Preview Rd 22 Cats V Freo Sat Aug 10 2024 435pm @ Optus

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another meh selection from our MC this year. They're barely going this season.
Given we're half a game off second and one game off top spot (while rocking one of the bottom six midfields in the comp), that really is a savage indictment on the rest of the AFL.

Or maybe it's just one of the more spurious statements I've seen here in quite some time.

Given we're half a game off second and one game off top spot (while rocking one of the bottom six midfields in the comp), that really is a savage indictment on the rest of the AFL.

Or maybe it's just one of the more spurious statements I've seen here in quite some time.
We'd be top of the table if they actually acted during the mid season malaise.
Took far too long to make any personnel changes.

Bruhn out v Port and then 'managing' Bowes that week cost us 4pts.

Predictable changes.

The irrational dislike of Tuohy around here is bizarre. He struggled last week but his best footy this year has been very good. He's a long way ahead of Bews.
You keep going down this path. I agree with you on most things but not this one. And I say this as someone who has absolutely loved Tuohy's time at Geelong. He's had a great career.

He's had a so-so year bordering on poor. Very hit and miss across the season and within games.

I think you asked the other week why people think he's been any worse than Duncan and besides the eye test, I provided a fairly hefty case for why Duncan (who cops a lot of heat) has been leagues above Tuohy this season just like he was in 2023.

As for the comparison to Bews, well I'm not one of the people who thinks Bews is still in our best 23. O'Connor has been up and down himself but he's the one I'd play in Tuohy's role, with the added bonus of tagging midfielder being in his arsenal. Mullin is still a bit too raw. But we are still doing things like playing Bowes as the sub (I know you don't rate him at all), so who knows. Tuohy is definitely still rated by Scott et al.

We'd be top of the table if they actually acted during the mid season malaise.
Took far too long to make any personnel changes.

Bruhn out v Port and then 'managing' Bowes that week cost us 4pts.
Even if we'd got over the line in that game, we still wouldn't be top of the table, given our percentage.

And I'd argue the absolutely miserable effort of almost the entire playing group up until half-time in that game was far more costly than the selection decisions around Bruhn and Bowes. As was evidenced by the fact that we ran them down in a canter once the 22 out there on the night decided to actually start putting in.

You keep going down this path. I agree with you on most things but not this one. And I say this as someone who has absolutely loved Tuohy's time at Geelong. He's had a great career.

He's had a so-so year bordering on poor. Very hit and miss across the season and within games.

I think you asked the other week why people think he's been any worse than Duncan and besides the eye test, I provided a fairly hefty case for why Duncan (who cops a lot of heat) has been leagues above Tuohy this season just like he was in 2023.

As for the comparison to Bews, well I'm not one of the people who thinks Bews is still in our best 23. O'Connor has been up and down himself but he's the one I'd play in Tuohy's role, with the added bonus of tagging midfielder being in his arsenal. Mullin is still a bit too raw. But we are still doing things like playing Bowes as the sub (I know you don't rate him at all), so who knows. Tuohy is definitely still rated by Scott et al.

Tuohy has been up and down but he's played 5-6 excellent games. Miles above anything MOC or Bews has come near. You have to back him in to perform come finals cause to be any chance we need him near his best.

As for Bews he got absolutely torched time and time and time again by Rachele on the weekend. It's absolutely laughable his defensive side is talked up when he was dominated like that. And if he's not contributing defensively he offers very little.

No kpd in for sdk leaves me nervous hopefully we can handle their forwards..clearly no faith in jeka.

Bews out is unsurprising..hes had a good career. Reckon the same thing will happen to tuohy in 2-3 weeks.

Touhy hasn’t had a good year. He’s been a legend. A warrior but he cannot win one on one contests anymore. He and Mitch also cannot play in the same defensive 6. It’s one or the other.

Jed Bews is stiff.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Predictable changes.

The irrational dislike of Tuohy around here is bizarre. He struggled last week but his best footy this year has been very good. He's a long way ahead of Bews.

Hes a long way ahead of bews but i doubt either is in the chosen 23 come finals.

Anyone want to explain why you call him Doritos, and will I be tarred, feathered and banned for saying it’s a bit of a cringey nickname.

Definitely co-sign this. Lawson is hopefully going to be a long term gun for us, let's not spend 10-15 years calling this dude "Doritos" lol

Need something better

A summary of the Adelaide 3rd quarter comeback from last week.

9.30 left - Rachele loses Bews to crumb off a pack and misses a very gettable snap.
7.40 left - Rachele bodies Bews who gets beaten by a scrambled ground ball. Rachele gets back to lay a big tackle on Blicavs and Blicavs' man kicks a goal from the spill with Bews not a factor.
6.15 left - Adelaide break out the back and Bews is beaten back to goal by Rachele who kicks the goal.
3.15 left - Bews gets inexplicably lost on Rachele who gets out the back for an easy goal.
2.40 left - Bews again let's Rachele out the back 1 on 1 and is lucky Rachele doesn't commit to going back with the flight and drops a simple mark.

And people around here want him selected to shut down opposition small forwards? Just imagine the reaction if Mullin was torched like that.

Definitely co-sign this. Lawson is hopefully going to be a long term gun for us, let's not spend 10-15 years calling this dude "Doritos" lol

Need something better
It’s “Hummer”.

I must say i like Tuohy in the side , beautiful kick , and he has put in some good games this year

What i find quite humorous , is when a player like Hardie is discussed ( and im not suggesting at all that he should be in the senior team ) however the ones who have steadfastly said he isnt up to it , they have pedalled out the same line , oh look mate , the coaches and selectors are alot closer to the scene than you , and thus ive got full confidence in them continually overlooking him

Well all i can say to the ones who dont want Tuohy in the side ( and some even want him retired ) is that ive got full confidence in the coach and selectors who are alot closer to the action than they are .

Touhy hasn’t had a good year. He’s been a legend. A warrior but he cannot win one on one contests anymore. He and Mitch also cannot play in the same defensive 6. It’s one or the other.

The stats say it's been Tuohy's career best year for conceding contested defensive losses. I see all this Tuohy bashing on this board with no real substance. All I take out of it is "He's the only 34-year-old on the list I'm comfortable bagging." He's had a good year. Much better than Duncan's year, although I know people will say "look at Duncan's possession count", spare me.

1723108427938.png

The stats say it's been Tuohy's career best year for conceding contested defensive losses. I see all this Tuohy bashing on this board with no real substance. All I take out of it is "He's the only 34-year-old on the list I'm comfortable bagging." He's had a good year. Much better than Duncan's year, although I know people will say "look at Duncan's possession count", spare me.

View attachment 2072376

He has been in 7 defensive 1 on 1s marking contests all season, it is not really an impactful stat for him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back