News Review into racism at Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Speaking as someone not old enough to have lived through that time I would be incensed if we sacrificed success in order to exclude people. I noted there was a Q on our recruitment of indigenous players how was that one answered?
The question only related to our current list. It was observed by a journo that Collingwood has no indigenous players on our list. The response was that we bid on four indigenous players in the recent draft and that our list includes a number of players with diverse backgrounds.

Listening to the presser, I cannot see that 'affirmative action' - bringing indigenous players into the club because we need to appear to be promoting them - is the response I would want the club to take to rectify its lack of coloured players. They should be drafted on merit and need, not because we feel we need to boost their numbers on the playing list.

Our list is culturally diverse. I'm not sure why people are so intent on focusing on the indigenous element. H was one of the main drivers for the instigation of the report and he's not indigenous.

I have taken the time to read the full report myself and not form an opinion based on the headlines or the filter of any particular journalist/media outlet. It is a structural review of systems and processes, previously and currently, in place. There are aspects that are uncomfortable reading however in order to change and improve, an exercise of this nature needs to be done. Understand the situation, identify what needs to change, how to change it and implement meaningful and sustainable actions to make the change. In the usual and expected circus that has now ensued, the fact that this review has looked at issues/incidents that are somewhat historical and not more recent in nature has been a little lost. As have the positive changes to the culture and procedures that have been made since 2018 and are ongoing, which were noted in the report.

Are we there yet? No, but this is a great start and a springboard to move forward. This sort of review should not be limited to Collingwood and each and every club should have the balls to do the same.

I am a proud Collingwood supporter and will not cower in shame for past wrongs or retreat in the face of a Collingwood pile-on. It takes real commitment and strength to take a good hard look at yourself, admit to your shortcomings and make changes for the better. Collingwood FC is on that pathway and that is nothing to be ashamed of.

GO PIES!!

Our list is culturally diverse. I'm not sure why people are so intent on focusing on the indigenous element. H was one of the main drivers for the instigation of the report and he's not indigenous.
Sizer was answering a journalist question about affirmative action for Indigenous people.

"Expert bias" is a very real psychologically recognized issue that has spawned a lot of research, particularly in legal circles.

In my opinion it's highly likely that there was only one way these "experts" were ever going to report this.

A proper approach would have been to have equal unbiased representatives, and also a secret research report (see below):

View attachment 1049202
View attachment 1049198
View attachment 1049201

Snake, your post history on the Roo's board shows you objecting to the report's findings before you even knew who wrote it.

You've rejected the findings because they obviously conflict with your political opinions and are now retroactively finding reasons why the report is wrong.

The coach might have input, but he's not in football admin. He's there to coach, not to design appropriate feedback and response systems for internal issues at the club.

Oh, and it's not Maine, it's Mayne.

Yes im posting on my phone there's auto correct.

That's such an old fashioned opinion to think a senior coach is only there to coach and nothing else. These days the role goes way deeper than that.

Are there any PR geniuses on this board who might be able to deconstruct what just happened and explain any possible rationale for Eddie taking the route that he did with the answers?

Surely if you didn't have any key announceables there was no point even holding that press conference?

Would have been nice to hear the questions but I thought the responses from the panelists were quite good, quite balanced. Admitted the sins of the past, that our systems weren't up to it. Didn't try to hide anything. Clarified certain aspects like the purpose of the review.

Had to have a press conference after the report was leaked. I'm sure there'll be some announcements over coming weeks. The club has accepted all recommendations so they'll need to explain how they'll implement their responses.

Exactly. Equally, why should Ed resign just because the report he commissioned hasn't been released as per the needs of a few BF posters. He's also driven much of those more recent changes.

I think its more symbolic more than anything. It would symbolise the beginning of the shift in our culture. I'm not one for knee jerk reactions but this just seems obvious to me that Ed should step away now. Allow a fresh set of eyes to begin the healing and contruct away forward.

I didn't see today's presser, but judging by some of the comments on how Ed handled the situation, the time is right for him to go.

Fine, except that Eddie has already resigned because of the content of the report. He is however trying to control the narrative and improve the perception of his legacy before he actually finishes up. I don't think he has earned that right. Much of the criticism of the club can be directly sheeted to him. It is a bit of a stretch that he now gets to be the spokesperson for Collingwood now becoming a more inclusive organisation.

Well Ed has resigned and there might be a correlation between that and this report. Everything else you've suggested is pure speculation and guess work.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What has been done exactly?

Ask Ed or members of the panel working on it. That they've been working on it is a much more likely occurrence than it is still sitting in an envelop awaiting the post person to return from their Christmas leave to open it.

Ask Ed or members of the panel working on it. That they've been working on it is a much more likely occurrence than it is still sitting in an envelop awaiting the post person to return from their Christmas leave to open it.

They’ve had years to work on it, if it’s taken this report to start working on it then they ain’t the people fit to be working on it.

Simple as that.

I may have missed it, but has any other past Collingwood First Nation player made any comment previously; like Leon Davis?

They had an opportunity to tell us today. I didn't hear most of the presser. Did they not explain what they are doing?

Would have been nice to hear the questions but I thought the responses from the panelists were quite good, quite balanced. Admitted the sins of the past, that our systems weren't up to it. Didn't try to hide anything. Clarified certain aspects like the purpose of the review.

Had to have a press conference after the report was leaked. I'm sure there'll be some announcements over coming weeks. The club has accepted all recommendations so they'll need to explain how they'll implement their responses.
Do you agree with Ed that this is a “proud day?”

This has been a forgettable few months as a Collingwood supporter. That win against West Coast seems so long ago. All that elation replaced with disappointment, frustration and shame. I guess the silver lining in this is that it appears the club has made strides to put the house in order and make the necessary changes prior to this investigation. But I think we would benefit from quick and decisive action, leaning into the inevitability of change. There's no need for Maguire to see this year out. Its time to move on.

Harry is a flog, I hope he’s never welcomed backed to the club again. If this details our season then everyone can get farmed!

What a disgrace, I’ve been part of these reviews...’the victim’ gets to make outlandish statements, the accused has to provide evidence to defend the claims. Obviously in these situations it’s hard to provide evidence so we were always going to be tarnished.

I’ve no doubt that by today’s standard inappropriate things were said, but that was the norm back then. Doesn’t mean people are racist it means they are politically incorrect...play on and **** off Harry you piece of sht
FMD, perhaps the worst post I've ever seen here. Hope Ed takes the muppets like you when he quits

Remove this Banner Ad

News Review into racism at Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Back