Autopsy Rd 17 Blues undersized and overwhelmed

Who played well for Carlton in Round 17?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought we tried out guts out today. You cannot question their effort over the four quarters.

The coaching staff have sorted out our defensive structures. Huge effort by that unit. Cannot question their games tonight.

Skills were obviously not great, but because we were so undersized, we were forced to attempt pretty risky kicks.

I still think a number of players look injured/sore. Martin, Cripps and Williams are clearly playing through pain.

As long as we bring that effort against a top 4 side, I can't complain.

Too measured and sensible a post for this place mate :)

Perhaps now the Levi haters understand structure now....where is skyhorse...I told you Stewart would lick his lips
Stewarts an incredible player Levi in would have made no difference to him .
Charlie Curnow in at his best may have made a difference to Stewart .
The loss had nothing to do with structure was all about scoreboard pressure .
When you get your chances in front of goal playing against a decent side take them or pay the price .

Structure was our killer today. Highlights the need for another Key Tall Post Jones. Effort was there, but we still lack some polish, Usual disposal culprits and poor kicking for goal.

Willo, Newnes, Ed, & setterfeild not up to it at the moment, Martin needs a rest. time to start experimenting.
Need to make something out of this season. Lets find out which kids can play , drop Newnes, Curnow, Setterfield and Martin.

hey 'coach' - do me a favour and tell me where the ignore button is too tempting to rip you a knew one and you aren't worth the effort - floggo.
And yet you made the “effort” to serve up this rubbish.
Ignore away, my friend. You’d be doing us both a favour I suspect.

I apologise. A coach does not kick for goal, you’re right.

He selects the team, decides their best positions, outlines the game plan, sets the non negotiable standards, inspires and motivates, disciplines where needed, drives continuous improvement.

Bang up job so far.

Who would you of picked this week with 15 players out?

Surprised with the negativity, the impact Jones & Casboult would have had today would have been immense. All those inside 50s resulted in a lot of rushed kicks to clear the space which lead to turnovers and more f50 entries for them, if Jones plays he has 10 intercept marks on Ratugolea which means less rushed kicks back out and if Casboult plays it means more relieving marks from those rushed kicks or at least halved contests both which lead to less inside 50s to them.

Despite this we had the opportunity with some straight kicking to put some scoreboard pressure on and maybe open them up a little and it was a tad disappointing with such a small side that we were the ones who opened up defensively after halftime.

All in all an expected result, we aren't good enough to win without 5 of our top 8 talls available.

I'm also disappointed in the MC (again...) for disrespectful selection and a lack of overall integrity.

We lose Levi Casboult pre-game so Setterfield is chosen? Why? On the back of no matches in 4 weeks and a dodgy hand.

That's disrespectful to guys who have been toiling away like Honey, Ramsay and Kemp. Let alone Fisher who is infinitely more talented and useful on the wing.

Will. Setterfield. Is. Not. An. Automatic. Selection.

Have it on decent authority that (at least) one of the bolded agrees with your assessment and wants out at the end of the year.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There’s a lot of positivity on here tonight.

Almost 1 goal for three quarters ?

Nup, that’s rubbish.
I am certainly not seeing the positives some are, a very disappointing performance tonight.

Turnovers by foot, one paced players, goal kicking. Ooof!
TDK taking strong marks and rucking/ following up, nice.
Geelong playing careful football easily picked apart in that first half.
Harry competing with half of geelongs back six hanging off him.
saad continually providing overlap and dash.
weitering bossing hawkins
walsh is a freak.
looking to the future with this list now. time to ses the kids.
had visitors after half time, but they brought wine, bastards.

Call it as I see it. Fogarty’s pressure and disposal was reasonable early on this year. Always lacked kicking penetration but made up for it. Other areas have dropped away and is a liability. Curnow is done and is doing nothing to change my mind and Newnes butchering went to another level this game. Teague needs to be brutal with these players, if he wants to play attacking football.

Fog hasn't been effective since round 3, yet you supported him until now. Late to the party mate

Ed has been pushed out from his preferred position

Newnes actually got his hands on the footy, unlike some of your fanboys mate

Who would you of picked this week with 15 players out?
Mate, if you think my assessment of Teague on based on tonight, you’re mistaken. He’s been incompetent from day one.

But as for tonight, I wouldn’t be playing blokes that are under done, and others out of position.

Look, I’m not here to argue with you. You think he can coach, I think he’s incompetent. I doubt either of us will convince the other.

Setterfield a shell of the player i thought he might be a season or so ago. Should never pull on the Navy Blue again.

I remember at least one list manager saying that with what they saw in Setterfield they would have taken him pick 1.

Absolutely no idea what has happened there - was building and showing promise but just looks either impotent or disinterested this year.

Injured? I kinda hope, because what's the alternative? (being played on a wing wouldn't completely explain the poor performances imo.)

Fogarty, Setterfield, Curnow, Martin and Newnes all terrible. Can't omit them all but 2 or 3 of them should be playing VFL next week.

Walsh and Weitering crazy good. Happy with Stocker, JSOS, Saad and TDK. Plowman did well considering he had to play taller. Thought Williamson played much better than last week.

Some good patches of play but too many mistakes made with and without the ball again.

Mate, if you think my assessment of Teague on based on tonight, you’re mistaken. He’s been incompetent from day one.

But as for tonight, I wouldn’t be playing blokes that are under done, and others out of position.

Look, I’m not here to argue with you. You think he can coach, I think he’s incompetent. I doubt either of us will convince the other.

Never said he this gameplan this year was adequate, but again, which player should have been in the side, given we have more than a dozen injuries

I will wait for those names

"Levi Casboult being out hurt us" is one of the funniest things you will read on bigfooty all year

Back