Opinion Recruiting and List Management Team: Hamish Ogilvie, Justin Reid & Co

Should Hamish Ogilvie and Justin Reid be sacked?

• Both should be sacked

• Only Hamish Ogilvie should be sacked

• Only Justin Reid should be sacked

• Neither should be sacked

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

I didn't know anything about any of them until they were drafted. I had read some pre-draft stuff but really have not seen junior footy live for about 15 years.

From what I have seen since in the AFL/SANFL:
- Doedee looks a beauty to me, class and courage
- Gallucci has evasion and pace and skill, along with a fair amount of grunt
- Poholke seems to be hard-nut, like what he brings
- Wigg is the one I'm still trying to get my head around. His hands look elite - so clean. His intent is first class, no fear there. His kicking is below expectations ... but that might be because everyone was raving about his left foot as a weapon.

i think he is doing a great job, and i likened doedee to stenglein, but burton had something special to him imo.

I went over his record in the last 4 years in another thread.
He has been very good but he has reached for a couple of players. Mainly Doedee.
Personally i wouldve chosen spp over galluci, burton over doedee and daniel over wigg.
Hes gone at around 60/70% success rate.
Getting Lever and Milera in successive years has given us 2 very good players who will undoubtedly play 200 + games.
Our rookie picks have been unbelievably good.
The question marks hang over Wigg, Doedee and Gallucci. If Wigg was playing for anybody else he wouldve played afl by now. Same with Doedee.
Our selections on thursdays are as much to blame as hamishs speculative picks.
Considering what hes had to work with i think hes done considerably well.
Those picks are all obvious in hindsight, especially the Daniel/with one but I suggest we can't compare the other two until atleast 2 years down the track. If doedee and galluci were playing for Brisbane and getting regular time we'd probabaly be comparing our draftees to them.

Short of the Doedee thing - and the jury is still out on that, so not fair to slam him for it just yet - I think he's done pretty well overall. Especially considering what he's had to work with in terms of picks. It's not like we've been rolling into the draft with a couple in the top 10 every year.

Look at some of the players we've got with late / rookie picks - he has done pretty well with what he's had. Nobody gets them all right, but I reckon his record is as good as anybody else's with the picks he's had.

Has been discussed elsewhere but it's not as simple as picking good players in the draft. So many ducks need to align

The player needs to stay fit
The team can't be doing well (otherwise no changes)
Needs to be a vacancy in their position
At the time of a vacancy the player must be the one fit and in form

Our cautious approach to team selection doesn't make our drafting any better or worse. It makes it look worse though.

I can't believe anyone is questioning Ogilvie

Not everyone gets it right all the time, but Hamish usually gets it right most of the time. He's one of the best recruiters in the AFL and his track record speaks for itself.

#deletethread

Last edited:
Has been discussed elsewhere but it's not as simple as picking good players in the draft. So many ducks need to align

The player needs to stay fit
The team can't be doing well (otherwise no changes)
Needs to be a vacancy in their position
At the time of a vacancy the player must be the one fit and in form

Our cautious approach to team selection doesn't make our drafting any better or worse. It makes it look worse though.

Indeed, last year was a bit of a perfect storm with the team doing relatively well whilst maintaining a near zero injury list.

If it had been a debacle of a season wrought by injuries to key players it's entirely conceivable blokes like Beech, Greenwood, Dear, O'Brien, Wigg and Doedee would be a dozen games into their careers and would be clear best 22 players or it would be reasonably clear that they wouldn't make it.

Hayward and Berry will be better players than SPP once they develop. Would have been very happy if we'd picked either instead of Gooch.

Doedee should have played a dozen games by now but has suffered due to our selection policy. You could mount an argument for us not using a first round pick on a player of his type though. Tucker would have been handy.

He has got two wrong IMO.

Doedee over Burton and Gallucci over SPP.

It is early on both, even moreso with Gallucci. But SPP was exactly what our midfield needs and we passed. Who knows what his future is (is he the next Daniel Rich) but in terms if this season he was always touted as being AFL ready. We needed that player now.

In Burton we already have a few medium height guys who play back or forward ie Lever, McGovern, Otten, Lynch, Keath, Kelly etc.

I can see why we went Doedee when you see how small our depth chart is in smaller defenders. But Burton was the better player then and is the better player now. Is also a local lad so no go home factor.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Im looking at Doedee like Atkins. Took about 4/5 years to get it together. Mind you Atkins was pick 81.
Galuci may end out way better than SPP but we really need the hard man now, not a racehorse in 3 years time.

I feel for Doedee, I hope he is mentally strong, for when he does debut he will most likely be compared with Burton mercilessly like Franklin/Tambling all over again.

SPP - even Port passed on him with their 1st pick, they went with Marshall - I agree he is very good, but is there any upside?

I don't buy into the whole SPP thing either.

He's a mature bodied mid, but is not overly quick or nimble as a player.

His highlights video from when he was drafted pretty much mirrors what we have seen of him this year, I suspect that he's got limited scope for development and will eventually be shown in the long term to be a bit of a one trick pony.

I feel for Doedee, I hope he is mentally strong, for when he does debut he will most likely be compared with Burton mercilessly like Franklin/Tambling all over again.

SPP - even Port passed on him with their 1st pick, they went with Marshall - I agree he is very good, but is there any upside?

I would be hoping more of a Pav v Mcgregor

Only for the fact Mcgregor was no champion but held his own at AFL

Doedee isnt an absolute hack, but if he takes as long as CEY to develop or Atkins it just shows he is probably worth about a third rounder not a first rounder

Posters continually call on the need for first rounders to win a premiership we used ours on a third rounder thsi is the major issue

I would be hoping more of a Pav v Mcgregor

Only for the fact Mcgregor was no champion but held his own at AFL

Doedee isnt an absolute hack, but if he takes as long as CEY to develop or Atkins it just shows he is probably worth about a third rounder not a first rounder

Posters continually call on the need for first rounders to win a premiership we used ours on a third rounder thsi is the major issue

agree, but I'm thinking more about the mental application, those comparisons eventually killed off Tambling's career

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My thoughts on SPP is that he is what we need now.

He may have no upside or could end up a star. Gallucci could be the better player in four years time. Who knows?

But the way he plays and the attitude he brings is exactly what we needed in our midfield right now.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

We're consistently around the mark with a squad that has no top 10 picks. I'm happy to bag elements of the club that are underperforming, but I don't think our recruitment staff are part of that group. You can argue individual picks, but as a body of work, Hamish and co have done particularly well in my opinion.

He can't select them to play as well as predict a couple of interrupted preseasons. I'm not fussed with the Doedee pick yet, he was obviously their next best player, we're playing an honest trier in Kelly in the role he should be developing in and the next best is Cheney, an honest trier himself, with a bit more polish. He should be playing, his first year of SANFL was excellent and he really should have replaced an injured Brown late last year. Another interrupted preseason and he's only just ready to start putting his hand up for selection.

Milera is a speedy outside type and I'm very happy with him. Gallucci is going to be a player, really happy with what I've seen of him. Should have at least a couple more games under the belt and a pretty good upside.

It's miles too early to judge where these picks are at. Even comparing them to the ready to go players seems a bit off. I'd guess he gets a bit of a brief to work with, perhaps ready made wasn't the order of the day.

LOL

I might be one of the few who knew the name without having to Google it.

Anyway for those wanting to know, he was a massive one hit wonder from the late 70s

Thats what SPP will be. A one season wonder. At least someone gets my riddles in my posts

If he was playing like he did Thursday night and in the amateur league he would look like he was walking around witches hats

You can't miss his talent in the big league imagine how good he would have been in the amateurs

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Your hardly the 'messiah'when it comes to rating draft talent, you would have had us taking Jonty Scharenberg and Jack Graham in last year's draft, Scharenberg who went undrafted in both the National Draft and Rookie Draft and Jack Graham who is as yet to get anywhere near a debut.

So not only Hamish got it wrong but the recruiters from the other 17 clubs got it wrong with regard to Scharenberg??

Hamish>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Marty36

Your hardly the 'messiah'when it comes to rating draft talent, you would have had us taking Jonty Scharenberg and Jack Graham in last year's draft, Scharenberg who went undrafted in both the National Draft and Rookie Draft and Jack Graham who is as yet to get anywhere near a debut.

So not only Hamish got it wrong but the recruiters from the other 17 clubs got it wrong with regard to Scharenberg??

Hamish>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Marty36

I would bloody hope so he does it for a living 52 weeks a year and gets paid to do so

You notice anything similar about my PHANTOM draft Sharenberg and Burton????????????

By the way Sharenberg is performing better for the bays than Gooch, Sig, Jarmen and Pohk are for teh crows reserves

If you look at it that way

Would everyone want Freo's recruiting manager for getting sandilands as a rookie or west coast grabbing Brownlow Medalist Priddis as a rookie,Matthew Boyd Bulldogs rookie every team has a scattering of late picks that have turned out to be great players no different to ourselves

The greatest pick of all time 79 something for James Hird that would be a rookie pick now, arguably the best ever Essendon player

Dane Swan pick 58 another great of the club

These two in particular because they were the best of the best

The list goes on

Have a look through teams list and you will be surprised how you would rate a lot of late picks on every teams list

EFA

And probably only got picked by Essendon at all because his father Allan played a few games for the Dons and was a committee-man at the time James was drafted.

Back