the end of his career I reckon. He plays well, but there are times when it all goes Pete Tong for him.

As for Setterfield, I think that he's the emergency you have when your other potential emergencies are all too raw to play at the top level.

What's wrong with giving a taste to someone who is t quite ready instead of Settefield though?

He had 10 touches playing on the wing, and was the lowest rated player on the ground while also being awful defensively.

Do we seriously think that a fired up Honey or Ramsay (who can at least justifiably say they earn a crack) or even a charity game for LOB couldn't have matched that?

I don't think we have played a single first gamer all year while being one game out of the bottom 4. Something is seriously wrong there.

I’ve defended Setterfield a hell of a lot, and I still think he is been misused, but that was horrible and that performance was instructive.

He lacks urgency and is constantly outpointed in the air by smaller opponents.

We got sucked into believing he was better than he is. Reality is that he’s a handy VFL player at best.

when you’re a fringe player at least run out with some urgency, some aggression. Play with poise and execute effectively. Look how Owies plays.

Will just simply doesn’t “have it” in his repertoire.

Really, we lose two talls before the game and have to replace them with midsized players. And people were still expecting to win the game?

We have Casboult and Jones in, and we kick straight... we win... too easy yeah? Nope... the cats are an aging talented side.

As for sacking Teague... yeah nah.
Like the blues tonight this post started well and ended poorly

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely honey Kemp and Ramsay can equal the output of Martin, fogarty and Setters.

Absolutely atrocious performance at the selection table...again.

Most of the lads had a crack though, and Walsh/Weiters were superb.

Now that we are 8-12 points and percentage out of finals calculations, we need to look to the future.

But Teague is coaching for his professional career (and a nice salary in the realm of 500k I'd imagine, vs 100-150k as an assistant).

So, I don't blame him for playing the veterans, the call needs to come from above him.

Ok... 6 games left in the season, what should we do.

Bring in the kids.

Honey, he's had 2 games... time for a refresher for the fans so we can see how far he's progressed this year.
Ramsey... lets see what he's got and give him a taste of AFL football.
Durdin, give Owies a couple of weeks rest and lets see him at the top level to see how long he's going to take to get there.
Carroll... Newnes out, Carroll in. Time for him to get a taste of the big show.
Kemp, give him a couple of games to whet our appetites on what he could bring to the side.

Would have been good to see Philp out there... but it's just not to be this year.
when a coaches livelihood is besieged, it doesn't happen. he goes with predictable personnel that knows will give honourable losses
and keep himself out of the gun. Occasionally stealing one or 2

We got sucked into believing he was better than he is. Reality is that he’s a handy VFL player at best.

when you’re a fringe player at least run out with some urgency, some aggression. Play with poise and execute effectively. Look how Owies plays.

Will just simply doesn’t “have it” in his repertoire.

That’s probably the most disappointing aspect.

His football career is on the line and he played with no intent, was continually outworked in contested scenarios and a couple of horrible blunders in possession.

I get the distinct impression he’s a space cadet.

Yeah ok mate....with one tall taken by Hendo...Tom Stewart intercepted everything... best learn about the game

Levi Casboult. Does. Not. Help. With. Structure.

It's a myth, and too many people have bought into it.

I hate to be critical of him because he should not have got this far in the AFL system (combination of luck and hard work), but he is ****ing cooked and useless as an AFL footballer in 2021.

Call it as I see it. Fogarty’s pressure and disposal was reasonable early on this year. Always lacked kicking penetration but made up for it. Other areas have dropped away and is a liability. Curnow is done and is doing nothing to change my mind and Newnes butchering went to another level this game. Teague needs to be brutal with these players, if he wants to play attacking football.
Who played on Dangerfield and kept him completely out of the game?

Tonight was more of the same.
Try really hard … but lack the killer intensity and ruthlessness that you need to be consistently good at AFL level.
Not sure if SPS, Dow, Setterfield, Williamson, Martin will ever have it.
Others who have intensity - like Curnow, Newnes, Fogarty, Kennedy, Owies, Cripps - make simple skill errors or are one-position players.
We are too nice as a club and need to harden up.

He shouldn't be considered for anything , other than ensuring walsh's meals prepared and dishes are washed at home and the bed made with fresh sheets, EVERY DAY.

Cut it out, Arrow.
He had a plus one at the contest all game, allowing the second best interceptor in the comp to do as he pleased.

Unless by “solid”, you mean “incompetent”
k
Ok... 6 games left in the season, what should we do.

Bring in the kids.

Honey, he's had 2 games... time for a refresher for the fans so we can see how far he's progressed this year.
Ramsey... lets see what he's got and give him a taste of AFL football.
Durdin, give Owies a couple of weeks rest and lets see him at the top level to see how long he's going to take to get there.
Carroll... Newnes out, Carroll in. Time for him to get a taste of the big show.
Kemp, give him a couple of games to whet our appetites on what he could bring to the side.

Would have been good to see Philp out there... but it's just not to be this year.
Can't play them all at once. Try Honey for Owies first. Then maybe Carroll for Newnes.

Back