Preview Rd 18 Pies V Cats Fri July 12 2024 740 pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think with the Pies injuries they'll have a few headaches at selection when they look at our weapons. Cameron - Stengle - Dangerfield - Stewart - Holmes. They still have a few players we need to put some thought into - the priority being Nick Daicos.

Not sure who our best match up is but as Hardwick pointed out recently, you need to have a plan and if the game is close in the last - be prepared to rotate a fresh player onto him and double down. So with that in mind, I think our sub will be someone we can swing into the game in the last who can play a lockdown role. For that reason I think we'll see either O'Connor or Mullin back in. Maybe O'Connor gets a full game and Mullin as the sub to come on and run with Daicos.

Jhye Clark will get his spell - so there's one spot. Knevitt might be stiff and miss out again unless the club thinks Duncan or Tuohy is due for a rest. We've recently come off a bye so I'm not sure it's a case of players desperately needing a rest yet. Will be an interesting week at selection. I think Humphries stays based on his last 2 weeks - he gives us a different look and is a very good ball user. Another option is Mannagh - play him as a defensive half forward and just tell him to stick on Daicos when he's floating across half back - his defensive efforts and tackle pressure on the weekend were a highlight. When Daicos is on the ball we switch up and have O'Connor or Atkins hunt him.
Think knevitt deserves to come back in as he's suited to MCG. Atkins can take daicos in centre and then we have plenty of small forwards who can take him when he's at half back

I'm naming Bews as a roughy this week for AFL selection pulled from Sundays VFL side and not on injury list.Watch this space.
Probably took him out to be measured up for a zimmer frame - I doubt we'll ever him again in the 1s.
Suspect someone will get a rest, maybe 2E, but no real changes - O Henry will start (Scott said as much at the after Hawks match). I'd love to knevitt back in, but I suspect he'll be in the twos, especially if his illness caused him a bit of deterioration in match fitness. Jy Clark to start as sub

Anyone seen the fake quote by Chris Scott on twitter?

Hilarious stuff, and the room temperature IQ Pies supporters are falling for it by the masses, shades of Messi/Miers with Whateley last year

IMG_3088.jpeg

Hilarious stuff, and the room temperature IQ Pies supporters are falling for it by the masses, shades of Messi/Miers with Whateley last year

View attachment 2044030
Isn't that Kennetts speech from 08 that created the Kennett Curse?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 2044030

Wait!!

You mean to say there's a Collingwood fan who can read????

I'm shook.

The “disconnected” Pies -v- the in-form Cats. Should be a win for the Cats but knowing these two teams it will be close. The Pies will find their connection.

Jezza and Stengle will be the difference IMO. Stengle was goalless last week and will be itching to get back to doing what he does best.

The “disconnected” Pies -v- the in-form Cats. Should be a win for the Cats but knowing these two teams it will be close. The Pies will find their connection.

Jezza and Stengle will be the difference IMO. Stengle was goalless last week and will be itching to get back to doing what he does best.
Pies getting the rev up from the media too, they’ll come out hard. We should win though if we’re serious

Knevitt in for Clark would be an improvement.
I do think it will be Knevitt for Clark, but I think unfortunately for Mitch he'll be the sub. With Ollie coming into the starting 22.

Though I do think our team is alittle over stacked with forwards.

Neale, Cameron, Stengle, Close, Miers, Mannagh, Rohan, Henry, all with pedigree as forwards. Throw in Dempsey for good measure, and our team is stacked with guys who know how to snag a goal. The question is more how adept they are at playing through the middle of ground too.

The key for this will be stopping overlap run/handball receives. They’re gonna be very shy for forwards who can mark in F50, with possible exception of Elliot, who may be back in.
The only way they kick a winning score is if their midfielders get 7-8 goals between them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Howe out now to add to the disconnection.

Absolute danger game against the Pies. All their injuries they will be pushing all the "backs against the wall" and "saving their season" stuff.

That said hopefully what we serve up to the Pies is the same as what happened to us last year around the same time where they lose a couple [loss V Cats and next week loss V Hawks], get a cheap win [V Tigers in Rd 20] before it crumbles on the run in [Pies have Blues @MCG, Swans @SCG, Lions @MCG and lastly Demons @MCG].

Nice of the AFL to look after the Pies though, 7 games left in the season and 6 of those at the MCG.

Meanwhile we go MCG, GMHBA, Tasmania, GMHBA, Optus, Marvel then GMHBA.

Absolute danger game against the Pies. All their injuries they will be pushing all the "backs against the wall" and "saving their season" stuff.

That said hopefully what we serve up to the Pies is the same as what happened to us last year around the same time where they lose a couple [loss V Cats and next week loss V Hawks], get a cheap win [V Tigers in Rd 20] before it crumbles on the run in [Pies have Blues @MCG, Swans @SCG, Lions @MCG and lastly Demons @MCG].

Nice of the AFL to look after the Pies though, 7 games left in the season and 6 of those at the MCG.

Meanwhile we go MCG, GMHBA, Tasmania, GMHBA, Optus, Marvel then GMHBA.
To be fair I'd rather our run home than theirs, if it goes badly for them (and its not that hard to imagine with the quality of their opposition) they might be lucky to squeeze another 2 wins out of the season. Flip side though is that if they do get the wins and make the 8 they will absolutely deserve to be there and will be dangerous to whoever they come up against.

From our perspective the Freo game at Optus looming as the toughest of the lot. The rest if we're going half well are all very winnable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back