Banter RDT CLXXXIV - BigSpeakerbox

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The misso and I are looking at going to Asia mid next year. Any recommendations?

It would be on a bit of a budget. She's not keen on India and we've already been to Singapore separately.

What's her thoughts on surfing, cocaine and prostitutes?

Malaysia? Thoroughly recommend as it's not too expensive, food is fabulous and a few things to do for a first time tourist whether you like shopping, sight-seeing or nature.
I had considered it after seeing Penang on the Amazing Race the other night, looked really nice.

What's her thoughts on surfing, cocaine and prostitutes?
She's okay with me surfing and doing cocaine but re: prostitutes, she has this weird thing about not letting me watch.

She's okay with me surfing and doing cocaine but re: prostitutes, she has this weird thing about not letting me watch.

Hmmm, perhaps Whore Island isn't for you guys.

The misso and I are looking at going to Asia mid next year. Any recommendations?

It would be on a bit of a budget. She's not keen on India and we've already been to Singapore separately.

Thailand / Koh Samui is good if you want a romantic getaway

I’m going to Singapore in a couple of weeks. Any good?
I've been once for a couple of days and dug it. Super clean and safe city/country. Gardens By the Bay is very cool. Food in the hawkers markets is great, Marina Bay Sands is worth a look. I missed out on doing Sentosa Island but am heading back in December so will do it then.

I've been once for a couple of days and dug it. Super clean and safe city/country. Gardens By the Bay is very cool. Food in the hawkers markets is great, Marina Bay Sands is worth a look. I missed out on doing Sentosa Island but am heading back in December so will do it then.
Yeah I’m super keen on some market food. Give me all the noodles

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you really want to find a hidden gem on your travels through Asia, try the smokers lounge at Phuket airport. It's a 3m glass cube with little to no ventilation. You don't even need your own cigarette to get your nicotine fix, or subsequently a bout of emphysema.

It really depends imo on the level of cleanliness and disorder you can tolerate. Of the countries I have been to in the region (excluding Bali because that doesn't count really)

Singapore - sparkling clean and super safe, but lacks the culture and authenticity and quite sterile imo
Malaysia - relatively clean compared to neighbours (except Singapore), relatively safe, can easily get a 'first world' or 'third world' experience depending on what you like, more expensive than Vietnam and Indonesia etc though
Vietnam - dirty, polluted, loud, but definitely 'authentic' Southeast Asia, friendly people too
Philippines, Indonesia - a whole new level of congestion and overcrowding, fearful of my safety and physical health at times

Those apply to just the cities, though - the countryside is another kind of experience altogether.

For a couple I'd recommend Ha Long bay, love the place for a laid back and very scenic holiday.
Steer clear of the big cities anywhere in Asia IMO.
Go to the smaller places for an authentic experience and an all round better time.

If you really want to find a hidden gem on your travels through Asia, try the smokers lounge at Phuket airport. It's a 3m glass cube with little to no ventilation. You don't even need your own cigarette to get your nicotine fix, or subsequently a bout of emphysema.
That's every single airport in Asia and Africa back in the day.

What are you looking for, resorts, hotel, guesthouse?
Out and about or lazing next to the pool/beach?
Primarily out and about but I suspect the missus would like a day or two of the latter. She managed to get 2 weeks off in total so am thinking maybe 2 or 3 places might be doable?

Primarily out and about but I suspect the missus would like a day or two of the latter. She managed to get 2 weeks off in total so am thinking maybe 2 or 3 places might be doable?
If you came over here and for what your after I'd say maybe Khao Lak, lots of resorts and guests houses to choose from for every price range, beautiful beaches and quiet a few different things to do if you feel like looking around.
Land at Phuket airport then an hour taxi (the resorts generally will do a pickup) off the island, it's in Phang-Na province.
We're still in the rainy season but wouldn't let that put you off, only rains for a small amount of time each day and also means the waterfalls around Khao Lak will be flowing big time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back