RIP Phil Walsh - Police, club, league statements in OP

Remove this Banner Ad

RIP

Condolences to family and footy in Adelaide.

Football is extremely secondary today.

I found out this morning as well, but I had to go to work, so I couldn't post then but I just wanted to say, my thoughts go out to the Walsh family and friends, the Adelaide Football Club, all the players and staff, also the fans.

It's hit the entire football community.

R.I.P Phil Walsh

The AFL website wrote a coaches rating 2 days ago

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-07-01/midyear-coach-ratings

I notice that they have removed the Phil Walsh rating.
What, are we writing him out of history already?

Here's what it said, for anyone interested:

In his first season as senior coach, Phil Walsh is still figuring out how to get the best out of his playing group. He hasn't had time to shape the group through multiple drafts and trade and free agency periods and has publically stated the Crows are short of key personnel. Any hope of a quick resurgence under the new coach has been all but ruined by a horror year of injuries highlighted by a knee reconstruction to Matthew Jaensch and multiple fractured cheekbones to Rory Sloane. The loss of key players has severely hurt the side's ability to reach its potential in 2015, but Walsh is setting the foundations for the remaining two years of his initial contract by trying to improve the playing group's habits. The Crows have again been inconsistent this season but as he's only just settled in at West Lakes, Walsh wouldn't be feeling the pinch from the club's administration.

Contracted until: End of 2017 Pressure rating 1/10- Harry Thring

Thought today was handled really well kudos to the AFL,Crows and everyone involved.

Just saw part of Gill's press conference for the first time.
Handled it about as well as anyone could have under these circumstances.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really tragic & sad news. I heard this at work early this morning, and the mood around the entire office was so sombre for the rest of the day.

The AFL have handled this as well as they could. There's no way they could make the players front up on Sunday. I can't even imagine how they'll be able to do it for next week.

(Posted this earlier on another thread) One of the worst days in AFL history. RIP Phil Walsh.
We're all gutted by what has happened as fans of the game, but we must all respect those who were close to him and support the grieving process that will take some time to get through.
The AFL has been challenged in recent years by the Essendon drug scandal, the Harley Bennell photo this week caused a furore, but all of that is totally insignificant in comparison to a tragic and unnecessary death.
We all saw how extremely difficult it was when Phil Hughes died last November, it will be a traumatic week ahead for the young men who represent the Adelaide football club and an emotional time for all their fans and administrators. The why's and how's of this tragedy should be left for another time, i urge everyone to look at your loved ones a little differently today, that mate who gives you the shits sometimes and that stranger who just bumped into you while looking at their phone instead of where they were going.

Being in control of your life and having realistic expectations about your day-to-day challenges are the keys to stress management, which is perhaps the most important ingredient to living a happy, healthy and rewarding life. Each person's drive to overwork is unique, and doing too much numbs every workaholic's emotions differently. Sometimes overwork numbs depression, sometimes anger, anxiety, insecurity.

For many of us who are over workers, work is the one place where we feel appreciated. The things that we long to experience at home - pride in our accomplishments, laughter and fun, relationships that aren't complex - we sometimes experience most often in the workplace. We sometimes find it difficult to differentiate between our home life and work life.
What emotions would we experience if we weren't working ourselves to death?
Only when we step away from our frenzy can we know. Give everyone in your family an extra hug this weekend.

This article about his son just keeps making the situation sound rather bizzare

http://www.theage.com.au/national/walshs-nomad-son-spoke-of-fathers-iron-will-20150703-gi4q9b.html
He writes of wanting to live life to its fullest, becoming a guitar player, a blogger, a teacher, a writer, mastering yoga and Japanese, excelling at Crossfit, and bartending. "I want it ALL," he wrote.

Sounds like he wants to be anything else but a bartender.

Remove this Banner Ad

RIP Phil Walsh - Police, club, league statements in OP

Remove this Banner Ad

Back