Richmond to take Cousins

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The difference between the Tigers and Blues is one club openly tests the rules, the other cheats hoping they won't get caught.
Since you're such an honest club, perhaps Richmond should re-draft Justin Charles and Ben Holland to team up with Cousins and maintain your integrity as a football club.
Laughing at the Blues fans accusing Richmond of bending the rules....

:rolleyes:
So we can't form an opinion and express it because of what our administrations have done in the past? :confused: :eek:

This is suss from Richmond.

Since you're such an honest club, perhaps Richmond should re-draft Justin Charles and Ben Holland to team up with Cousins and maintain your integrity as a football club.

This is suss from Richmond.
Maybe Carlton could recall Laurence Angwin and Karl Norman?

Do you really have that short a memory?!?

Never thought his condition could've gotten worse?

The club isn't going to be asking this just to pick up Cousins, it will be in the best interest of Polak, first and foremost.
Exactly, some thick people just don't get it.

Shane Warne is a confirmed drug cheat, has that dampened his reputation at all?
Yes.

Never thought his condition could've gotten worse?

The club isn't going to be asking this just to pick up Cousins, it will be in the best interest of Polak, first and foremost.

It makes no difference to his future whether he is placed on the long term injury list or the mature age rookie list.

Oh, so he is not considered a legend of sporting worldwide? And nobody wants to touch him with a 10 foot pole?

Give it a rest, everyone has forgotten that he even did that, and now everybody is clamouring to get him to play cricket again.
It makes no difference to his future whether he is placed on the long term injury list or the mature age rookie list.
Yes it does, because it allows him to not have to think about playing short term(Therefore placing less stress on his body and mind).

And you are extremely callous to not think either Polak or Rama should've been considered for a rookie list spot.

It's only a game FFS, what damage will it cause by putting him on the rookie list and alleviating the unintentional pressure that could be placed on him by him taking up a senior list spot?

I disagreed with Rama's special consideration and I disagree with Polak's, but one difference is the level of Polak's contributory negligence.

Rama's cancer was unavoidable. Polak walked in front of a tram.
The injury he suffered was severe, but how ever harsh it may sound it was essentially of his own making.

You need to do some research on ABI ( acquired brain injury ).

Polak may never have the ability to work again or lead a normal life.

Think of peter Motley.

Ramanauskas' cancer is in remission but he can still function normally.

He may or may not make a full recovery. When it is determined that he cannot play again, then the situation should be revisited at that time.Right. Richmond should have done this prior to the National Draft because it was unlikely that he was ever going to play in 2009, and that is why it won't be permitted. Nor should it be.No, I think that placing him on the long-term injury list for this season only is enough. If the diagnosis at that time is still unclear then special circumstances could be given at the end of next season.Who said I am from the US? :confused:People must only work in nursing homes to understand head injuries? Is that what you're trying to say? If so, then this topic may be out of your league.

Polak is out of contract at the end of 2009.

The only question i have regarding putting Polak on the rookie list is why so long for this request...unless there has been new information or medical advice in the past couple of days regarding the health of Graham it should be dismissed by the afl. But good on the tigers for trying!

In all probability he will unfortunately never play again however posters who are comparing Polaks position with Egans injuries have really got to be joking. One was in a coma after being hit by a tram, one tried to come back too early from a football related injury and aggravated it. Polak shouldn't be compared to Rama either..it is a totally different matter and should be treated as such.

With Cousins id just love to see him play again - it doesn't matter with who - he is/was a great player!

Oh, so he is not considered a legend of sporting worldwide? And nobody wants to touch him with a 10 foot pole?

Give it a rest, everyone has forgotten that he even did that, and now everybody is clamouring to get him to play cricket again.

Your question was has Warne's drug suspension affected his reputation?
It will always be mentioned in any summation of his career.

Clearly people haven't forgotten it, because you yourself raised it.

Yes it does, because it allows him to not have to think about playing short term(Therefore placing less stress on his body and mind).

And you are extremely callous to not think either Polak or Rama should've been considered for a rookie list spot.

The long term injury list is there specifically for AFL listed players who have an injury,with an expected duration of over 8 weeks.
Polak clearly qualifies and whether he is on the LTI or rookie list will make absolutely no difference to his recovery.

:D

And here's the Richmond supporters calling for compassion!

Egan will probably never play again. What has Polak lost that Egan hasn't?
Dont guess, give us facts!

As far as I'm concerned, the long term injury list covers situations like this. If thats not good enough for richmond, they're getting greedy.

THe LTI injury list is abused year after year.

Players who are out of form/favor are Placed on the LTI list so that a more in form player can be upgraded to the Primary List.

You need to do some research on ABI ( acquired brain injury ).

Polak may never have the ability to work again or lead a normal life.

Think of peter Motley.

Ramanauskas' cancer is in remission but he can still function normally.

I am not any way downplaying Polak's injury.
It is undoubtedly severe and may well affect him in everyday life for the rest of his life.
However the severity of his injury does not qualify him for inclusion on the rookie list.
I opposed Rama's inclusion, just as I oppose Polak's.
The LTI is there to cover injuries, there is nothing in the rules to say exceptions should be made, because of the nature of the injury/illness.

Richmond benefits if Polak goes onto the rookie list, it makes no difference to him or his contractual situation if he were on the LTI or the rookie list.

The long term injury list is there specifically for AFL listed players who have an injury,with an expected duration of over 8 weeks.

Polak clearly qualifies and whether he is on the LTI or rookie list will make absolutely no difference to his recovery.
Read what I said, "it allows him to not have to think about playing short term(Therefore placing less stress on his body and mind)."

Polak's mind is most likely not in the perfect state right now and may never be, by having him on the senior list, whether it is LTI or not, it places unintentional pressure on him to make a full recovery ASAP, thus Polak might think it is his duty to work harder, train harder, placing extra pressure on his body and mind.

Placing him on the rookie list allows him to stay on the list for a year, without taking up a senior spot(Allowing another player, either kid or Cousins to take that spot and get a chance), and will allow Richmond to reasses him at the end of 2009, and if he managed to be able to play then all it would take is the one free AFL sanctioned rookie elevation that each club will get in 2009.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok firstly, I dont see how a football injury is any less important than a non football injury. Injury is injury.

Secondly, all clubs want 40 fit players. Geelong included. But they dont always get what they want, and thats why there are lists of 40 in the first place.

To answer your question, no I did not agree with the Ramanaskus rookie listing. But I can see two major arguments that made Essendon's case a slightly stronger one than Richmonds - (1) Rama's illness was not self inflicted, and (2) Essendon gave a bit more than 3 days notice and did not apply after lists were closed.

Polak has an ABI injury and will probably never play football again.

Secondly there is a chance that his employment prospects will be severely curtailed.

You are obsessed with the term self inflicted ?

You could walk across the road following a green signal and be hit by a car running a red light.

We could be harsh ( like you ) and argue that you had a duty of care to check the intersection even though you had a green signal.

And if Polak's ijury was self inflicted why didn't the police charge Polak ?

Stop your fixation with SELF INFLICTION.

Read what I said, "it allows him to not have to think about playing short term(Therefore placing less stress on his body and mind)."

That contradicts what the club said only a short time ago.
Also, the LTI as opposed to the Mature age rookie list would both have the desired effect for the afflicted Polak but would result in 2 very different scenario's for the RFC.
This is where the debate is at, not the rehabilitation concerns of Polak.

With what?

According to Timmy from Thomastown, Polak's injury was self inflicted.

Could he be charged with being stupid ? or damaging a tram ? or not being careful when crossing tram tarcks ?

That contradicts what the club said only a short time ago.
And I've already stated that we don't know if his condition has gotten worse, and already said that this move wouldn't be considered in the hope of getting Cousins, it would be FIRST and FOREMOST in the best interests of Graham Polak, who knows, maybe he asked the club to do it?
Also, the LTI as opposed to the Mature age rookie list would both have the desired effect for the afflicted Polak but would result in 2 very different scenario's for the RFC.
You cannot say that as you simply do not know what Polak's mental state is.
This is where the debate is at, not the rehabilitation concerns of Polak.
But the rehabilitation concerns of Polak are what could have brought Richmond to this consideration, was Essendon's reasons for putting Rama on the Rookie list so they could cheat the system and get an extra player on their senior list? No, it was in the best interests of Rama and the club(And it allowed him to fully recover without the pressure of having to worry about taking up a senior spot on the clubs list), and that is the exact same reasoning for Richmond and Polak doing this.

According to Timmy from Thomastown, Polak's injury was self inflicted.

Could he be charged with being stupid ? or damaging a tram ? or not being careful when crossing tram tarcks ?

That's not what you were getting at?

Polak did have a part to play in his injury AS OPPOSED to Rama who clearly did not.
That's what most posters who are going down that path seem to be suggesting, even TFT.
All irrelevant in any case.

was Essendon's reasons for putting Rama on the Rookie list so they could cheat the system and get an extra player on their senior list? No, it was in the best interests of Rama and the club(And it allowed him to fully recover without the pressure of having to worry about taking up a senior spot on the clubs list), and that is the exact same reasoning for Richmond and Polak doing this.

The spot on the senior list vacated by Rama, was filled by Mal Michael who was drafted by Essendon in the PSD.

The spot on the senior list vacated by Rama, was filled by Mal Michael who was drafted by Essendon in the PSD.
Yes, but it was not done to accommodate Michael, it was done IN THE BEST INTERESTS OF ADAM RAMANAUSKAS!

And I've already stated that we don't know if his condition has gotten worse, and already said that this move wouldn't be considered in the hope of getting Cousins, it would be FIRST and FOREMOST in the best interests of Graham Polak, who knows, maybe he asked the club to do it?
I'm not interested in discussing whether or not Richmond get Cousins or not. At the moment that seems to be nothing more than media speculation. What does interest me is the timing of the application especially given TW's comments recently about maintaining Polak on the main list. Will wait and see if new medical complications shed new light on the whole issue but with what's at hand this doesn't smell right to me.
You cannot say that as you simply do not know what Polak's mental state is.
And neither do you.
I cannot imagine how it would make the slightest bit of difference to Polak what list he is put on seeing as the club will still be able to replace him with either a draftee or a rookie.
But the rehabilitation concerns of Polak are what could have brought Richmond to this consideration, was Essendon's reasons for putting Rama on the Rookie list so they could cheat the system and get an extra player on their senior list? No, it was in the best interests of Rama and the club(And it allowed him to fully recover without the pressure of having to worry about taking up a senior spot on the clubs list), and that is the exact same reasoning for Richmond and Polak doing this.
The vote to allow Rama to go onto the Mature Age Rookie list was made before the other clubs knew that they planned on replacing him with the newly retired Mal Michael. It would be interesting to see what the vote would've been had the other clubs known this.
This is a list management decision as opposed to a fundemental concern for Polak's wellbeing seeing as there are other, legal options available to the club which would have the same result in regards to Polak's rehabilitation.

The vote to allow Rama to go onto the Mature Age Rookie list was made before the other clubs knew that they planned on replacing him with the newly retired Mal Michael. It would be interesting to see what the vote would've been had the other clubs known this.
Pretty sure it was a very late decision to get Michael to the club, he had announced his retirement and only decided really close to the PSD that he wanted to keep going.
This is a list management decision as opposed to a fundemental concern for Polak's wellbeing seeing as there are other, legal options available to the club which would have the same result in regards to Polak's rehabilitation.
How do you know it is a list management decision, and what are other said options? Once again omitting the LTI as it has already been stated you can SIMPLY NOT know Polak's mental state and the affect him still being on the senior list will have on him.

And at any rate, what would happen should Polak be put on the Rookie List does not make our list the longest in the league, Sydney, Brisbane, West Coast, Fremantle all get special Rookie concessions which allows more players on their overall list, what makes it that much different to that? Your acting as if having one extra player is against the game's laws, which it isn't, and there is a precedent for this happening allowing the laws to allow it.

And at any rate, what would happen should Polak be put on the Rookie List does not make our list the longest in the league, Sydney, Brisbane, West Coast, Fremantle all get special Rookie concessions which allows more players on their overall list, what makes it that much different to that?

Umm, no we don't, neither do Fremantle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back