Richmond to take Cousins

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
As others have said - and while we are about making exemptions...whose to say Mat Maguire willplay again? Jaryd Allen's apparently got a serious hip injury thatis worse than thought.......it goes on...where do you drawe the line?

And why couldnt Geelong claim this for Egan?

You want Cousins - use your normal picks like the rest of us.

Fairly simple.

Deary me.

For the LAST time, Polak coming to within a bee's dick of death through an off-field accident and suferring brain injuries is not the same as Maguire having a dicky knee or Egan walking with a limp.

Put it this way, if I get injured at work doing work stuff I get compo. If I fall off the roof I don't.

Fairly simple? Yes, so you appear

If Richmond are smart they will draft Cousins because even if he does'nt perform (which I highly doubt because he is a star!) the amount of more members that will sign up will be huge! I seriously think he is not that old either... he is a fitness freak and could easily have another 5 years in him!

It staggers me that some people are so moronic they can't see they difference between a football related injury and a non football related injury.

Staggers me how some people can't see the difference between self inflicted and natural causes.

It changes little.

If this is allowed - and good luck to the Tiges - then ANY player injured during the off season with so called "never to play" again injuries is eligible to be treated in exactly the same manner. The precedent will be set.

We have a long term injury list for this very reason OR at least Richmond should be allowed to promote another rookie NOT get a second free swing in PSD for playing late list games...
Care to name how many players have been struck down with acquired brain injury or cancer while on an AFL list. Losing or possibly losing your career and therefore means to support yourself because of circumstances beyond your control is indeed reason enough to be given special treatment.

Losing your career because you have dodgy knee or bad back or complications from a footballing injury is unfortunate but is also part and parcel of the game.

That is where the difference lies in this case. Polak is not sitting out because he got knocked out playing the game, he is sitting out because of an acquired brain injury.

Perhaps it is about time the AFL did set a precedent when it comes to players whose careers are cut short or threatened because of injuries/illnesses suffered from issues outside of football.

If Richmond are smart they will draft Cousins because even if he does'nt perform (which I highly doubt because he is a star!) the amount of more members that will sign up will be huge! I seriously think he is not that old either... he is a fitness freak and could easily have another 5 years in him!
2 or 3 years still makes it worthwhile.

I must confess to having not the foggiest idea of what that means.

Accusing Polak of being "pissed as" (who, Didak?) when he wasn't warrants a direct response. You got it.

Surprised you haven't the foggiest idea what i meant but fair enough, no worries. I just assumed anyone that got hit by a tram (who'd been out at a function) would be pissed. my bad :eek:

Richmond and their supporters are pathetic with the way they're geeing themselves up over recruiting a 31 year old who hasn't played footy for at least a year.

They'll never get why Polak shouldn't be put on the mature rookie list because they can't look past their self interest to see the facts.

Other clubs wanted Cousins, but nixed that idea once they did their homework on him.

Punt Road is a great tragicomedy and no one is jealous of them getting Cousins.

Talk about delusions of grandeur. :eek:

We'll just laugh when it blows up in their face like the Kane Johnson trade that handed Wells to North...

Richmond are trying to sneak in a pick at the last minute and bend the rules to disadvantage others clubs who submitted their final list on time.

Sheedy is the common denonimator here...

The AFL

I'd be ropeable if Carlton recruited a player with Cousins' character and recent history.

Cousins isn't even good enough for St Kilda...

Cousins has the talent, but he's still bad news.

Even Nick Davis has a poorer reputation in the eyes of footy fans, yet he might be another terrific talent on the scrap heap come next week.

No one is crying for Davis and hoping he gets another chance to turn it around. :confused:

Cousins has burnt and used more people than Davis ever will. :thumbsdown:

Cousins is basically labelled as the victim of the AFL's drug policy by the footy media and the AFLPA who are saying he should be give another chance.

Cousins only has himself to blame for clubs taking a wide berth of him in the draft.

I'd rather Carlton recruit Davis if we were to go the down the path of recruiting a fallen star who is a complete and utter tool.

And that's after Swann bagged him publicly...

I wonder if Peter Cotchin will be happy with Richmond recruiting Cousins. :)

not sure as yet if rfc are doing the right thing.so i have read 700 odd post to help me decide.yours did not help.please post no more on this topic

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Richmond came out and said "We're taking Cousins at #6" then this issue would blow over quickly...

Do not covet thy neighbour's ass (or his 5 times All Australian and Brownlow medallist midfielder). It's a sin.

i don't have a problem with that as long as they don't get another pick on top

Deary me.

For the LAST time, Polak coming to within a bee's dick of death through an off-field accident and suferring brain injuries is not the same as Maguire having a dicky knee or Egan walking with a limp.

Put it this way, if I get injured at work doing work stuff I get compo. If I fall off the roof I don't.

I don't get it. Are you on the roof working? Its a pretty dumb comparison.

Deary me.

Is it deary me or dreary you?

We're all sad Polak didnt see the tram and has some serious injuries.

Why doesnt that extend then to any player - regardless where the injury occurs - who suffer a serious injury and may never play again?

We arent talking about workers comp and player payments - we are talking about bending the rules at the LAST minute to suit Richmond who have known Polaks had this injury for months....let me gues.....latest round of test caught up ion Xmas mail?

This stinks and you know it.

If you want him or any player use the right picks - you shouldnt be gifted another.

Obviously not simple enough for some.....

It staggers me that some people are so moronic they can't see they difference between a football related injury and a non football related injury.

Whats that got to do with the rules determining whether a player can be added as an ageing rookie?

Imustve missed the clause where it states "injuries must occur outside the workplace or within a 3mtr radius or perhaps at least car park"

Amazing the irrelevant cr@p people say....just to say something......:thumbsu:

Staggers me how some people can't see the difference between self inflicted and natural causes.

yep.

Polak was involved in an accident. Sad but they happen. So under this logic ANY off season accident that results in a serious injury should now mean the club gets an extra pick at the draft?

um....ok.

I wish Id known this last year BEFORE we made some delistings...

Deary me.

The end result is the same. Both clubs have a player on their list that cannot play - this is the rationale that Richmond and it's supporters are using for their need to bend the rules. Why should one club be allowed to replace that player, but another can't? What the injury is and how the injury occurs is completely irrelevant.

Care to name how many players have been struck down with acquired brain injury or cancer while on an AFL list. Losing or possibly losing your career and therefore means to support yourself because of circumstances beyond your control is indeed reason enough to be given special treatment.

Losing your career because you have dodgy knee or bad back or complications from a footballing injury is unfortunate but is also part and parcel of the game.

That is where the difference lies in this case. Polak is not sitting out because he got knocked out playing the game, he is sitting out because of an acquired brain injury.

Perhaps it is about time the AFL did set a precedent when it comes to players whose careers are cut short or threatened because of injuries/illnesses suffered from issues outside of football.

Players already receive more support than the average person when their careers end, regardless of how it ends. Polak's career being finished is sad, but it is no more sad than the countless players who have also had their careers ended through no fault of their own. You could almost argue that the game owes them more as it's the game itself that has cost them. Richmond supporters calling for compassion need to find some for others themselves first.

I have a hypothetical question - Daniel Gilmore of Fremantle missed over half the season this year after a brain injury (following a knock to the head, he suffered from migraines, dizziness and memory loss) left him unable to train or play. Can he now be moved to the rookie list too?

The end result is the same. Both clubs have a player on their list that cannot play - this is the rationale that Richmond and it's supporters are using for their need to bend the rules. Why should one club be allowed to replace that player, but another can't? What the injury is and how the injury occurs is completely irrelevant.

But that's not the issue. In this case the ends do NOT justify the means. If those means are footy related or brought about through voluntary actions, then they should NOT be treated in the same way as inuries sustained involuntarily OFF the football field.

That's just them making up a story from the bits we all know.

What i want to know is whether Jonathan Hay or Nathan Thompson's depression would have come under this rule to grab an extra pick.

How about anything else non footy related ?

Once you tell the world your rules are meaningless then u may as well scrap them.

What a great example of morality !

It is a well known fact that Hawthorn didn't inform the Kangaroos that Hay was suffering from depression when traded to the Kangaroos.

Yet another example of AFL clubs rorting the system to suit their own ends.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back