Richmond to take Cousins

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
of course he was renouned for picking up players who have been out of the game for a couple of years or delisted by other clubs when they might be past their used by date.

paul salmon and timmy are a couple that come to mind. bringing them out of retirement

murphy and camporealie from carlton and mal michael and barnsey

Shane Heard's another. And Heffernan was traded back to the Bombers.

On another note, they really have played this years "superdraft" differently to everybody else.

They only had 3 picks in the ND, one of them a injured player with two bad knees who happens to be a son of one of their staffers, and another who is an Essendon reject. They have hardly feasted on this years batch of exciting young players. Now they are in the PSD sctatching around for the leftovers with not one, but TWO picks!!!!

You really make it sound as bad as possible there don't you?

Absolutely nothing wrong with taking Vickery. He was what we considered to be the best available at our pick and the injuries and the fact his dad works there would have had nothing to do with it.

The Essendon 'reject' you talk about is still very young and was a top 20ish pick last year. If he can re-adjust his attitude, he will become a good player - fingers crossed.

The other pick in the PSD will probably not go toward a 'leftover'. I highly suspect the first one will be left from the best not taken in the superdraft you talk about.

Hardly badly played if you ask me.

Timmy from Thomastown;[URL="javascript:void(0)" said:
13225800[/URL]]The Ramanaskus precedent that was set has made a mockery of the proper use of the rookie list. If Richmond wanted to make an application for Polak (and the circumstances are different from Ramanaskus who contracted an illness through no fault of his own) then surely they should have made an application much earlier than now. Why have they left it so late unless they were taking the piss? Is Polak's injury any different to any other player who might be injured - eg the West Coast ruckman a few years back?

I have heard that Polak's been training hard in the hope that he may be able to make a sufficient recovery to play this season but recent talk is that he is having MASSIVE problems to the point he probably won't even play again.
Is it fair that in light of what happened to him that we are robbed a player from our list?

The Ramanaskus precedent that was set has made a mockery of the proper use of the rookie list.

I agree. Once you start making exceptions to rules, it's hard to put the genie back in the bottle.

If Polak is approved, then any non football injury/illness becomes potentially eligible for placing a guy on the rookie list from the senior list.
As far as I'm concerned that is what the long term injury list is for.

The Ramanaskus precedent that was set has made a mockery of the proper use of the rookie list. If Richmond wanted to make an application for Polak (and the circumstances are different from Ramanaskus who contracted an illness through no fault of his own) then surely they should have made an application much earlier than now. Why have they left it so late unless they were taking the piss? Is Polak's injury any different to any other player who might be injured - eg the West Coast ruckman a few years back?

Polak was hit by a tram, It is unknown when he will be back to football. He did not deliberately run into said tram. Maybe they are applying now because they have new information which means Polak will be out of action for all of 2009.

You really make it sound as bad as possible there don't you?

Absolutely nothing wrong with taking Vickery. He was what we considered to be the best available at our pick and the injuries and the fact his dad works there would have had nothing to do with it.

The Essendon 'reject' you talk about is still very young and was a top 20ish pick last year. If he can re-adjust his attitude, he will become a good player - fingers crossed.

The other pick in the PSD will probably not go toward a 'leftover'. I highly suspect the first one will be left from the best not taken in the superdraft you talk about.

Hardly badly played if you ask me.

Still only three picks, only two of whom are from this years draft camp. Thats pretty light-on in a superdraft.

Still only three picks, only two of whom are from this years draft camp. Thats pretty light-on in a superdraft.

As I said earlier, in all probability it will be 4 after the PSD, with players like Klemke, De Boer and Sibosado touted to go at pick 6. And who can complain with getting Hislop, if he was the best available that fitted our needs at that pick? Who cares if he's not from the 'superdraft'?

Polak was hit by a tram, It is unknown when he will be back to football. He did not deliberately run into said tram. Maybe they are applying now because they have new information which means Polak will be out of action for all of 2009.

I know what happened. Accidents happen on the training track, too, usually without alcohol being a factor. It begs the question of who is the more "worthy".

I'd be surprised if theres any new information, I think it was pretty obvious all the way along that his 2009 was going to be one of recovery.

Wow! I am genuinely happy. This is a fantastic decision and great that Ben is getting another chance. No surprise that Sheedy advocated picking Cousins up in recent months and is now getting his way. I hope he lights up the AFL next year.

One has to ask why at this very late stage are Richmond finally getting around to thinking about their squad and the Graham Polak situation?

Surely they could have started the process to invoke the Adam R mature age rookie ruling MONTHS ago.

Also 3AW are adding that Richmond will chose among Cousins, Nick Davis, Nathan Carroll and if you believe this Adam Yze.

It was on the back page of the Hun a while back. Wallace wanted to leave Polak on the main list to give him confidence and something to aim for in his recovery.

It has now been determined that there is no chance of Polak pulling on a guernsey this season, so of course it is now prudent to invoke the Ramanauskas rule.

Richmond would be mad not to draft Cousins now. Talk about an instant infusion of experience, skill and class into a young up and coming midfield. They could still get 100 games out of him too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When I first heard this I thought Richmond were pulling a swifty by pretending to be interested in Cousins, thus maybe forcing another club to waste a pick on him instead ... but then I thought, "no, Wallace isn't that clever, he really would be stupid enough to pick up Cousins".

Richmond, this is why you've gone nowhere under Wallace's coaching term, and why your "years without a premiership" will continue for many years to come.

When I first heard this I thought Richmond were pulling a swifty by pretending to be interested in Cousins, thus maybe forcing another club to waste a pick on him instead ... but then I thought, "no, Wallace isn't that clever, he really would be stupid enough to pick up Cousins".

Richmond, this is why you've gone nowhere under Wallace's coaching term, and why your "years without a premiership" will continue for many years to come.

Care to expand?

One has to ask why at this very late stage are Richmond finally getting around to thinking about their squad and the Graham Polak situation?

At a guess, to have a long as possible look at Polak and other non-listed players training at the club.

Makes perfect sense really.

i don't believe the AFL want cousins playing again. They have greenlighted the return (to remove possible restriction of trade litigation) and attached conditions to scare off suitors. They will not approve the polly downgrade

What's Wallace got to do with this? The news is Cousins could be headed for a lifeline, and that's the main story. Not whether or not Richmond is making the right decision.

I can't believe you've gone to the effort to even write that crap. Perhaps you are underrating the fact of how big a story it is that Cousins could be playing in the AFL next year. Whether it's for Richmond, West Coast, St. Kilda or Hawthorn, who cares?

The Tigers should be congratulated if they pick him up. I'd go to at least half a dozen Richmond games next year just to see Cousins back playing.

P.S. Wallace is a good coach and you're a fool.

I'm really happy for Cuz. Made some blues but is an ornament to the game.

Couple of things worry me about it though:

1. This seems like a Wallace/Sheedy last gasp effort to make it look like something is being done. That just doesn't sit well with me, can't quite put my finger on it though.

2. Hamstrings. Cuz did his hammy in his last comeback - his hammies are a couple of years older now.

I think in the games that he does play he'll have a huge impact. Stewy Dew showed that you don't lose your footy smarts, even if you lose some conditioning. I just reckon any tigers fans should forget the idea of him playing 22 games.

I hope he plays brilliantly and wins another brownlow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back