Autopsy Richmond v Port

Remove this Banner Ad

Yea good effort but not good enough . Thought Finlayson was pretty good really , he’s a smart player . Not a first ruck of course .
We probably matched them in lots of areas but the structure fell apart at times and apart from the few times we actually hit up a leading forward still a lot of times just blazed away kicking to no one .
Most of the defence was good , Burton , Houston , DBJ particularly Clurey was quite good . Bonner got better probably as the game went on but still seems to leak a goal a game through a lame effort somew along the line .
Amon was good ., probably upped his price a bit . Didn’t really like Dumont , he does run hard I guess but doesn’t have much presence. If Duursma or Bergman can’t get that spot I’m disappointed . Wines was ok but not dominant , Boak was better and Drew was good . Butters was ok i did think Kane Cornes a few times with his style . Rozee was good. ( he does have a funny handball technique) . Jones was good , he’s at least competitive and stays over the ball , ( dont want too many wide receivers in the team ) plays similar to Powell Pepper in the forward line but he was running back to half back as well, maybe he was playing wing . But quite often it seemed the default kick in or down the line kick was a tall and Jones for control if the ball spilled .
Marshall was good , Dixon was um competitive, not sure how good that ankle is but at least he was a presence .
Motlop was utter
Gray was very quiet
Farrel at least got better as the game went on , his kicking is great.
Jonas was um quiet.
I think we need a ruck an back in and bring in replacements for Dumont, Gray and Motlop

So, I’ve just finished watching the game on replay, and was taking notes as I went.

Main takeaway? its not the players talent, it’s not the game day effort, it’s the structure.

We need the players to rebel the way the old Woodville team did under Malcolm Blight where the players and captain literally would state in the pre game huddle on field to play how they wanted and not how Malcolm coached them to play. Went from bottom mid season to a prelim. But I digress.

Having said that, we still kicked 4 goals from marks inside 50 to their 2. Would have won with Sam H or Mitch G instead of Charlie D.

Now, to the other farce. The umpiring. My notes….

Port Adelaide’s goals came from
  • clear play to mark/set shot (Amon Q1, Marshall twice Q2, Dixon Q2),
  • open play (Wines Q3, Finlayson Q3, Rozee Q4),
  • obvious free kicks (holding in marking contest Marshall Q1, HTB Powell-Pepper Q4)
The only questionable call was the one from the not-affecting-play 50mtr penalty (Farrell Q3)

Richmond, on the other hand
Q1
13.27 to play: HTB paid for ball knocked out in tackle. Play on to advantage Goal*
12.19 to play: 50 mtr paid for encroachment 8m on the opposite side to where player was playing on. Goal*
10.02 to play: Player drops the knees, leans into tackle and plays for a high tackle. Goal*
3.40 to play. Mark and goal.
2.10 to play. Handball recieve running though 40. Goal.

Q2
17.30 to play. Push in the back in marking contest ignored, subsequent free kick and mark to Goal*

Q3
18.00 to play. Mark and goal.
14.40 to play. Obvious holding in marking contest. Goal.

Q4
17.00 to play. Insignificant holding in marking contest. Goal*
13.30 to play. Clear push in the back on defender ignored, run into empty goalsquare. Goal*
3.50 to play. Player drags ball in and not called HTB. Resultant throw in to snap. Goal*

So 7 of 11 Richmond goals influenced by questionable umpiring calls given.

if you lost money on this game, you’d have a fair axe to grind with the AFL tonight.

Goodnight.

Bassett said and I quote when asked why we have gone into the game without a recognised ruckman. " We can't do any worse than last week". Duck off Bassett, Davies, Montgomery Hinkley.
Yes you can do worse: our forward structure needed another TALL.
They way bring the ball into the forwards. means we NEEDED another tall.
Do no look, just bomb it in.
Richmond were not that bad, just that we were worse with ball usage.
Rozee: unless he can kick a goal, he is one of the worst going forward.
etc, etc, etc, same old same old.....

Tonight was genuinely the first time where I've thought the AFL has phucked the game. It's not just all the new stupid rules and interpretations like STAAANNDD but then to have to endure such biased umpiring.

Perhaps if two neutral teams were playing and I didn't care about the result then I would've enjoyed it more.

So, I’ve just finished watching the game on replay, and was taking notes as I went.

Main takeaway? its not the players talent, it’s not the game day effort, it’s the structure.

We need the players to rebel the way the old Woodville team did under Malcolm Blight where the players and captain literally would state in the pre game huddle on field to play how they wanted and not how Malcolm coached them to play. Went from bottom mid season to a prelim. But I digress.

Having said that, we still kicked 4 goals from marks inside 50 to their 2. Would have won with Sam H or Mitch G instead of Charlie D.

Now, to the other farce. The umpiring. My notes….

Port Adelaide’s goals came from
  • clear play to mark/set shot (Amon Q1, Marshall twice Q2, Dixon Q2),
  • open play (Wines Q3, Finlayson Q3, Rozee Q4),
  • obvious free kicks (holding in marking contest Marshall Q1, HTB Powell-Pepper Q4)
The only questionable call was the one from the not-affecting-play 50mtr penalty (Farrell Q3)

Richmond, on the other hand
Q1
13.27 to play: HTB paid for ball knocked out in tackle. Play on to advantage Goal*
12.19 to play: 50 mtr paid for encroachment 8m on the opposite side to where player was playing on. Goal*
10.02 to play: Player drops the knees, leans into tackle and plays for a high tackle. Goal*
3.40 to play. Mark and goal.
2.10 to play. Handball recieve running though 40. Goal.

Q2
17.30 to play. Push in the back in marking contest ignored, subsequent free kick and mark to Goal*

Q3
18.00 to play. Mark and goal.
14.40 to play. Obvious holding in marking contest. Goal.

Q4
17.00 to play. Insignificant holding in marking contest. Goal*
13.30 to play. Clear push in the back on defender ignored, run into empty goalsquare. Goal*
3.50 to play. Player drags ball in and not called HTB. Resultant throw in to snap. Goal*

So 7 of 11 Richmond goals influenced by questionable umpiring calls given.

if you lost money on this game, you’d have a fair axe to grind with the AFL tonight.

Goodnight.
wow. you are spot on and very brave.
dixon is a washed up loser with good luck.

It's official... All our coaches are ******* morons.
Imagine hearing that. It's actual workplace bullying. What a pack of campaigners

Didn’t we win the clearances quite comfortably? I know the consensus here was that we’d get slaughtered without a ruck but it wasn’t the case.

We lost because when the game gets tight we have players who seem to forget they are actually good kicks of the footy. Marshall when he had the opportunity to put us in front. Rozee with shit delivery after shit delivery inside 50. Guys kicking it to the advantage of opposition players. Even when we did do good things there would be a point where we would make it look harder than it needed to be.

We are right exactly where we are supposed to be. Thinking we are better than what we are got us into that 0-5 hole. So now, what you could say was a gutsy effort to take on Richmond at the MCG is now just hollow. As Terry Wallace said, “What does a fantastic effort give us? It doesn’t give us anything! They don’t give us diddly squat! They don’t give a ****ing point for getting close! It means nothing!”

Remember those two to three weeks where we had a semi functional forward line; kicking to leads of georgiades marshall and finalyson and now we’ve literally gone back to square one bombing balls on gray and dixons head
It's frustrating to watch. Even in this game we saw at the start that spreading it wide through the middle and lowering the eyes to a 1 v 1 target was the way to go. As soon as Richmond scored a couple of goals the instinct to take a bit of risk disappeared and it was straight to kicking it long down the line to a contested (mostly outnumbered) target.

Tonight was genuinely the first time where I've thought the AFL has phucked the game. It's not just all the new stupid rules and interpretations like STAAANNDD but then to have to endure such biased umpiring.

Perhaps if two neutral teams were playing and I didn't care about the result then I would've enjoyed it more.
Watched tonight's game with friends: common theme was, we watch, follow, support. because we live in Adelaide.

If I lived in NSW or Queensland, I would follow NRL, not AFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This game epitomized our best and our ugliest and our most frustrating - all in the one game.

Some excellent things, particularly in the middle 2 terms, but a ten minute lapse in the first where they monstered us due to us not keeping a workable forward structure in place for long enough, and a lot of panic, hack forward entry kicks.
Then lot of panic, hack kicks in the final 15 minutes of the last when the game was on the line.
So frustrating, but so predictable.

Reminiscent of the 2020 PF o_O:huh::thumbsdown:

the only upside i see with playing dixon is if he can ruck. if he cant ruck then he is useless.
if he cant ruck competently then he is just a disrupter who puts his own personal glory above the team success.
it took us 5-6 painful weeks to get our forward line right without dixon.
now he is back we will need another 5-6 weeks to adjust to a forward who marks with one hand and falls over 90% of the time. and the season is gone.
but yeah. lets put our love for dixon above everything else.
and stick georgi in the can so he moves on later.
just so a washed up loser can get another gold trimmed chance to revive his own glory.

I thought the effort was definitely there tonight, they had a real decent crack at it but structurally we were broken. Once again Hinkley has been out coached, it’s becoming all too familiar. Our tactics aren’t working. We need a change ffs.

But having said all of that, I thought we were the better team for the majority of the match. Richmond are terrible but got one of the biggest armchair rides I’ve ever seen. I would’ve rather they pantsed us legitimately, this just feels like a genuine shafting. Some of the decisions and non decisions were just baffling. The inconsistencies depending on the jumper being worn was ridiculous.

Nothing seems to be going our way in the close games this year. 1 win and 4 losses for games decided by 2 goals or less. First dumont goes down and initially I thought it was good getting frederick into the game fresh but he literally did nothing, fancy coming In fresh in the last quarter and getting one disposal. And the collision of Jonas and butters then hurt us further and the dusty push in the back and goal only seconds later was just a massive slap in the face.

I’m done defending Motlop, that was an unforgivable performance. You’re finished, that’s probably his last ever game it was that bad. And sadly gray not far off, he looked every bit cooked tonight, another one I’ve strongly defended and have been left with egg on my face.

The coach is shit, but I’m starting to wonder if the list is too.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Motlop was dreadful. In the first quarter he got done twice holding the ball because he tried fending off. If he hadn't fended on both of those occasions he would've been able to either release it or gotten away with ball ups. In tight contests he never does enough. For somebody on his salary he should be a consistent 20+ disposal player a game with the occasional goal. Instead we usually see a dozen possessions and a few goals in junk time.
On Motlop's salary? He's not on his free agency deal anymore, he's on a 1 year extension and was pretty much the last player we signed. He's not on big money.

On Motlop's salary? He's not on his free agency deal anymore, he's on a 1 year extension and was pretty much the last player we signed. He's not on big money.

Geelong decided not to match the Power’s offer for Motlop, opting instead to receive draft compensation.

It was expected to be a pick in the second round, but having signed a four-year contract worth over $500,000 per season, the Cats will receive Pick 19.

Historically Motlop has been on excellent coin and he has failed to deliver. IF he is now not on big money it's a no-brainer to put him in the Magpies for the rest of the season.

Is Ken aware that Doctors can be wrong?

Yes they are questioning his decision like we can question any medical decision?

Absolute no reason why they shouldn't have been tested for concussion. It was a massive head knock. I hope the club get smashed in fines. Arrogant campaigner.

Far out you’re a drama queen

Hinkley doing a great job defending Dr Mark Fisher who has been with the club for 25 years re no concussion issues.

As he basically said, do you have more experience than him to question him?

Dick head journalists worried about the look and because of lots of blood, didnt look good. More journos trying to win a Martin Luther King award.
Just heard it. He defended him well. Best press conference he’s given for a while although wasn’t asked any serious questions about the game itself.

Far out you’re a drama queen

I can't count how many ex footballers I've heard of with acute mental health issue re to CTE in the past 12 months.

Tell them they're drama queens

The AFL are taking this dead seriously. They're shitting in their dacks and have no idea what's going to hit them.

It was a valid question and ken sounded like a arrogant bubbling idiot who's clearly lost it because he knows he's gone.

Any medical doctor will tell you a frontal head clash like that requires a concussion test. The doctor must not have seen the footage.

Meanwhile ken still thinks it's the bush league, dumb bogan

Last edited:
I wonder what the coaches think about DBJ’s ball use. We use him a lot going into forward 50, but our retention of the ball when it is in his hands would be extremely low. Surely, they see it. Ginever is the only commentator who seems to call it out.

Really disappointed also at Rozee’s kicking in the last half. What was going on there?

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Richmond v Port

Remove this Banner Ad

Back