Preview Rd 23 Geelong V St Kilda Say Aug 17 2024 730 pm @ Deadpool Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely.

If we can win this, we will become just about certainties for the double chance. Hence we will become (somewhat of) a legitimate contender for the flag.

If we lose, we may still finish high but will ultimately have next to no shot at doing anything in September. Saints are entirely ordinary and any loss to them here would completely expose our fake credentials to compete at the pointy end in 2024.

It really is that important. Get it done and we move on with some hope for the upcoming finals series. Drop this game and we're really just playing out time on the season and picking up a little finals experience for the youngsters along the way.

Given I see it as that binary, I'm actually far less stressed than I would normally be going into a game like this one. If we're good enough, we'll win and stay alive. If we lose, we were never going anywhere great this year and yet have somehow still managed to take the team forward with plenty of hope for the future.

Having said all that...

Just win, Geelong!
GWS, Port and Geelong are playing mini finals this week. Simple as that. If any slip, top 2 and maybe even top 4 is in jeopardy and so chances of genuinely contending the flag could go down dramatically. With a weird season like this one you wouldn't even be that shocked if all three find a way to lose.

GWS, Port and Geelong are playing mini finals this week. Simple as that. If any slip, top 2 and maybe even top 4 is in jeopardy and so chances of genuinely contending the flag could go down dramatically. With a weird season like this one you wouldn't even be that shocked if all three find a way to lose.
That's true. But if all three go down, we would be the absolute stand-out candidate for the team that 'found a way to lose'. GWS and Port are playing teams that have either been good for most of the year or are actually finding some form now.

By contrast, we're just playing St Kilda.

That's true. But if all three go down, we would be the absolute stand-out candidate for the team that 'found a way to lose'. GWS and Port are playing teams that have either been good for most of the year or are actually finding some form now.

By contrast, we're just playing St Kilda.
They beat us last year in a must win game for us to make the finals.

Different team now I know, but I’m extremely nervous about this game.

I'm with you, but I think we all knew we were shot at that point. The players did too.

That was after the Collingwood game where it felt like we gave it everything we had for 3 quarters and still came up short, and the Freo disaster at home.

The writing was on the wall, we just hadn't mathematically been knocked out yet, similar to Collingwood this year.

Very different scenario tomorrow. There's everything to play for and a golden opportunity within grasp if we show up, players and coaches will know that.

It's not that I don't have a reasonable expectation that we could drop this game. It's simply that there would be zero excuse to do so, given the quality of the opposition.

They beat us comfortably late last year, I know. But we were barely going then and that just confirmed how we were miles off being decent by that point in the season. That's hardly the case for us again late in 2024. So not banking the 'W' against a definitively mediocre outfit this weekend would be a far worse result than last year's loss to this mob.

You've been talking to me for too long. But totally agree with you

Some of the better questions being posed to Chris Scott in his presser today - recommend a watch if anyone hasn't seen it

Some of the better questions being posed to Chris Scott in his presser today - recommend a watch if anyone hasn't seen it
Right at the end of the presser what did Scotty say in regards too Craig McRae' s comments on something unrelated but out there in afl talk ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Scotty has had a hair cut, which I reckon is a good omen. A few years ago some players had haircuts + we had a terrific win.

Good to hear about Hawkins + SDK. Also happy Scott + coaches are pleased with Bews’ last game.

Right at the end of the presser what did Scotty say in regards too Craig McRae' s comments on something unrelated but out there in afl talk ?
Something like Scott hadn’t heard McRae’s directly + wasn’t going to comment on those comments until they were made by McRae in public.

Are you referring to McRae’s that umpires' adjudication of the insufficient intent rule as "a bit of a circus" during the match?

If so. . .

Strange though? McRae’s comments were last Friday + was cautioned by AFL 🤷🏻‍♀️

“Longmire, who said the MCG reference was an "extraordinary admission" from the coach of the club which enjoys the biggest home ground advantage in the AFL.”
😜

Yeah, And Ross Lyon coached teams have often frustrated us in the past.
They are on their dreary home deck. Expect lots of our guys losing their footing on the awful docklands surface.
Should be able to get the win though.

(Journalist introduces discussion about Craig Macrae's comments about home ground advantage for umpiring last week, then asks CS: Do you have a view on that yourself whether it's here playing at GMHBA or playing away?)

CS: "Look, I try to make it a policy not to comment on things I haven't heard directly.

"I'd like to hear more from Craig about what he actually thinks.

"I have a lot of empathy for things that coaches say fifteen minutes or half an hour after a close loss.

"I don't think, um, that's the time of the week where head coaches are thinking with perfect clarity.

"Once he clarifies his position on that then I'm happy to comment on that bit.

"At the moment, I don't have anything smart to add to it".

(Journalist to CS: He said it was pretty selfish of him to go into that mode post-game)

CS: "He's a self-deprecator, Fly.

"Come on, he doesn't really think that".

For those interested in AFL history.

“The Long and Storied History between Geelong and St Kilda:

Geelong and St Kilda have a long and storied history, dating all the way back to the inaugural VFL season in 1897.
At the time the competition had eight teams, with the two sides squaring off for the first time in round seven of the 1897 season.”
https://www.geelongcats.com.au/news...-storied-history-between-geelong-and-st-kilda

For those interested in AFL history.

“The Long and Storied History between Geelong and St Kilda:

Geelong and St Kilda have a long and storied history, dating all the way back to the inaugural VFL season in 1897.
At the time the competition had eight teams, with the two sides squaring off for the first time in round seven of the 1897 season.”
https://www.geelongcats.com.au/news...-storied-history-between-geelong-and-st-kilda
It actually dates back way before 1897. St Kilda formed in the 1870s and played in the top competition in Victoria, as did Geelong, and that top competition continued after 1897 under a different management name.

Game day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back