AFL Autopsy RND 11: Beaten at the Poohtress

Remove this Banner Ad

Nice positive post. It's killing me to watch heppell try his heart out and fail more often than not, but good reminder to focus on the positives sometimes.

Durham looked great out there today. Wonder if it just clicked for him, or if he was asked to play the Redman role and that's what feels most comfortable to him atm?
Not sure it was solely the Redman role as he found himself defending hard in the forward fifty at times which was awesome. What ever his role was today, it should be his to play as he did today.

We are desperate for a crafty forward. I'd be tempted to throw Heppell there as a last throw of the dice with him.
Overall, effort was there and we win that game probably with Stringer in the team.

Funny that you're still on that tongue in cheek post, if it were that easy to drop a club forever I would have done it during the saga.

Also funny since it was then that you were constantly shitting on me for calling Heppell out, how's that going for you now moite?
Hmm, let me see.

Well, this was me post round 3
It seems Hepp is still the best 'leader' in the team and provides tremendous value in that regards, but is providing diminishing returns in regards to 'footballing output' so to speak.

Tough situation for all involved, because you might be able to replace his physical out put, but there is no telling what that void in leadership might look like in-game and during the week in terms of setting standard.
So it's going basically the same, really. Heppell is providing diminishing output on the field but plays a significant role through the week.

You see, I try not to impulsively post things I have to consequently walk back as 'tongue in cheek' later on.

Being shit in the wet is one thing but to literally have a moment to own and you get rid of that, it compounds it with poor efforts in previous games (which is what I brought up as well which you conveniently left out) and thus he is in need for the 2's to get his head right.

Funny that you're still on that tongue in cheek post, if it were that easy to drop a club forever I would have done it during the saga.

Also funny since it was then that you were constantly shitting on me for calling Heppell out, how's that going for you now moite?
967B980F-4331-43A3-81F9-2E1429D0B1F6.jpeg

This is the game (at least 80-odd % of it) a lot of us fans are talking about - put in this type of effort and most fans will accept a loss. Not even sure if ‘accept’ is the right word, but I feel like most of us can cop the losses when we see the effort and the youth coming through.

Also, people that think the players try 100% of the time are delirious. The effort this arvo compared to the one against Sydney was enormous.

Port kicked just the one goal after half-time, via former Roo Trent Dumont. It occurred at the 25-minute mark of the third quarter, when the Power were 10 points to the good.

Don’t normally see much interesting in the match reports, but since I personally wasn’t counting how many goals port kicked or when that’s actually kind of surprising.

They only kicked one goal after half time!

A tale of two halves indeed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only got to watch last quarter, thought **** I wish it was dry. Alas, we've been doing it all year in the dry.
That is not a coaching problem, but keep the the faith.

Knowing we are crap this year, needing to take positives away from each game gets me through the shit show that is the Essendon Football Club's game each week.

This week we had a few which was pleasantly pleasing.

- Nic Martin continues to defy how he was recruited, no player has that right to be doing as well as he is in only his 10th AFL game.

- Sam Durham had probably his best 4 quarter game for us. His marking came from no where tonight. Was surprised at how well he was sticking them.

- Ben Hobbs continues to get his hands on the ball with another 20+ possession game.

- Nic Hind had one of his best games for the year tonight. Took the game on and used it well. Decision making improved on recent weeks.

- Andy McGrath coming towards the ball looked so good, even if he was rolling back as a defensive winner. Looked great this evening and one with his trademark zip back.

Knowing we are crap this year, needing to take positives away from each game gets me through the shit show that is the Essendon Football Club's game each week.

This week we had a few which was pleasantly pleasing.

- Nic Martin continues to defy how he was recruited, no player has that right to be doing as well as he is in only his 10th AFL game.

- Sam Durham had probably his best 4 quarter game for us. His marking came from no where tonight. Was surprised at how well he was sticking them.

- Ben Hobbs continues to get his hands on the ball with another 20+ possession game.

- Nic Hind had one of his best games for the year tonight. Took the game on and used it well. Decision making improved on recent weeks.

- Andy McGrath coming towards the ball looked so good, even if he was rolling back as a defensive winner. Looked great this evening and one with his trademark zip back.
I’ve been a Hind hater this year. He was good today

I've been guilty of giving Hepp the benefit of the doubt but he really did look a bit washed up tonight. Sure he still has an incredible tank, but he looks slow with ball in hand, makes poor decisions/is too slow to make a decision, sells teammates up the river with his disposal. Just hurting us too much in the backline. If they can find a role for him further up the ground so be it, but hard to see how he plays into next year without reinventing his game or finding a new role.

Ruttens press conference;

"yeh, effort was good, blah, blah, blah"

"learnings, blah, blah, blah"

"we'll regroup and go again next start, blah., blah, blah"
Why do you even listen ? You know what is coming in any coaches press conference. At least truck has given a few drive by shots to the senior players.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Autopsy RND 11: Beaten at the Poohtress

Remove this Banner Ad

Back