Preview Rd.18 West Coast Eagles vs Brisbane Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im not sure they will though. I mean they weren’t about our form in games pre-bye (never having won one away in like ten or so attempts) or generally playing Hawthorn when they’ve been well below us for the past 4-5 years so this team has history of falling for this type of game. Wish it wasn’t the case, but it is.

Hopefully they set themselves for Jerry’s 150tg because it seems they need reasons to win occasionally if you know what I mean
To be fair, they did raise internally the Hawthorn situation leading up to that game this year. And they also brought up their past issues with byes etc leading up to the Bulldogs game.

It didn't help them against Hawthorn but their performance against the Bulldogs was outstanding.

So it was good that it seems as tho we have made progress in at least identifying these historical trends. But for now, as you're alluding to, it's a one-off and we will do well to draw from our match against Carlton in 2019 and against Gold Coast last year.

To be fair, they did raise internally the Hawthorn situation leading up to that game this year. And they also brought up their past issues with byes etc leading up to the Bulldogs game.

It didn't help them against Hawthorn but their performance against the Bulldogs was outstanding.

So it was good that it seems as tho we have made progress in at least identifying these historical trends. But for now, as you're alluding to, it's a one-off and we will do well to draw from our match against Carlton in 2019 and against Gold Coast last year.
I’m talking pre bye games not post bye.

Yeah
Had tears in my eyes
The super sub Green
The torpedo
Our grand final that year
Gets forgotten about when stacked up against the 'miracle on grass', but was a far better game overall. The last quarter, which ran 37 or 38 minutes, was extraordinary.

Since the bye we seemed to really set ourselves for 2 games.

Dogs - massive underdogs, we had been crap especially post bye. brought the heat

Port - port had been smashed in the media in the lead-up to this game. fans restless, flag hopes they said were done. it was a massive danger game and we did incredibly well especially when they started with the first 2 goals, and also started the second quarter hot.

So surely there isn't a shadow of a doubt now that we are setting ourselves for a cauldron like atmosphere and a side playing its grand final. Fagan should tell them they will come out breathing fire, the crowd will be willing them on, and if at any stage of the game they kick 2-3 goals it will be like they are top of the ladder.

It's way too close a season to say we are done if we lose this (we could lose this and beat sydney, who knows). But what a huge game. WIN and we get what will feel like a free hit v Sydney. LOSE and Sydney game becomes a season-ending one and all of a sudden we are a nervy team at home instead of a confident one having won 6 on the trot.

For me, a total outsider the sacking of Simpson doesn't seem as clean as some of the other sacking that have got the bounce back from the team. Simpson seems a really nice bloke, well respected and well liked across footy although not so much by some in the Eagles team.

Set aside the Eagles wanted him there to avoid a huge multi-million $ payout and a coach sitting around doing nothing.

rumours, if true, at least a core of older players wanted him gone, but did all the playing group? seems not. Some players will lift thinking the shackles are off and they cannily freely, I'm thinking the younger core are saying, "of cr#p, is this what footy is about". I feeling that as many that lift there will be as many more just confused.

I'm sure the Eagles have a coaching plan for Sunday, but externally it seems still on Wednesday the blood is being cleaned up but no one is yet sure who will pull the strings - there didn't seem an easy obvious replacement just waiting with an alternative game plan like there has been in other instances.

I'm still thinking - we get the job done, it will be closer than we expected now but we get over the line and that is all that matters.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-07-10 at 2.55.54 pm.png
    Screenshot 2024-07-10 at 2.55.54 pm.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 37
Tim Gossage reporting Simpson won't coach, so Schofield takes the reins.

I wonder if they put Simpson around on a car or something?

Not sure what i was hoping for. But given murmurings of unrest Simpson coaching would probably have helped.

My mind takes me to 1999. Last round of the year. Tony Shaw's last match. Last EVER match at Victoria Park. Cold drizzly day suiting the locals.

Pies playing on emotion an absolutely jam-packed stadium totally one-sided.

Lions needing to win too secure third spot on the ladder.

We came out absolutely on fire. 33 points up at quarter time. Pies were never in the match.

If this side is fair dinkum about this year we win this, based on that. We have too much at stake.

Just not confident we will - but take that as a good sign i have been off us generally since the geelong match and declared us COOKED after the hawks game

I feel like you just know it’s going to happen though.

I flagged weeks ago that they have an elite core group, including three exceptional KPF and two solid KPD (looks like McGovern plays) and throw in Yeo, Kelly and Reid and our general ineptitude in games it’s obvious the opposition will be up and about and it has all the ingredients for the obvious loss.

Of course I hope we win, but I doubt we will and have tipped West Coast accordingly. Sadly, I still don’t trust this group in these sorts of games until our actions consistently proves otherwise.

Highly doubt McGovern plays, would be a liability. Give him a good bump and he’d go down like a sack of potatoes. Plus given he’s already punctured a lung surely they’d want to give him another week or two for the fracture to start healing again, otherwise it’s just flapping in the breeze and ready to be bumped directly into said lung again.

Highly doubt McGovern plays, would be a liability. Give him a good bump and he’d go down like a sack of potatoes. Plus given he’s already punctured a lung surely they’d want to give him another week or two for the fracture to start healing again, otherwise it’s just flapping in the breeze and ready to be bumped directly into said lung again.
I was reading in to it he is driving back to be at the game, not play. You can't send a bloke out in that condition, it's not an ACTUAL final anyway.

Would be interesting if it's a new coach but a day all about Simpson. Mixed vibes? i think that would be a weird place to be psychologically - playing for the interim coach. the old coach is sitting in the stands.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was reading in to it he is driving back to be at the game, not play. You can't send a bloke out in that condition, it's not an ACTUAL final anyway.

Would be interesting if it's a new coach but a day all about Simpson. Mixed vibes? i think that would be a weird place to be psychologically - playing for the interim coach. the old coach is sitting in the stands.

Like taking your new girlfriend out to dinner, and the ex wife is at the same table :p

I’m reserved about our chances on winning it this year. Going to have to lift a little defensively if we’re to go deep in finals. But definitely growing in confidence each week. Our mids have been super. Forwards are much more consistent across four quarters. And the defence is providing good rebound.

Games like this are like any other. It’s all in the preparation. I am not expecting us to belt them but I do expect us to be ready for anything they throw at us and counter it eventually.

Thinking Brain will come in for Starc. Beekin would do a job too. Henry Smith might come in for Logan Morris. Can help Big O in the ruck more than Daniher. Keep him fresher for Grundy the week after.

Seems to be a few Nervous Nellies about in this preview thread.

Guys, we're third from the bottom, just knifed the coach and our best defender is currently traveling the Nullabor with a punctured lung and busted ribs.

If you win by less than 50pts it will have been a bad day for you.

Guys, we're third from the bottom, just knifed the coach and our best defender is currently traveling the Nullabor with a punctured lung and busted ribs.

It sounds like someone is just trying to get us into a false sense of security so we let our guard down......

MWPP guaranteed an Eagles win though :/

MWPP guaranteed an Eagles win though :/
I’ll be at the game, like with every other home game (and one away game) so far this year. I honestly don’t see us getting within 50 points either but I hope I’m wrong. Simmo deserves a respectful farewell (even if it’s just the pregame farewell as he has confirmed that he won’t be coaching the game). A Buckley style post sacking upset is a pipe dream bonus.

I’ll be at the game, like with every other home game (and one away game) so far this year. I honestly don’t see us getting within 50 points either but I hope I’m wrong. Simmo deserves a respectful farewell (even if it’s just the pregame farewell as he has confirmed that he won’t be coaching the game). A Buckley style post sacking upset is a pipe dream bonus.

The press conference was anything but a respectful farewell IMO. Felt bad for Simmo - deserves better.

Normally only post on the music thread so unknown here (big fan of the girls team) but if we don't have at the minimum a 20-30 point win this weekend we are struggling.
I'm in the West and it feels the arse has really dropped out of the Eagles.
A club at war with itself.
Get the impression they will probably fire a shot or two but that will be it.
No excuses.
Edit: perfect weather too from the latest forecasts.

Just remember we gave you Yeo for a bargain price. We are your friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back