Review Rd 18 Blues d North Post Match Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

It was a great night all round. A complete four quarter effort. Cameron Wood giving us a presence around the ground, Waite and Hendo dominating, the mid-fielders winning and Yaz and Simmo slicing through the opposition. For a North hater like me this was pure bliss.

However it was entertaining night off the ground. At half time a new family moved into the neighbourhood. North supporters mum, dad and two boys around 11 and 13. The boys were pretty loud and dad was on the front foot in defending his kids. I was happy to keep out of it as dad and a Carlton supporter went at it over the behaviour of his kids. The older kid was just a smart alec with a big mouth. It was the younger one who kept me entertained with his barracking. A North goal and he yells "It's not over until the fat lady sings" brought a smile to my face. In the last quarter he started to feel the pressure and started yelling at his dad "Why do you make barrack for this team? I want to barrack for a team that wins." I'm totally entertained now. Hendo responded with a couple of goals and the kid has full on lost it and mum decides her young boy should be protected from the rest of the game. She heads for the exit. She had to wait there for a while. Dad and older son still had plenty to say before they left as well.

Sometimes the off field footy is pure magic:D

Now THIS is why winning is always important.

It definitely did, if you cant see that you are crazy. Imagine beating essendon in 05 and getting Gumby instead of Gibbs, or beating melbourne and not having the pick to trade for Judd.

Yes things have not worked out in our rebuild, but tanking was not to blame.

In poker terms

We have a sh1t hand, time to fold....if we keep banking on it, it's on going to cost us in the long run.

We've finished 10th and 6th in the past two seasons and in that time we've added Menzel, Graham, Cripps, Johnson, Docherty and Everitt to our list.

Don't need to throw games to get good players.

We've finished 10th and 6th in the past two seasons and in that time we've added Menzel, Graham, Cripps, Johnson, Docherty and Everitt to our list.

Don't need to throw games to get good players.

Love the optimism, but if you are already counting Johnson as a "good player" I'd be interested to hear what you think of GWS's list, who are a team close to us on the ladder.

Love the optimism, but if you are already counting Johnson as a "good player" I'd be interested to hear what you think of GWS's list, who are a team close to us on the ladder.

Alright, take Johnson out.

My point still stands.

It definitely did, if you cant see that you are crazy. Imagine beating essendon in 05 and getting Gumby instead of Gibbs, or beating melbourne and not having the pick to trade for Judd.

Yes things have not worked out in our rebuild, but tanking was not to blame.

In poker terms

We have a sh1t hand, time to fold....if we keep banking on it, it's on going to cost us in the long run.

This is a terrible argument that makes no sense .............. And that's before I even mention the name Joel Selwood.

I understand what you're trying to say, and I know you're trying to be objective etc ... but that doesn't change the fact that your argument is flawed, not least because it's reliant on significant unknowns (GWS & GC)

GWS and GC were created to succeed and were given every assistance to give them the best chance of doing that. You can't compare them to us, we will never be gifted that many top end draft picks to build a list from. Even with this in mind it still doesn't guarantee them sustained success.

Ladder positions does not guarantee good recruiting and development. Look at Geelongs, Hawks, Swans recruiting over the past 5 years. Compare that to Melbourne....

Anyway. Things I liked about tonight

Rowe- Solid down back. Just boss mode.
Hendo- HENNNDOOOOOOOO. Gun. Keep.
Waite- Real response from him tonight. Contested mark down back, then busted his arse up the field to finish with a goal was a real highlight.
Graham- The sheppherd then run to receive and goal was awsome. Full game next week please.
Murphy- Skipper. Growing into the role nicely now.
Gibbs- Gun and has still not reached the roof of his potential.
Wood- Great seeing a ruck take a mark around the ground for us

Good team effort. Plenty to build on.

Alright, take Johnson out.

My point still stands.

Yeah, fair point.

I'm particularly happy with doc, effectively getting rid of Hampson for him is a masterstroke and I think it will pay off big time long term. If we can keep pulling off amazing trades/pull clubs pants down every year, then yes fair enough. But I highly doubt that's going to happen.

Seriously.. I can't be the only person that thinks winning today will hurt us long term,

Ladder positions does not guarantee good recruiting and development. Look at Geelongs, Hawks, Swans recruiting over the past 5 years. Compare that to Melbourne....

Anyway. Things I liked about tonight

Rowe- Solid down back. Just boss mode.
Hendo- HENNNDOOOOOOOO. Gun. Keep.
Waite- Real response from him tonight. Contested mark down back, then busted his arse up the field to finish with a goal was a real highlight.
Graham- The sheppherd then run to receive and goal was awsome. Full game next week please.
Murphy- Skipper. Growing into the role nicely now.
Gibbs- Gun and has still not reached the roof of his potential.
Wood- Great seeing a ruck take a mark around the ground for us

Good team effort. Plenty to build on.

Agree with all of this

But where was it against GWS or Melbourne ot Brisbane????

Too little too late and imo we may as well have capitalized on a sh1t year by giving out recruiting team the best possible chance.

Keep in mind a low finish would mean even our second pick would have effectively been a higher pick than Watson or Bootsma

338789.jpg

Walker's hat?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

OK, here goes.

On the approach of gaming the system, taking losses now to achieve optimum potential success in the future.

You are operation on an assumption that:

a) the player you take with pick 5 is better then the player you take with pick 10.

b) that individual instances of success are no longer relevant to this season because the macro aim (a premiership) is no longer feasible.

c) that active manipulation of the system would not feel to some players to be a betrayal of their love of the game, and consequentially result in a loss of morale.

d) that wins such as this have no benefit comparable to a couple of draft places.

e) that we should take our emotions out of things to understand them better. WE ARE HUMAN. HUMAN'S ARE EMOTIONAL. How can you understand humans, how can you help them develop and grow into successful beings without understanding their emotions. This is the sort of win which the coach can hold up and say "look at this, this felt great, do you know why? because we believed, because we played as a team, because we stuck our tackles, because we didn't drop our heads, because we hit back when we needed to, THIS IS HOW WE WIN FROM NOW ON, BECAUSE WE ARE WINNERS WHEN WE PLAY LIKE THIS"

This was important Kreuzering, and I would trade a couple of measly draft places for the sort of opportunity that this presents easily.

Players want to be apart of successful teams, team's who are going places, not team's with the best draft picks.

It definitely did, if you cant see that you are crazy. Imagine beating essendon in 05 and getting Gumby instead of Gibbs, or beating melbourne and not having the pick to trade for Judd. Yes things have not worked out in our rebuild, but tanking was not to blame. In poker terms We have a sh1t hand, time to fold....if we keep banking on it, it's on going to cost us in the long run.

Okay Kruzering, let me see if I can explain it for you.

Every year 18 teams set out to win every game and a flag. Every year this never happens. No team wins every game, only one team wins a flag. Does this mean everyone else has failed? NO.

Every year boys become men. They try, train, run, tackle, kick goals and miss passes, get hurt, give out pain and spend their life's energy and their best years trying to achieve something essentially pointless. Winning games of football. And it makes a massive difference to them and their supporters, and their families, and people who all just love the game for its own sake. For the courage, the test of strength and character, the camaraderie, the artistry and beauty of the game, the impossible goals, the moments of drama and pathos, the towering marks that defy physics, the roller-coaster of emotions in every game and every season.

And every win and every loss matters. To those who play, and those who love the game.

If you think that's not the point you haven't a clue.

Its not about making endless calculations of possibility and chance to mathematically engineer a premiership.

Only fools think that way.

I've followed this club for 40 years. I've seen the highs and the lows. And tonight it matters to me that Jared Waite redeemed himself with skill, courage, guts and outstanding self-control. He proved to himself and the world that he can master his demons, his brain-snaps, and rein in his passion and put in the perfect performance. For just one game. That's something that thousands of men would give a hell of lot for. But we won't ever get that chance. We don't have what it takes to be a Carlton Champion. But he does. And I respect him for that, and will love this club till I die. And watch generations of young men take their turn and risk their bodies and their reputations.

So don't tell me this win doesn't matter.

Or that Bryce Gibbs isn't an ornament to the game and our club who we should be glad to have.

Or that Murphy and Jamo and Casboult and Tex Walker ain't meeting your tiny expectations this year.

If you think its all about winning a flag, you're wrong. You either get that or you don't.

And if you don't, well, more fool you.

Maybe he marked everything and tried hard offensively and defensively all night BECAUSE he had been dropped.

Exactly this. It's called good coaching. Waite wouldn't have played like that if he wasn't dropped.

Jeffy next please Mick.

First Carlton game I've been to all season and am I bloody glad I chose to go to this one!Very entertaining crowd members behind me, booing Judd every time he went near the ball to which we all responded by booing Harvey. All swearing and abusing Judd and Hendo, but they got the final word! Also found it hilarious when they had their score review, and found that we touched it well before the line all the North supporters cracked it :D

I was very impressed with Wood, great to see our ruck man float back and take an intercept mark. Also nearly chased down Boomer which was great. Robbo should be right, didn't look like (to me) that he made contact with his head, just had lots of momentum and caused some whiplash to whoever the North player was. Great work from Graham and seriously happy that he more or less got a full game (even though it was at the expense of Everitts) and that goal....

Thought we set up very well and everyone worked well together. North almost always had a spare behind the ball but we managed to negotiate our way through it pretty well and our tackling was the best I've seen it in a long while. We did have some very lucky calls go our way, but nothing the players can do and its about time we got the rub of the green.

Just wish we had of given Menz another week off, it is easy in hindsight but I dont think he looked right again tonight before getting crunched.

Sam Wright literally handcuffed himself to Menz. Was holding on illegally the whole game. But in hindsight I wish he didn't play either :(

Wow...stoked I flew down to witness tonight... Don't want to sleep cos I don't want to lose this feeling. : )
A lot to like! Good consistent effort thru the game ...they threw what they had at us in the 3rd and thankfully they didn't run over us..
Impressed by Gibbs, Simpson, docherty , wood, Rowe, Waite, yazz, juddy...
Here's hoping menzel and Everett don't having anything too serious... They looked alright walking off at the end and menzel ran around for a bit after he got buckled up... Fingers crossed for them...
Enjoy that winning feeling!!

Hendo is a gun.
Gibbs is a gun.
Yarran is a gun.
(all 25 and under might I add given we apparently only have a list of old plodders).

Doc is going to be seriously good. Nickey earn himself a full game.

Waite played the way he did because he was made to earn his spot (which he's never truly had to do before). It was good coaching. Waite wouldn't have played like that if he hadn't been dropped. Only Mick haters will say 'Waite should've never been dropped'.
Jeffy next please Mick.

Wood - broke even in the ruck but was the more influential ruck man around the ground for me. Has come so bloody far since I saw him being lapped at training in December. That tackle on Boomer was awesome.

Simmo - I seriously thought he'd be tagged out of the game with Walker out but he was back into good form. Love him.

Ed Curnow - Boomer probably had him in the first quarter but from then on he owned him. Kept Boomer to 1 second quarter possession. Love Ed.

Rowey - solid dependable defender. Tick to Mick.

Whitey - finally getting a serious run at it and we're seeing he is more than a capable player.

Juddy just showed patches of the old Juddster. With Gibbs & Murph dominating, Juddy doesn't need to be massive for 4 quarters. We can afford to have him making cameos if he's fulfilling his role.

Menz injury is certainly a downer on things + Dre's. Fingers crossed for both.

By the way - Hendo's match worn jumper is now 3/3 (including the win Hendo wore it in) for 15 goals from Hendo (Dogs, Stk & Norf). I guess I won't be framing it any time soon.

Can I just add - Boomer is a dirty player. Lachie Hansen isn't a defenders a-hole (intercept marker yes - one on one defender NO). Majak might be able to mark a footy but has no idea what to do with it after.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Rd 18 Blues d North Post Match Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back