Preview Rd.18 West Coast Eagles vs Brisbane Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems to be a few Nervous Nellies about in this preview thread.

Guys, we're third from the bottom, just knifed the coach and our best defender is currently traveling the Nullabor with a punctured lung and busted ribs.

If you win by less than 50pts it will have been a bad day for you.
It is sometimes referred to as Battered Lions Surporter Syndrome (BLSS) ... you can be oh so confident in our ability to win, even sure that we will win or almost that we deserve to win ... but there is that little voice in the back of your head that whispers reminders of games gone by where such similar feelings pre game were shattered upon the reality of a failure to deliver when the battle was finally joined.

We aren't as pessimistic as we sound ... it is just that a loss would fit so well into a narrative that already exists that we are pre-emtively responding as though it had already come true so it won't hurt so much if it does and we can be pleasantly surprised when something akin to a four quarter ruthless effort that scars the Eagles for the next decade unfolds before our incredulous but delighted eyes on Sunday afternoon.

It is sometimes referred to as Battered Lions Surporter Syndrome (BLSS) ... you can be oh so confident in our ability to win, even sure that we will win or almost that we deserve to win ... but there is that little voice in the back of your head that whispers reminders of games gone by where such similar feelings pre game were shattered upon the reality of a failure to deliver when the battle was finally joined.

We aren't as pessimistic as we sound ... it is just that a loss would fit so well into a narrative that already exists that we are pre-emtively responding as though it had already come true so it won't hurt so much if it does and we can be pleasantly surprised when something akin to a four quarter ruthless effort that scars the Eagles for the next decade unfolds before our incredulous but delighted eyes on Sunday afternoon.
That's a great explanation of why I try to limit my travels to see the Lions to coincide with us playing a bottom two team.

That's a great explanation of why I try to limit my travels to see the Lions to coincide with us playing a bottom two team.
But if they lose that must be even worse but I get where you are coming from. I’ve seen us a few times south cop hidings but I was kind of expecting it. One of the worse was that game against the Tigers in 17 or 18 when we only kicked two goals in the club’s lowest ever score. The highlight outside of finals was the win against Pies when Jono Freeman ran amok and we weren’t expected to win; that was fun. Debating travelling down to Gold Coast but it’s a hell of drive back if we lose.

Honestly if we fancy ourselves as a Top 4 team in the situation we're in we just go there focused, energised, stick to our gameplan and we win easily.

They've played ok on occasions at home and been belted by everybody anywhere else , many has beens in their lineup , not functioning effectively on the broader club level.

It's only the fear of ourselves that has people worried about this game. Should be a very comfortable win and if we can't win it then we don't really deserve to go much further than where we are this year.

But if they lose that must be even worse but I get where you are coming from. I’ve seen us a few times south cop hidings but I was kind of expecting it. One of the worse was that game against the Tigers in 17 or 18 when we only kicked two goals in the club’s lowest ever score. The highlight outside of finals was the win against Pies when Jono Freeman ran amok and we weren’t expected to win; that was fun. Debating travelling down to Gold Coast but it’s a hell of drive back if we lose.
If you exclude any game against Hawthorn we've actually been a lot more reliable against poorly performing clubs under Fagan, so my "system" is yet to backfire. We're more likely to drop a game or two against mid-table teams that we probably shouldn't.

Everyone needs to back off on the criticism of Pyke. Simpson has come out and confirmed they had spoken about coaching one last time. “This one’s on me” I believe he was quoted as saying.

Agree, one of the richest clubs in Australia currently have the worst performing AFL and AFLW teams. The last 5 years have been a disaster other than getting the number 1 pick last year.

From outsider looking in - there seems to be a fair bit of tail wagging the dog going on. Players SMS coming out to media, 30 year olds getting 3 year contracts etc. They need more cleanup beyond just Simpson.

From outsider looking in - there seems to be a fair bit of tail wagging the dog going on. Players SMS coming out to media, 30 year olds getting 3 year contracts etc. They need more cleanup beyond just Simpson.
Nisbett stayed too long - after the 2019 Premiership it was big fat contracts all round and the rot started - takes time to reverse the cycle

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It feels to me that Simmo is the scapegoat and while he probably had to go, what has been going on at the Eagles for the past few years is not down to just him.

In the past the Eagles have bounced quickly from the lower part of the ladder. I think they just assumed that they would bounce without changing their plans or attitude.
Like the investment disclaimer, past performance does not necessarily predict future performance.

In the past the Eagles have bounced quickly from the lower part of the ladder. I think they just assumed that they would bounce without changing their plans or attitude.
Like the investment disclaimer, past performance does not necessarily predict future performance.
From reading the Eagles board, it sounds like there is a lot of nepotism, or mates filling jobs where there could be better talent to fill the roles. The Eagles were successful IMO because they got the best WA footy people they could, as soon as you change that MO to include hiring mates and sons of ex-players or long time administrators etc. The outcome cannot be the same.

Pathetic by our medical team, why wasn't their scans taken when Payne had foot soreness before the Melbourne game in which he missed. Probably made it worse playing against Adelaide, putting him back a few extra weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back