Preview Rd 22 - Geelong V Saints - Sat Aug 14 2021- 435 pm @ GMHBA

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that Geelong will be out of lockdown it makes obvious sense to bite the bullet on the Geelong Hub including all remaining games, finals and Grand Final to be played at Kardinia Park.

#GeelongHubMentum

Happy to host some games down here in Ocean Grove. We have lights at our ground now!

Simply a must win this weekend, if we don't win we risk ending up in Adelaide for week one of the finals and for me Port's that team that's done nothing against decent teams all year but if they get momentum could swoop in and steel it.

Now that Geelong will be out of lockdown it makes obvious sense to bite the bullet on the Geelong Hub including all remaining games, finals and Grand Final to be played at Kardinia Park.

#GeelongHubMentum
hello Ryan... ;)

Simply a must win this weekend, if we don't win we risk ending up in Adelaide for week one of the finals and for me Port's that team that's done nothing against decent teams all year but if they get momentum could swoop in and steel it.
Agree. Finals round this week. GWS/Tigers, Suns /Bombers, Cats/ Saints, Hawks/Dogs, all great games with an impact on the 8

I haven't seen much of the saints this year but last time we played them they brought pretty incredible tackling pressure for most of the game and only failed to get close to us because of poor conversion. Even the average teams seem capable of that on their day and I'd be predicting something similar from them this time especially as it paid off for gws last week. Good opportunity to get back to the way we want to play against the best. I'm sick of wondering about training loads and player fitness management and whatever. These matches are the one's we need to be using to just practice practice practice our A game, whoever's on the park, so that when we get to finals, and we have to hold our nerve against the best, we have that system embedded in us.

How do you follow the form - or trust any form from any side this year

Stk beat the white hot Swans - who were the form team of the comp easily - previous week they lost to Carlton who really franked that form by losing to the Suns

When Stk played well against us - the following week Footscray beat them by 20 goals - they were pathetic- that says to me they try when they feel like it

I know it is not going to happen - but i wouldnt mind Sav at FF and Cameron at CHF - and Hawkins can have a week off . Hawkins champion player and all the rest of it - but it pissses me off how he plays from behind - slow - and if there is a quick hurried deep kick out of the centre - he is allways 3-5 metres behind his opponent - makes it impossible to mark a random quick kick like that

When Geel were down the drain against Ess - it was Cameron who kicked all those goals to get Geel back in the game

This week is probably not the week - but id like to see how the 2 big mobile key forwards would go in a game - as the 2 key forward targets - and i cant emphasise the word Mobile enough

How do you follow the form - or trust any form from any side this year

Stk beat the white hot Swans - who were the form team of the comp easily - previous week they lost to Carlton who really franked that form by losing to the Suns

When Stk played well against us - the following week Footscray beat them by 20 goals - they were pathetic- that says to me they try when they feel like it

I know it is not going to happen - but i wouldnt mind Sav at FF and Cameron at CHF - and Hawkins can have a week off . Hawkins champion player and all the rest of it - but it pissses me off how he plays from behind - slow - and if there is a quick hurried deep kick out of the centre - he is allways 3-5 metres behind his opponent - makes it impossible to mark a random quick kick like that

When Geel were down the drain against Ess - it was Cameron who kicked all those goals to get Geel back in the game

This week is probably not the week - but id like to see how the 2 big mobile key forwards would go in a game - as the 2 key forward targets - and i cant emphasise the word Mobile enough
Hawkins certainly looked like he needed a week off. Why not this week..
Each week there is a new flag favourite, we are so fickle and reactive, but that's how open it is.
The team, that has played best against the better teams in consecutive weeks, probably should be favourites, and that seems to be Melbourne, but I can still see it working out well for both Port and Brisbane.
We are all guessing.
Saints could really trouble us this week though- we apparently have some big names returning, but are we going to be cohesive with 5 or so changes? Will Cameron see out a game?
Watching them win against Swans, you'd swear they were the inform top 8 team.

Watching them win against Swans, you'd swear they were the inform top 8 team.

I think the no crowds must have an affect - Swans have been going fantastic - but when they played Premiership/Outstanding football demolishing W/Coast at KP - there was 10000 supporters their cheering them on - plenty of red/white scarves - the old Sth Melb supporters cheering them on

I know they are professional and well paid - but with no crowd - especially if you got behind - you could easily say to hell with this ( i could ) youd be as flat as a half opened can of coke on a Sunday morning .

If we win this game well we can then perhaps orchestrate in rd23 our opponent Dogs or Demons for the first rd of the finals,All hands on deck and full bore for this game.
It will be a huge decision by the AFL when they schedule the 2 key matches in Rd 23 (us v dees and dogs v port). It's likely whoever is scheduled to play later in the weekend will have the advantage of knowing what needs to be achieved to set the match-ups for wk 1 finals that they want. This sort of thing is the reason that in most well-run football competitions around the world, games in the final round of the season are played at exactly the same time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawkins certainly looked like he needed a week off. Why not this week..
Because (apart from Henry late) he was the only forward who even looked like doing something, would be my argument. No Miers, Rohan hurt (but also just very prone to going missing), no Cameron, Close and Dal offering nothing offensively... it was a very, very bad week for the front half.

Yes Hawkins is not presenting enough; when we get a good centre clearance he is often behind the ball and his opponent. It's a worry because we need him have an influence in the finals.

Re selection v the Saints I'd like to see Clark not be punished for his error; let Dalhousie take a break.

Surely Hawkins is due for a rest? I was hoping he would be rested last week against GWS. We need him fit and firing come finals.

I reckon if we win this week he rests against Melbourne as top 4 will likely be pretty settled, unless of course we are playing for top spot which we may well be.

I reckon if we win this week he rests against Melbourne as top 4 will likely be pretty settled, unless of course we are playing for top spot which we may well be.
My view is what we've seen from him the past few weeks is actually just him managing his own workload through games. Without some injury holding him back, it's hard to otherwise explain his drop in form. He's just too good not to be comprehensively beating the opponents he's come up against. So I'd be surprised to see him miss games through being managed this late in the season.

If there was a slim hope of allowing some sort of crowd at this weekends game it is probably gone now with the announcement of one Covid case in Geelong. May well mean no crowd next week either.
That individual has been reported as being in home iso/quarantine for the duration of their infectious period - so shouldn't make a difference crowds being allowed or not

Looking at possible scenario's depending on the last two games.
Only potential upset this week are the Saints who are vying for finals.
Should the Cats lose then defeat Melbourne.... and Power win both games
Geelong will play Power in Adelaide in the first final.

Lose both games to Saints and Demons, we play Demons again.
2 wins or Win-Loss, we play either Dogs or Demons depending on other outcomes.
Cats may be unable to control the outcome, even if they play Demons after Dogs v Power.
Considering that history shows it is difficult to beat the same team in consecutive games.
It is even more difficult to beat the same the same team twice in one finals series.
The only way to avoid this re-match scenario is Win - Loss over the next 2 weeks.
Then trust the Bulldogs to beat Power at Marvel Stadium.

The first step is to beat the Saints this week.

Looking at possible scenario's depending on the last two games.
Only potential upset this week are the Saints who are vying for finals.
Should the Cats lose then defeat Melbourne.... and Power win both games
Geelong will play Power in Adelaide in the first final.

Lose both games to Saints and Demons, we play Demons again.
2 wins or Win-Loss, we play either Dogs or Demons depending on other outcomes.
Cats may be unable to control the outcome, even if they play Demons after Dogs v Power.
Considering that history shows it is difficult to beat the same team in consecutive games.
It is even more difficult to beat the same the same team twice in one finals series.
The only way to avoid this re-match scenario is Win - Loss over the next 2 weeks.
Then trust the Bulldogs to beat Power at Marvel Stadium.

The first step is to beat the Saints this week.
Surely the most likely scenario in all of this is that Port will shit the bed against the Bulldogs in the last round, and thus we just take care of what we can control which is how we approach each game

Port have such a poor record against top 8 teams that one should think the Bulldogs will be favorites in the last round

Just win the two games remaining and we surely retain 'home advantage' (whatever that is going to mean) for this year's finals series.

The only real concern for us is falling behind Port. And, even after last week's debacle, we still totally have it in our hands to avoid that scenario.

Just win, Geelong,

Just. Win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back