Richmond, what were they thinking?

Remove this Banner Ad

Regardless of who goes at 8 we needed defensive KPP now. Any player taken in this draft is not going to fully worthwhile for 3 or 4 years.

So we went for a 22 year old with 70 games under his belt ready to play and coming into his prime years now not in four years time.

And all we gave up was who ever goes at 8 but we still get a player at 13 who has just as much chance of being a very good player over many years.

Good work by Miller

Further to my post about it being an excellent deal for the Tiges, if they were to get N. Brown at 13 it could solve their KP backline problems for the next 8-10 years.

The Dice Man said:
Thanks for concern, I didnt realise you worried about the RFC so much.

I guess his concern for Richmond equates to the same concern you have for us :p

RHAS said:
And all we gave up was who ever goes at 8 but we still get a player at 13 who has just as much chance of being a very good player over many years.

What do you base that on?

Far bigger chance of getting a very good player with pick 8 than 13 imo.

worthy said:
Further to my post about it being an excellent deal for the Tiges, if they were to get N. Brown at 13 it could solve their KP backline problems for the next 8-10 years.

Perhaps they should have keep pick 8 to guarantee theyd get him.

understudy said:
Certainly back these 8 in over Polak.

based on what exactly? Potential??? What have they actually achieved considering they've never pulled on an AFL jumper compared to Polak who's played 70 games and was runner up in the rising star from the 01 superdraft?

Id be more concerned about the lack of midfield talent in this year's draft which is more of a concern for you.

worthy said:

I'm hoping they pick up both of the Brown boys with our first 2 picks, would definitely bolster our KPP's for the future & then add a couple of speedsters with our later picks.

itsintheblood said:
based on what exactly? Potential??? What have they actually achieved considering they've never pulled on an AFL jumper compared to Polak who's played 70 games and was runner up in the rising star from the 01 superdraft?

Polaks is struggling at AFL level right now, where he was drafted in 01 has no relevance.

understudy said:
Polaks is struggling at AFL level right now, where he was drafted in 01 has no relevance.

Why was chris tarrant traded? Isnt it a similar situation? Tarrant was lucky to have played as many games as he did given his form this year. Very lucky. I suggest to you he only played as many games as he did because he was the presidents' love child.

Polak has loads of talent. Make no mistake. Freo were reluctant to let him go cheap and he didnt go cheap.

Clearly we disagree iitb, lets see how Polak goes in 07 and into the future.

As I said I dont see much in him and suspect the tigers have made the wrong call and will pay for it over the longer term.

understudy said:
Perhaps they should have keep pick 8 to guarantee theyd get him.

Says who, you? haha :D

All draft picks are speculative... remind me what pick Andrew Raines went, or even Jimmy Hird?

Who says we even want this Nathan Brown, again, you? LMFAO.. Are you Greg Miller's understudy or something.

You're about the only one here showing concern over Richmond's decision. Even Hawthorn, Carlton and Essedon supporters are saying it was an inspired move. Now you know you've ****ed up your troll attempt when opposition supporters come into it. :D

Understudy is apt, always in the shadows, never the main man.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It would be interesting to do a comparison between pick 8 and pick 13 in the past drafts...I doubt there is a hell of allot of difference.

Polak is a talent, make no mistake about that. A young polak in the draft pool this year would go high again.
Wallace is an excellent coach and I have no doubt Polak will go onto have at the very least a serviceable career.
His kicking needs work, but his raw talent cannot be denied.

Had we not had such a surplus of KPP talent we would have not traded him.

The Dice Man said:
Says who, you? haha :D

All draft picks are speculative... remind me what pick Andrew Raines went, or even Jimmy Hird?

Who says we even want this Nathan Brown, again, you? LMFAO.. Are you Greg Miller's understudy or something.

You're about the only one here showing concern over Richmond's decision. Even Hawthorn, Carlton and Essedon supporters are saying it was an inspired move. Now you know you've ****ed up your troll attempt when opposition supporters come into it. :D

Understudy is apt, always in the shadows, never the main man.

:) EXACTLY. Raines in the 70s and even Matthew White was a pre-season draft pick-up and he will be serviceable for us for quite a few years.

Inspired move by the Tigers, addressing a key weakness - a lack of tall defenders. Yes, the Tigers could - and still may - draft a key position player, but that guy in all likelihood won't be ready for two years. Where this club ius at, Polak is the right fit...or at worst...at least worth the gamble.

And besides, I can see Wallace throwing Polak forward on occasions...with sucess!

Yes Diceman, if we'd have kept pick three in that draft we could have netted Mathew Pavlich.

Disastourous trading and drafting. Fortunately our appraoch has improved a hell of a lot since then.

understudy said:
Yes Diceman, if we'd have kept pick three in that draft we could have netted Mathew Pavlich.

Disastourous trading and drafting. Fortunately our appraoch has improved a hell of a lot since then.

LOL at the collingwood fan trying to make himself feel better for having pick 8 and trading tarrant.

Tell you what we tiger fans are over the moon with this deal. Worry about your own backyard.

Miller is a genius. ;)

understudy said:

Understudy are you a Richmond supporter? Some seem to think your a Collingwood troll. Will the 8 players you listed all be taken with the first 8 picks. If so in what order will they be taken? This shouldn't be hard as you obviously have a highly developed eye for talent and clubs individual needs.
As a side note don't you find it interesting that Hawthorn delisted their #8 pick in the 2002 draft today, Luke Brennan, they might have been better to take #13, Byron Schammer.

sabre_ac said:
It would be interesting to do a comparison between pick 8 and pick 13 in the past drafts...I doubt there is a hell of allot of difference.

Code:
Draft / #8 / #13

2005 / Jarrad Oakley-Nicholls / Shannon Hurn
2004 / John Meeson / Matthew Bate
2003 / Raphael Clarke / Brent Stanton
2002 / Luke Brennan / Byron Schammer
2001 / James Bartel / Nick Dal Santo
2000 / Daniel Motlop / Ashley McGrath

Polak is a talent, make no mistake about that. A young polak in the draft pool this year would go high again.
Wallace is an excellent coach and I have no doubt Polak will go onto have at the very least a serviceable career.
His kicking needs work, but his raw talent cannot be denied.

Had we not had such a surplus of KPP talent we would have not traded him.

Fear not.

Some of us are more than content to have Polak at Punt Road, more so at the price we got him for.

:)

Goldust said:
:) EXACTLY. Raines in the 70s and even Matthew White was a pre-season draft pick-up and he will be serviceable for us for quite a few years.

Tuck, Thurstfeild, Hartigan ..

understudy said:

Who had pick #1 in the 'Pavlich draft'?

understudy said:
What do you base that on?

Far bigger chance of getting a very good player with pick 8 than 13 imo.

That is what you don't get US. Richmond needed defensive KPP now not in four years time so to get one cheaply with a down grade of 5 spots is very good.

If we didn't have such a hole in our defence it would not have happened

Good trade by Miller. Now you sit back and watch your pick 8 and 10 and pray they do develop into as good players as you are so sure they will. Good luck to you.

Remove this Banner Ad

Richmond, what were they thinking?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back