Preview Rd 22 - Geelong V Saints - Sat Aug 14 2021- 435 pm @ GMHBA

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Could there be anything in the fact that Stewart was originally named yesterday despite having already suffered the injury at training?

We aren’t exactly playing mind games by withdrawing him 24 hours before the bounce.

Potentially he wasn’t ruled out until today implying it may not be something immediately diagnosed as serious?

Or am I clutching at straws?
1628853506444.gif 1628853506444.gif

Are you referring to him constantly performing in final after final under massive pressure last year. You know being close to our top ten performers under the ridiculous heat that comes with finals and grand finals where he continually stepped up.

Oh no that's right you are talking about an injured player in a minor round game hahahahaha. This truly is an insane take. Even if you too out all of last years finals no one that matters in the coaching panel would make any judgement about a missed set shot at goal. If they are I want them immediately fired because they are horrific at their job are adjudicating how to assess and develop talent.

Truly bizarre from you

Unlike you I don't want to accept unreliable goal kicking.
I expect professional players to fix their goal kicking issues, be they technique or mental.
Great as Danger is as footballer his goal kicking is often frustrating.
Watch Bews and Kolo in pre-game warm up kicking goals from 45m without miss
Yet during the game, the same two players tense up and miss the same 45m kick.
We have too many players with bad set-shot technique that cost the team a few goals every game.
Yes I'm annoyed by it.. because I still recall Mooney missing from the goal square in 2008
I'm sure you will excuse that too.

To put a few things into perspective, we're playing the Saints who have lost their last 9 games in Geelong by an average of 52 points, and their last win in Geelong was way back in 1999 when we were in the midst of a 9 game losing streak.

Although the Saints had a good win last week against Sydney, in the 2 games prior to that they lost to Carlton (who lost to North the week before, and Gold Coast the week after) and also against West Coast, who haven't won since. Not exactly the most impressive form line going in.

No reason why we can't bring in everyone bar Stewart by week 1/2/3 of finals.

Jez + Smith + improved Henry - Stewart = ahead.

If we are going to miss Stewart and Duncan for some/all of this finals series, Jez and Smith are going to be even more pivotal than we already thought. Their footy for us this season puts them both in the top six at the club. And they both have the capacity to change the face of a game on the basis of their talent alone.

If/when it gets tight in finals, they are precisely the types that you want to have with the ball in their hands.

Too many blokes either out injured or not going to be at 100% fitness in coming weeks.

It's not just Stewart. It's the cumulative effect of him, Atkins, Tuohy, Miers, Henderson, Cameron, Duncan, Rohan, O'Conner etc etc just not enough miles in the legs for a solid finals campaign.

We are going to be asking our C and B graders to step up to A. A couple might but you can't expect them all to.

I’d be throwing MOC back. We played our worst footy for the year when he was “tagging” and he won’t have the fitness base.

We will have a very negative back 6 (7 with rotations) with some really bad ball users and kickers but it will be different to the Power, Bulldogs and Dees free wheeling style.

We just can’t let the ball live in our defence or expect the ball to chain all the way from deep 50.

Blitz for mine must go back to that wing/centre back role and leave Hendo, Henry and Kolo to lock down.
Stop Jack Steele and well win the game regardless of who is in defence, has to be in the midfield for mine

Stewart is one of our few genuine A-graders and arguably our very best player. It would be like the Dees losing Petracca.

Our defence will now look very pedestrian indeed - particularly as we may need to move Henry on to the ball or forward if things are going badly - and this will have repercussions up the field.

It's very deflating news indeed. Is there an unsung hero waiting in the wings - Freddie or.....?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Too many blokes either out injured or not going to be at 100% fitness in coming weeks.

It's not just Stewart. It's the cumulative effect of him, Atkins, Tuohy, Miers, Henderson, Cameron, Duncan, Rohan, O'Conner etc etc just not enough miles in the legs for a solid finals campaign.

We are going to be asking our C and B graders to step up to A. A couple might but you can't expect them all to.

Could not agree more. It a big concern to think that players like the ones quoted are very underdone and are expected to be thrown into the senior side and expected to perform straight away. Our depth is evidently not nearly as deep as teams like the Giants. Missing experienced players like Touhy, Duncan, Stewart, Rohan and Atkins bloody hurts. What a year to skip the pre finals bye.

Lets hope we bring some heat to the contest from the first qtr. here's looking at you Mr Stanley. Bring some bloody intensity from the first bounce. He had an exceptional last qtr last week, need more of that intensity for 4 qtrs.

Only silver lining I can see from a potentially season-ending injury to Tom Stewart is that it will make us less predictable.
Some clubs been eyeing off Stewart as one of the keys to our success and have started to finally dedicate the appropriate level of attention to curtailing him.

He's been in red-hot form ever since returning from his broken collarbone last year, barely put a foot wrong in that time apart from his 100th match against Brisbane when Cameron pantsed him.

But we can't just throw in the towel now - we're in a position to compete come September and the club has to find a way to get the job done.

In terms of restructuring, it is an interesting one - do we try to fill the role that Stewart had been playing or just let the defensive core play to their respective strengths?

If we're looking for someone to even attempt the Tom Stewart role then I suppose it has to be Jack Henry, even though he has been highly effective playing FB.
He has the aerial judgement, aerobic capacity and much of the skill required to fill that void.
Stewart is a lot quicker to sum things up with a relieving kick off half-back though; no one will be able to replicate that, Henry can't.

If Henry vacates the full back post then who plays FB? Has to be Blicavs.
Which might mean Ratugolea has more rucking to do, along with his stints up forward.

It'd be an interesting reshuffle, I actually don't think it looks too bad on paper.

Obviously Tom Stewart makes the side a million times better. But if he is in trouble then the club would be planning how best to cover his loss right now.

The other option is to just let the defenders play their natural roles, and keep Blicavs in the Mystery Mid role (i.e. back-up ruckman/defensive space filler) that he's been playing this year - this might necessitate making the hard call on Ratugolea once Rohan is fit to play.

There's been a bit of talk about Matthew Egan in this thread; I absolutely loved the way he was playing in the couple of seasons culminating in our '07 breakthrough - he was probably my favourite player around that time behind Scarlett and Chapman.

We lost him on the eve of Finals that year and were good enough to overcome the blow.

This 2021 Ford Cat isn't as powerful as the 2007 model, but it is a different competition now and we might just have enough depth of talent to still give it a really good shake even without access to our very best 22.

Stewart is elite and at his peak. He's easily among Geelong's biggest weapons, and probably our best player. He is central to our game plan. Sure, others can play his role, but none will play at his level week in week out. I'd say he's now harder to replace than Dangerfield, and on par with Hawkins as far as importance to team structure goes. Basically, if he doesn't plays finals, it's a massive loss.

Unfortunately, winning the premiership always involves winning the medical room Russian roulette.

Still, it will be intersting to see how they restructure this weekend.

Last edited:
In terms of restructuring, it is an interesting one - do we try to fill the role that Stewart had been playing or just let the defensive core play to their respective strengths?

If we're looking for someone to even attempt the Tom Stewart role then I suppose it has to be Jack Henry, even though he has been highly effective playing FB.
He has the aerial judgement, aerobic capacity and much of the skill required to fill that void.
Stewart is a lot quicker to sum things up with a relieving kick off half-back though; no one will be able to replicate that, Henry can't.

If Henry vacates the full back post then who plays FB? Has to be Blicavs.
Which might mean Ratugolea has more rucking to do, along with his stints up forward.

It'd be an interesting reshuffle, I actually don't think it looks too bad on paper.

Obviously Tom Stewart makes the side a million times better. But if he is in trouble then the club would be planning how best to cover his loss right now.

The other option is to just let the defenders play their natural roles, and keep Blicavs in the Mystery Mid role (i.e. back-up ruckman/defensive space filler) that he's been playing this year - this might necessitate making the hard call on Ratugolea once Rohan is fit to play.

There's been a bit of talk about Matthew Egan in this thread; I absolutely loved the way he was playing in the couple of seasons culminating in our '07 breakthrough - he was probably my favourite player around that time behind Scarlett and Chapman.

We lost him on the eve of Finals that year and were good enough to overcome the blow.

This 2021 Ford Cat isn't as powerful as the 2007 model, but it is a different competition now and we might just have enough depth of talent to still give it a really good shake even without access to our very best 22.

Common sense mixed with football nous ..as always.

I think another difference to 07 is the lack of VFL form ..we had form etc to look at. I think in terms of high intercept marking ..and I have rubbery idea of who could be doing that ..but we have no reference point. I think Henderson, Blitz and Henry is enough to get it done and will probably be the way we go ..before gearing up a higher risk options. Players OHead in the VFL capable of playing back but none will be close to Stewart who has over a 100 games on the clock and is 28and1/2. We have looked at Kruger , Id say they feel he is still on track but not ready. Sdek would be a interesting but is probably rawer. With training someone like Jarvis might be capable, almost the same size and good ohead..but thats a willd way ..and I cant see CS going with someone he has not tried and built a trust with.

I really feel what we miss with Stewart now is another thats good by foot. Coming out of the backline now , we have few guys id trust when the heat is on. All have the propensity to pluck the duck. No Duncan, no 2e , no Stewart ... its starting to push the edge if we play of chess footy.

What it probably means is it make it even more important to win it in the middle.

Common sense mixed with football nous ..as always.

I think another difference to 07 is the lack of VFL form ..we had form etc to look at. I think in terms of high intercept marking ..and I have rubbery idea of who could be doing that ..but we have no reference point. I think Henderson, Blitz and Henry is enough to get it done and will probably be the way we go ..before gearing up a higher risk options. Players OHead in the VFL capable of playing back but none will be close to Stewart who has over a 100 games on the clock and is 28and1/2. We have looked at Kruger , Id say they feel he is still on track but not ready. Sdek would be a interesting but is probably rawer. With training someone like Jarvis might be capable, almost the same size and good ohead..but thats a willd way ..and I cant see CS going with someone he has not tried and built a trust with.

I really feel what we miss with Stewart now is another thats good by foot. Coming out of the backline now , we have few guys id trust when the heat is on. All have the propensity to pluck the duck. No Duncan, no 2e , no Stewart ... its starting to push the edge if we play of chess footy.

What it probably means is it make it even more important to win it in the middle.

This, times infinity. And, added to that, we can't afford to concede stacks of slingshot entries to our D50 on turnover. If we tidy up those two facets of our game, we're far less likely to get burned incessantly due to the absence of our best rebounding defender.

Stewart is cooked for season is my best guess.

I think we should play Clark at HBF, where he should be. Give it a go and see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back