Preview Rd.18 West Coast Eagles vs Brisbane Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t like bad mouthing players, although Joyce looked so far away from Afl Level without the ball in hand it’s not funny! I’m hoping a few games in a row could be beneficial for his form!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He was quite clearly hobbling out there last week, so he was obviously carrying it into the game still. Poor decision whichever way you look at it now unfortunately.
It also highlights how poor our MSD choices were in some way, not so much McLachlan or Beecken but then going another small forward in Craven with that third pick, who let’s be honest, is a position we are pretty stacked for or where mids can also play when we already knew we were very light on for KPDs as Gardiner and Doedee were already done for the year. So greater thought should have been given to that position as a back up because it’s pretty evident we’re screwed if Andrews or Lester goes down.

Very difficult to comprehend how we've made the same mistake with Payne 2 years running. Seemed self evident issue just watching him the last few weeks.

There'll be a story there which won't be told.
Well atleast he is out 7 weeks before finals this year, rather than waiting for the Prelim.
He has time to recover and get back cherry ripe for then, if we make it without him.

It also highlights how poor our MSD choices were in some way, not so much McLachlan or Beecken but then going another small forward in Craven with that third pick, who let’s be honest, is a position we are pretty stacked for or where mids can also play when we already knew we were very light on for KPDs as Gardiner and Doedee were already done for the year. So greater thought should have been given to that position as a back up because it’s pretty evident we’re screwed if Andrews or Lester goes down.
Was there anyone available that would have been of help right now?

No matter who we got in the MSD we are screwed if either of those two guys go down.

Payne out sucks, but hopefully it’s far enough out that he can come back strong and fit for the finals. Getting into finals form could be the issue.
Agreed, a shame he played against Adelaide - it effectively puts him 2 weeks behind on recovery. It doesn’t make a huge difference games-wise (6 weeks is 6 weeks), but the closer to the finals he gets back the bigger the risk.

We’ll just have to make do in the meantime!

North took ostensibly the best state league KPD in the preseason draft in Toby Pink and he's a complete potato. Notably worse than Joyce.

It's all fine to say we should recruit KPD depth but:
A) you can't recruit what is not there
B) Joyce is already fifth in line for our KPD slots. You won't find anything better getting that far down on other clubs lists.

On SM-A536E using BigFooty.com mobile app

I can tell you categorically that if there was anyone in the MSD who looked any hope of being up to KPD in Senior footy we would've picked them.

It's just my read that we've tried to nurse Payne through like last year but he's done again. And not unexpected by the club.

It's a big blow if we want to compete against the big dogs . I doubt he'll be back or if he is he won't be all that effective so maybe the brains trust need to look at our best options. Maybe an innovative option.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This blame game being played at the moment sh*ts me to tears. Carrying on like petulant know it all's or Collingwood supporters. Sometimes sh*t happens. Our medical staff aren't rookies, they have a fine track record. I'm sure due diligence was done. To rush to blame so quickly with absolutely no evidence, it's just childish.

Then the lack of respect for Joyce, a player that is only trying his best, buggs me too. Remember he is our 4th string tall defender behind Andrews, Payne and Gardiner. (Lester, Doedee, I see as 3rd med/tall defenders, Gardiner can too) Sure he has his deficiencies but effort and intent aren't some of them. His disposal is ok, he blankets his man pretty well, and he's not afraid to put his body on the line. To talk like he's already cost us a finals spot, or that we need an alternative quick, again it's just childish.

The fact is we don't have an alternative. Ah Chee is not a tall defender, and a first year fwd playing a few games down back like Lloyd would be worse than Joyce, people don't think that Prior is a med defender let alone a tall one, ZZ not ready and finally a ruck/fwd like Smith that would be far less mobile than Joyce is not the answer. I just read someone suggesting Dunkley, laughable.

This is the predicament we're in, thru no-ones fault. It's bad luck, that's all.

As a thoughtful, pragmatic poster has said earlier, Andrews to Allen, Lester should be able to handle Waterman and Joyce on the ageing and less effective Darling. We've seen Berry get back and support in defense, as do others. If our defensive plans or structures are solid and the effort is there, up n down the ground, we will be ok v Eagles and going fwd.

Pathetic by our medical team, why wasn't their scans taken when Payne had foot soreness before the Melbourne game in which he missed. Probably made it worse playing against Adelaide, putting him back a few extra weeks.
I am also interested. How do you know that scans were not taken before the Melbourne game?

This blame game being played at the moment sh*ts me to tears. Carrying on like petulant know it all's or Collingwood supporters. Sometimes sh*t happens. Our medical staff aren't rookies, they have a fine track record. I'm sure due diligence was done. To rush to blame so quickly with absolutely no evidence, it's just childish.

Then the lack of respect for Joyce, a player that is only trying his best, buggs me too. Remember he is our 4th string tall defender behind Andrews, Payne and Gardiner. (Lester, Doedee, I see as 3rd med/tall defenders, Gardiner can too) Sure he has his deficiencies but effort and intent aren't some of them. His disposal is ok, he blankets his man pretty well, and he's not afraid to put his body on the line. To talk like he's already cost us a finals spot, or that we need an alternative quick, again it's just childish.

The fact is we don't have an alternative. Ah Chee is not a tall defender, and a first year fwd playing a few games down back like Lloyd would be worse than Joyce, people don't think that Prior is a med defender let alone a tall one, ZZ not ready and finally a ruck/fwd like Smith that would be far less mobile than Joyce is not the answer. I just read someone suggesting Dunkley, laughable.

This is the predicament we're in, thru no-ones fault. It's bad luck, that's all.

As a thoughtful, pragmatic poster has said earlier, Andrews to Allen, Lester should be able to handle Waterman and Joyce on the ageing and less effective Darling. We've seen Berry get back and support in defense, as do others. If our defensive plans or structures are solid and the effort is there, up n down the ground, we will be ok v Eagles and going fwd.
I don't think anyone is blaming anyone BerryG. It's just perplexing that the same thing's happened 2 years running and as I said there'll be a story there. Most likely it was an op. and therefore miss the whole of '24 or try to nurse him through, as we did last year , and I'm expecting a similar outcome this year.

We're all here to give our honest opinion are we not. Joyce is what we have. It's not ideal .

Pathetic by our medical team, why wasn't their scans taken when Payne had foot soreness before the Melbourne game in which he missed. Probably made it worse playing against Adelaide, putting him back a few extra weeks.

Maate. You raged at the medical team that historically has been recognised as one of the best in the league. You called them pathetic. You stated definitively that the medical team did not take scans before the Melbourne game. A legitimate question was asked of you. How do you know that scans were not taken before the Melbourne game? Answer the question in an appropriate manner.

Just on the tallness of the WC lineup we should be looking to run them off their feet.

Tall lineups don't worry me at all except when you get to finals and you're playing against a high quality team where many of the talls can run and crumb as well as mark.

Maate. You raged at the medical team that historically has been recognised as one of the best in the league. You called them pathetic. You stated definitively that the medical team did not take scans before the Melbourne game. A legitimate question was asked of you. How do you know that scans were not taken before the Melbourne game? Answer the question in an appropriate manner.
He's had he same problem all year.

It's probably been scanned half a dozen times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back