Preview Rd 18 Pies V Cats Fri July 12 2024 740 pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

18-15 our way since 2004. Which I imagine is by far our worst record against any opponent over that time.
Yeah, they're always competitive against us.

Good news is we have been very successful against them in lots of finals:

- 2007 prelim
- 2009 prelim
- 2011 Grand Final
- 2020 Semi
- 2022 QF

They have beaten us in the 2010 prelim and 2019 QF. This is all off the top of my head; there could be others, but I think that's it.

I do think it will be Knevitt for Clark, but I think unfortunately for Mitch he'll be the sub. With Ollie coming into the starting 22.

Though I do think our team is alittle over stacked with forwards.

Neale, Cameron, Stengle, Close, Miers, Mannagh, Rohan, Henry, all with pedigree as forwards. Throw in Dempsey for good measure, and our team is stacked with guys who know how to snag a goal. The question is more how adept they are at playing through the middle of ground too.
I agree knevitt should return but not as sub. That should be a forward so I'd go Henry or Rohan. Then sub the other at halftime unless they are on

Yeah, they're always competitive against us.

Good news is we have been very successful against them in lots of finals:

- 2007 prelim
- 2009 prelim
- 2011 Grand Final
- 2020 Semi
- 2022 QF

They have beaten us in the 2010 prelim and 2019 QF. This is all off the top of my head; there could be others, but I think that's it.

Yes recently we have thank goodness , over the journey re finals re Coll , again i reckon it would be tight , they may just shade us

Flags are the name of the game and thus no Cats supporter is dissappointed re the last 16-17 years etc

However you mention finals , i think the only 2 clubs ( barring the new ones ) that Geel has got a positive Win/Loss record in finals against , are those 2 utter Powerhouse clubs called Footscray ( certain of ) and StKilda , and im not 100% certain on the Saints one , thats a definitely positively maybe one

Any chance Hardie gets a run?

Not sure he would this week - can't see you too many unforced changes to our midfield, and if they decide to bring Knevitt in after he missed last week due to illness, thinking it's likely to be for Clark and he'll take over the wing

They have dropped off 1% this year.. and that’s all that it takes to go from a side winning by 1-2 goals to losing
Its more than a 1% drop off for the Pies. Especially with the timing of some of their injuries.

The last 2 years Pies would have run down the Bombers, run down the Suns, got a result in that draw V Freo.

I would argue that this year the Pies started a good 10% off the pace and have brought that number in, but each week theres an injury or two.

Take the Bombers match, looking the goods but then an injury to Cameron and the Bombers mids took over.

It was funny that McClure was going off on footy crappified about how they miss Cox but the Pies barometer is Cameron. When he is injured or struggles they tend to lose.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting to see what we do with O.Henry this week. Clearly you can’t either drop or make sub, Rohan. Yet I’m not sure both can play together? Maybe they can.

The club will be reluctant to back Henry up as sub 2 weeks in a row too I would think. Touhy and Duncan are candidates to sub for management reasons but both have played well the past fortnight.
You can rest Rohan the first half but then when you sub out a mid what do you do?

Fly would never do that.
But good luck on Friday night.
May the best team win.
Yeah Scott was the same, half our injuries didn't even get listed. They just don't play at any level and didn't get listed for weeks. Was very annoying.

I think it's more fans and media that will accept the injury narrative where we didn't get that luxury.

I would prefer to go without the luxury personally

The move to Tom Stewart on ball should have been made a lot sooner, we could of won a few more games.
Maybe, but there's also a silver lining that there's only one likely finalist that we'll face in the run from here.

Most finalists won't have seen their structure up against this new system and with their own battles to fight from here they'd be unlikely to have sunk enough time into their analysis to do anything but back their structure.

Maybe, but there's also a silver lining that there's only one likely finalist that we'll face in the run from here.

Most finalists won't have seen their structure up against this new system and with their own battles to fight from here they'd be unlikely to have sunk enough time into their analysis to do anything but back their structure.
So true.

Maybe he will switch back to the half back flank before finals too.

You can rest Rohan the first half but then when you sub out a mid what do you do?

Regardless, in the form he’s in you start him on the ground. He’s been part of the reason for our form turnaround the past 2 games.

Not sure how they will manage the sub? Touhy is a good candidate as he can play multiple roles and would be better coming on when the heat is out of the game, yet he’s also been terrific lately.

Interesting to see what we do with O.Henry this week. Clearly you can’t either drop or make sub, Rohan. Yet I’m not sure both can play together? Maybe they can.

The club will be reluctant to back Henry up as sub 2 weeks in a row too I would think. Touhy and Duncan are candidates to sub for management reasons but both have played well the past fortnight.

Given the 6 day break and how tuohy has struggled after a few games in a row so i would imagine he is sub or 'managed'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back