AFL Autopsy RND 12: Loss To The Suns

Remove this Banner Ad

Bad kicking is bad footy. Could've won if we converted even a third of our behinds.

Oh well, on to Carlton next week.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app
But it seemed like everytime we kicked a goal they started with the ball in the centre of the ground. At least when we missed they only seemed to start with it on the wing...

Lots like from Caldwell and Durham again. Merrett is tireless and Hind was brilliant. Tsatas wasn't great coming on late, McKay was a bit shaky, Laverde gives his all but we need to play one of him and Kelly in the backline as medium tall with another KPD, but can't have them both in the side.

Hope the club doesn't get carried away with our ladder position, we're clearly as good as our percentage. However, you have to love the better effort, better structure and better ball movement this season. I hope we build on it by playing kids.

i’ll probably have a wine or two tonight and chill out. I definitely won’t get my knickers in a twist over that game. I might check in tomorrow and see how everyone is coping in here
I'll have half!

1717318148269.png

We definitely need the bye to freshen up, keeping in mind Sydney and GWS have already had TWO byes. Hopefully we can put it a big effort against the blues.

Pleasing that we didn’t drop our heads after getting 4 goals down and put ourselves in a position where we could have won it.

It feels like we are say a Luke Davies Uniacke and Tyson Stengle away from genuinely competing.

Bad kicking is bad football...great game, abysmally umpired (both ways at times)....miss Goldstein, Parish and to a lesser degree Hobbs and Setterfield.

Bryan is almost tall enough, almost skilful enough and almost in the right position to take a mark or two…sadly the worst of it is he doesn’t seem tall or big enough for AFL level without some other standout quality.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Had plenty of chances but forward line looks pretty dysfunctional, constant big packs of players where there should be more leading out into space. Looked a midfield rotation short

Been due for a loss for a few weeks, better to get it done today, off Broadway away from home, than next week against Carlton. I don't think we played terribly today, but we wern't blown off the park either. Reality check, reset, maybe we can beat the blues.

the people who think umpires impacted that game are the ones who thought we had "good wins" against Richmond, west coast and north.

we have been putting paper over cracks for weeks now.

we have gone from one of the best clearance teams, to the worst and our scoring/offence is abysmal.

if the alarm bells weren't ringing before, they better be now.

fair bit of overreactions going on here.

We competed for four quarters and really could have won the game if we were better in front of goal and used it better going forward. Previous Essendon teams would have thrown it away in the 3rd quarter.

Gold Coast have not lost at home this year, was always going to be a challenge to win this game.

We are undersized in the middle and despite the effort to tackle their bigger mids were able to break tackle and get handballs free when it mattered. Clearance numbers went our way, but setterfield will be needed inclusion next week. Bryan did exactly what most expected him to do, 0 marks but was able to get involved around stoppage with some quick handballs and kicks under pressure. People overreacted again with his one mistake.

Upforward Langford and stringer were off, jones worked hard but our skill level cost him a few extra marks, and wright was needed for aerial presence around the ground. Crumbers were not sighted, with Gresham and menzie getting involved more up the field.

Backs held up, McKay probably got beaten but definitely not disgraced. King is now equal first on goal kicking. Leverde try’s hard but his kicking is far too predictable and ends up coming back far too regularly.

This is not panic stations, we tried and took it 4 quarters.
The bye can’t come quick enough, plenty of our players look tired. Hopefully the boys have one more big effort next week.

I think leverde and Caldwell may get sighted for dangerous tackles. I’ll have to wait and see what comes out of it.

I really liked the effort today but need to fix the inside 50 entries and get more from our forwards. Mind you, kick straight and we win. Also need another A grade midfielder. Too much for Zac to do. Go after LDU.

Umpiring is just abysmal. Not just the free kick and 50 they got. The Durham thing in our favour was just as bad. Umpires have no feel for the game. They need to go back to 3 umpires and stop paying 50/50 free kicks.

the people who think umpires impacted that game are the ones who thought we had "good wins" against Richmond, west coast and north.

we have been putting paper over cracks for weeks now.

we have gone from one of the best clearance teams, to the worst and our scoring/offence is abysmal.

if the alarm bells weren't ringing before, they better be now.
Your posting like we've made prelims and semis over the last 5 years.

I don't care what anyone says, the ending was poor from the umps. 1 kick in it, just let them play and stop trying to be the center stage. Happens way too often.

Honestly, there's not much to discuss about this game. Gold Coast kicked well and we didn't. We should have won that, but I also think we fought back hard once they got out to a 17 point lead instead of dropping our heads.

Only have one more interstate game left for the year so hopefully we can hit the ground running in the second half of the year starting with beating the scum next week.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back