Autopsy Review: 2024 QF v. Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Chris Scott is probably the best tactical coach in the AFL and Hinkley is probably right at the bottom.

Scott would generally feel he is always a chance against Hinkley and Port Adelaide because we have high top end talent which can be quelled with a gameplan but our low end talent is very, very low and that's where he going to exploit the living heck out of us and he did.

I would take a 100 point loss next week if it would guarantee that the club FINALLY go that fraud out of our club.. But it won't - This is self inflicted... all of it. They should collectively hang their heads in shame.. but they won't. It's a protection racket and we're the suckers who are supposed to turn up and shut up We've got another 12 months of this stench.
No we don’t. He is gone.

i shudder to think how badly we are going to get beaten next week if Butters is ruled out. We've gone from daring to dream to two absolute smashings at home in an embarrassing straight sets exit.

Anyone going to bother turning up for next friday's trainwreck?

i shudder to think how badly we are going to get beaten next week if Butters is ruled out. We've gone from daring to dream to two absolute smashings at home in an embarrassing straight sets exit.

Be lucky if 30k show up & it's completely of the club's own making so they can suck eggs.

I don't normally like playing the I told you so game as hindsight is always in 20/20 but the two main things I said in the lead up

1. Do not play DBJ back as it robs Peter and then steals from Paul
2. Rozee being a liability in the middle and should be moved

Both came to fruition in terms of serious negative impact on the team.

Why could I - a failed D7R coach - see this without in depth intimate knowledge of the team yet our cast of experts could not

Ok - everyone makes mistakes and not everything is going to work, but that's really simple stuff

When you then factor in

1. Starting our most competitive mid on the pine in JHF for long stretches at the start of the first and then mysteriously repeating the error in the second
2. Putting our deep interception player in Allir on their ranging forward in Cameron, when Bergman has done that role brilliantly previously and is clearly better suited
3. Not putting any attention into Holmes...after quarter time...half time.....
4. Having a first year player on their most dangerous small forward when ground balls are a well documented weakness

**** me it's like the coaching was actively trying to make it as hard as possible to be successful

Then when you add in the more macro stuff about developing a winning culture, working through fear of failure, prep work, coaching instinct over process ...

And then add in a fundamentally flawed game plan and ball movement strategy with favouring long balls over hit ups, focus on forward press and locking it in, defending with the ball

It is clear cut systemic coaching failure on a scale that I can't really recall being repeated in professional sports

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No reason to be surprised. We have a talented but frontrunning midfield, a B grade forward line and a B grade defense. Unless the midfield dominates we'll never get it done against serious opposition. A lack of guts and pride in the jumper permeates the entire group. The sad part is never knowing what this team might be like under a quality coaching panel. Maybe not a premiership team but would be far, far better than this.

Then Geelong put Blicavs on Dixon and another tall agile defender on Ratugolea. They knew full well Dixon and Ratugolea weren't marking threats. They were there to 'compete' and bring the ball to ground. Geelong knew this and exploited it. Basically made the game a 18 v 16 contest when we kicked it long to those two cause they can't compete at ground level.
Scott basically said in his pre-game interview that Dixon and Ratugolea were bollards and they would expose them with their elite athleticism.

By contrast, Hinkley's pre-game interview was mainly him yukking it up about Betts' pink jacket.

I'm really torn. Last night was the first time I've ever left a final early. I've also never missed a final I could attend, but this week might just be time.

I left just thinking what is the point. It's the same story we've seen for years, we aren't actually a threat in any way, shape, or form, it's literally just a waste of time and money, but even worse it is emotionally draining and embarrassing. I don't know how you bring yourself to continue to subject yourself to that, with a club that refuses to make any change. The club doesn't deserve us attending, despite our loyalty and passion for the club, at some point it has to come down to giving them what they deserve until they start taking risks and being a brave club again.

Interesting take from Dane Swan

That was the feeling I got straight after half time, sort of a resignation by Ken that strategically this game was gone so they pulled the plug.

Either that or there were some big bets going on behind the scenes. Game felt like it was thrown.

Last edited:
I'm really torn. Last night was the first time I've ever left a final early. I've also never missed a final I could attend, but this week might just be time.

I left just thinking what is the point. It's the same story we've seen for years, we aren't actually a threat in any way, shape, or form, it's literally just a waste of time and money, but even worse it is emotionally draining and embarrassing. I don't know how you bring yourself to continue to subject yourself to that, with a club that refuses to make any change. The club doesn't deserve us attending, despite our loyalty and passion for the club, at some point it has to come down to giving them what they deserve until they start taking risks and being a brave club again.

Before last night, I'd never left any game early - final or otherwise.

I called it at 3QT.

The money I'd spent on the ticket was gone. There was no sense in wasting another 30 minutes of my time watching the shit we were definitely going to continue dishing up.

I'm not going next week. I'll watch on Kayo until we're six goals down and then turn it off. If I'm lucky, we'll hit that milestone by quarter time.

The dilemma now is what to do with my barcode. There might be friends or family who want to go, but they don't deserve to sit through another disaster, and the club absolutely deserves the ignominy of playing at a half-empty Adelaide Oval. So much the better if the opposition's supporters outnumber our own.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Review: 2024 QF v. Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Back