Preview Rd 20 Geelong v North Sat July 27 2024 145 pm @ Tassie

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the Geel ground where Footscray have won only a handfull of times since World War 1 , the Scrays had 30 scoring shots to our paltry 13

A 47 pt winning margin , if they had kicked reasonably accurately it would have been an 87 pt margin

That was a horrendous game by Geel , and i think the Cats are on the slippery dip .
Well, no, according to expected score it would’ve been 68. However that doesn’t take into account the easy goals given up in the last due to the team trying to open up and win, similar to the blues game.

You can have your opinion. But you should at least consider other results when looking at how the team is tracking. We’ve had some great wins this year and the dogs have had some bad losses, are they on a slippery slope too?

Last edited:
If it’s wet on Saturday
Out Dempsey, parf,
In Neal, Bruhn

Dry
Out parf, Ted
In Neal, bruhn

Even more incredible people can’t blame our home games for making top 4 as we have lost 3 at home so far
We had an unusually soft draw this year. That is why we are still in the race. We had a good preseason and a bunch of our competitors had interrupted preseasons. We peaked early and it has been downhill from there. The teams that started slowly are peaking at the right time, the Bulldogs and GWS for example. We are a long way off their current standard and are still on the decline. We lost by 8 goals at home to the Bulldogs but it could easily have been 15 goals. Can Geelong pull a rabbit out of the hat? I doubt it but stranger things have happened.

Last edited:

On the Geel ground where Footscray have won only a handfull of times since World War 1 , the Scrays had 30 scoring shots to our paltry 13

A 47 pt winning margin , if they had kicked reasonably accurately it would have been an 87 pt margin

That was a horrendous game by Geel , and i think the Cats are on the slippery dip .
On the flip side we were only 9 points down mid third quarter..

We had an unusually soft draw this year. That is why we are still in the race.

That's just not true so far. Our draw so far has been slightly harder than you would expect.

We've doubled up against teams sitting 2nd, 9th and 11th. All those are within the top 13 relatively even strong teams this year.

We're yet to play the teams sitting 4th and 16th. So far we've actually had 1 less game against the easier bottom 3 teams than you would expect. Our draw hasn't helped us at all up to this point.

The difference is from here on our draw on paper looks very easy with us playing teams placed 4, 14, 15, 16 and 17. That's why if we're good enough top 4 is still a real chance.

We had an unusually soft draw this year. That is why we are still in the race. We had a good preseason and a bunch of our competitors had interrupted preseasons. We peaked early and it has been downhill from there. The teams that started slowly are peaking at the right time, the Bulldogs and GWS for example. We are a long way off their current standard and are still on the decline. We lost by 8 goals at home to the Bulldogs but it could easily have been 15 goals. Can Geelong pull a rabbit out of the hat? I doubt it but stranger things have happened.
That's just making shit up lmao. GWS and our seasons are almost direct parallels of each other.

Both started on fire. 7-0 for us, 6-1 for them, followed by huge form slumps.

Over the next 7 games, we went 1-6, while they went 2-5.

As for "peaking at the right time" our last month sees us sit at 3-1, the exact same record as the Giants & Bulldogs over that period.

We've had one loss in that period by 47 points, while the Bulldogs one loss came at 48 points.

If you don't rate us as a threat this season, that's fine - I'm actually inclined to agree with you - but at least pick a narrative that actually occurred, not the story you're trying to create.

I think a few are being unfair to Goggin Our Best and I'll preface that by saying he could very easily end up being wrong.

But who here can accurately predict 5 years into the future?

5 years ago in 2019 we had no genuine foil for Hawkins often playing Ratugolea as the 2nd forward.

We had a 2nd highest goal scorer as veteran Ablett Jr, whilst also playing Atkins, Dahlhaus and Miers as small forwards. Jordan Clark was playing games across HFF and not impressing.

We had a slow and turgid build up from a tall and slow backline with Taylor, Henderson, Henry and Kolodjashnij. Whilst twig high school kid wannabe Zach Guthrie wasn't getting games, and the thought of him playing made most upset given he'd get pushed aside.

Young players Clark, Constable, Narkle and Parfitt were seen as our bright young future and our dominant midfielder was Tim Kelly. Small midfielder Lachie Fogarty was stuck in the VFL.

Knowing all that who here could have predicted that Sav would get a big money offer to be a key defender and leave. Clark would fall out with Scarlett and leave, and become an accomplished player.

None of Constable, Narkle or Parfitt would end up doing all that much.
Henderson and Taylor would be replaced by 200cm+ athletic FB who wins a flag and nearly the Rising Star to now be our ruckman. Milky Bar kid Zach Guthrie is legitimately one of the best players in his role and position and one of our consistent defensive performers.

Tim Kelly would go home for a swathe of picks, to then be used on star forward Jeremy Cameron.
We take a troubled small forward off the scrap heap and turn him into an All Australian forward. 5 time All Australian defender Tom Stewart becomes a midfielder and is probably our 2nd best at it.

Gary Rohan, often mocked by footy fans, puts in two good finals as we win a premiership. With a Hawthorn escapee as our Norm Smith medalist.
The AFL would tick off giving a token late pick to Gold Coast for an established player and a top 10 pick.

We'd select Ollie Dempsey in the rookie draft and with just over a month left in the season is a strong chance at the Rising Star award. The AFL finally respects Tasmania enough to introduce its own team.

6-6-6 and stand rules come in. The HTB rule becomes a mess as CEO declares umpiring has never been better. And the footy public is collectively confused over what tackles are allowed.

And lastly, the world would be shutdown for close to two years as a wet market in China releases a virus that kills millions, stops sport, industry and entertainment and sees a GF (which we played in) get sent to the GABBA.

Anyone here predict even a quarter of these things? Anyone?

Maybe, GOB gets proven right 5 years from now.
None of you know what will happen.

I dont understand how we are such strong favourites real danger game, play our best footy or we are getting embarrassed here.

I'm a bit surprised how short we are. But before last week we did beat Essendon, Hawthorn and Collingwood all pretty easily and looked to have found some form.

And as much as North have improved they've still only beaten West Coast who are terrible and Gold Coast who are terrible away from home. I don't expect it to be a walkover but a loss would be immensely disappointing.

Would be a brave move to make a statement on him
Clearly that’s not going to happen, which is my point.

I’m still seething about Jeremy Cameron’s game at the weekend.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jezza has always got a free pass because he's Jezza, but in reality the bloke needs a rocket, too much laconic laziness of late needs to work alot harder and actually compete when the opposition put a good player on him.

For mine given last week's form

Out parfitt, Knevitt, Clohesy O henry Duncan managed
In Bruhn, Atkins, Neale, Stanley hardie

Kolo sdk zuthrie
Stewart Henry humphries
Holmes Danger Blicavs
Miers Neale Stengle
Close Cameron Dempsey
Stanley Atkins Bruhn
Bowes Tuohy Rohan Mannagh
Hardie (sub)

Last edited:

One of the things that gives us such big variance in our performance is that our best two players, Cameron and Stewart can either be best on ground or absolutely shocking.

For elite players they are both capable of very bad games.

Would expect a big Cameron game this week.

For mine given last week's form

Out parfitt, Knevitt, Clohesy O henry Duncan managed
In Bruhn, Atkins, Neale, Stanley hardie

Kolo sdk zuthrie
Stewart Henry humphries
Holmes Danger Blicavs
Miers Neale Stengle
Close Cameron Dempsey
Stanley Atkins Bruhn
Bowes Tuohy Rohan Mannagh
Hardie (sub)

Stanley just isn't up to it anymore by all accounts, and Clohesy stays in for mine.

Out: SDK (rested), Parfitt (dropped), Clohesy (dropped), Duncan (managed), Knevitt (dropped)

IN: Stanley, Bruhn, Atkins, Neale

Stanley just isn't up to it anymore by all accounts, and Clohesy stays in for mine.
Stanley just has to stand up and run with Xerri the best he can. If we want the same thing happening to SDK as happened to his brother, well leave him in the ruck. I certainly don't see that as a positive.

cats by 38, but to only lead by a goal at HT.
will be interesting to see what the conditions are like

in: neale, atkins, bruhn
out: parfitt, knevitt, clohesy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back