Preview Rd 22 - Geelong V Saints - Sat Aug 14 2021- 435 pm @ GMHBA

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't believe on the Geelong Cats Podcast, would simply rather have Esava as our ruck over Stanley if Cameron is fit to play... Stanley last 4 or so weeks in the ruck has been good, Esava in my eye isn't definitely not our no 1 ruck, his only a pinch hitter ruck at best

Apart from Stanley's last quarter (10 disposals), he was bloody ordinary last weekend against complete nobodies.
His final quarter was exceptional but where was he when the game was there to be won?

He's the greatest tease I can think of.

Apart from Stanley's last quarter (10 disposals), he was bloody ordinary last weekend against complete nobodies.
His final quarter was exceptional but where was he when the game was there to be won?

If there was a final tomorrow... Id rather Stanley in the ruck then Esava... plus Esava hasn't played ruck in the pass 4 weeks anyway.
Plus again Esava hasn't been consistent enough, besides the Richmond game

If there was a final tomorrow... Id rather Stanley in the ruck then Esava... plus Esava hasn't played ruck in the pass 4 weeks anyway.
Plus again Esava hasn't been consistent enough, besides the Richmond game

I'd seriously dispute that. Has actually been very consistent for mine. He's had less than ten disposals in each of his last seven games. And has managed six in each of his last three outings, including the Richmond game. For all the arguments about 'crashing packs' and bringing others into the game, he generally never leads defenders away from congestion and often crowds situations that could otherwise see our forward group contest more often one on one.

Kicked four on Garthwaite and an undermanned Tigers defence, and has been (at best) serviceable in all those other games. And yet he's supposedly going to come in as a ruck (a role he hasn't succeeeded in all season) and be better than a bloke who's had a totally reasonable six weeks of footy back in the first ruck role.

On this issue, at least, there are clearly none so blind as those who will not see.

Last edited:
Cameron and Smith back will make a huge difference. Not too concerned until we **** it up in week 1 of the finals. Inevitably lose that game then I'll know we're no chance of snatching the flag this year.

Could not care less about a Qualifying Final with pre finals byes. We win and we play once in a month, how do you think our side goes with that?
We are terrible without regular footy. The bye record speaks for itself.

Did you think we were done last year when we lost in the 1st week? I gave us a better chance, and without Dusty going coco bananas we win it. I doubt we even make the GF if we beat port week 1. Lions were flat as a tack, tigers went on to beat Port interstate.

In 2019, the tigers were a much better side but we led at half time by 20 points. We didn’t get run over because we were tired, Dusty again and good coaching from Hardwick did that. Richmond 2018 walloped after the week off. 2017 an exception but crows and Tigers were far far better than anyone else.

2016 we got smashed by the Swans after another week off. If Isaac kicks that goal I reckon we were every chance winning that flag.

Losing 1st week is definitely not the end unless it’s an elimination final.

Esava will play forward this week with Rohan out and Stanley in ruck. They will want to have a look at the setup with the three talls. Esava has kicked 8 goals in the past five games. Not brilliant but not disgraced. A point of difference to Hawkins and Cameron too.

Esava will play forward this week with Rohan out and Stanley in ruck. They will want to have a look at the setup with the three talls. Esava has kicked 8 goals in the past five games. Not brilliant but not disgraced. A point of difference to Hawkins and Cameron too.

Almost certain to play 3 talls V the Bulldogs in the finals I reckon.

Who said rohan is out. Apparently just a knock to the hip, and is listed as a test.

I'd seriously dispute that. Has actually been very consistent for mine. He's had less than ten disposals in each of his last seven games. And has managed six in each of his last three outings, including the Richmond game. For all the arguments about 'crashing packs' and bringing others into the game, he generally never leads defenders away from congestion and often crowds situations that could otherwise see our forward group contest more often one on one.

Kicked four on Garthwaite and an undermanned Tigers defence, and has been (at best) serviceable in all those other games. And yet he's supposedly going to come in as a ruck (a role he hasn't succeeeded in all season) and be better than a bloke who's had a totally reasonable six weeks of footy back in the first ruck role.

On this issue, at least, there are clearly none so blind as those who will not see.
The main thing I was getting at is Esava as our no 1 ruck... Esava isn't a no 1 ruck

He dominated the ruck all night; he and Selwood were our only 4-quarter winners.
Which makes our loss in contested footy even more inexcusable.

But is Ratugolea a better option in the ruck than Stanley, especially in his last 5 games when he's played forward in the absence of Cameron?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doubt saints will park the bus . They’re a cheat the contest out the back type of team. They’ll try to find grass in their F50 with butler & Higgins up front. They’ve used Geary before as a defensive forward so they could employ that tactic on Stewart with some other player. Cats should get some good looks on the rebound especially with Jez back. Boundary line Tommy will be happy with some help up top for a change.
Win this get top 4 . Switch on!

20 games in. 10 with Jez & 10 without.
7 games we haven’t scored more than 70. 5 of those have been without Jez. I would like to see us bang 100. Get the good vibe feeling happening before an assault on the cup.
Medicos sweating it big time about Jezza’s hammies.
Time to get the cup!

But is Ratugolea a better option in the ruck than Stanley, especially in his last 5 games when he's played forward in the absence of Cameron?

Nope. Stanley is our best option unfortunately.
I wonder how Fort would have been tracking had he been given a good 2 months of footy in the 1st's?
I'm betting, about the same as what we are getting from Stanley so yeh, it is what it is.

Nope. Stanley is our best option unfortunately.
I wonder how Fort would have been tracking had he been given a good 2 months of footy in the 1st's?
I'm betting, about the same as what we are getting from Stanley so yeh, it is what it is.
I would have liked to see Fort given a run earlier in the year - surely couldn't have done any worse than what we saw from those in the seniors

I'd play Esava from the square with the smalls at the drop, Hawk at "CHF" and Jezza roaming. Tantalising

Would like to see Hawkins closer to the square. Play him and Sav one out deep with Rohan out this week and let Cameron roam around the 50. Is it me or do we look less threatening going inside 50 with Hawk further up the ground

Sounding more and more likely that no prefinals bye, and GF a week earlier.
Just the year we need that week off.
I actually think no club is better suited to ditching the pre-finals bye than us.

Just wait until all the Tiger sooks start crying some more about Hocking cheating! (It would be worth ditching the pre-final bye alone just to see the Richmond melts.)

I hate us playing after a week off so much I'd much rather us make the top four and lose qualifying just so we have to play the semi. Last year it helped us losing to Port. I don't think we make the GF if we win that game. Our form is so much better when we have to play a lot. The though of a bye, win a game, another bye, then a pre-lim makes me shudder.

Also several of the boys have mentioned whoever handles the COVID changes the best has an advantage over the teams who don't handle the changes well. We are mentally one of the strongest clubs when it comes to this kind of thing. I think any change gives us an advantage.

Thanks Uncle Stevey!

As for Geelong v Saints, God I hope Jezza plays this weekend! I miss his twirly little goal celebration. What a show off; I absolutely love it. Someone said he mentioned on his twitch maybe going through the VFL though? I hope Rohan gets up with his hip but maybe a week off will do him some good anyway. 2E is the one I am really sad about. But Smith and Hendo will be big ins.

I don't know what the crowd situation is like down in Geelong but hopefully you local ladies and lads get to go along and cheer our boys home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back