Preview Rnd 18 - Carlton v Richmond - Saturday 28th July - 7:40pm @ MCG - Team - Post #319

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
They will come out extremely hungry this time and a good start by us won't be enough to break their spirits. They are a competitive side these days.

Warnock will be a big in, as with Kruez he rucks better when he rucks solo (ala finals series last year.) Also will give Casbolt an opportunity to play the hulking forward with Thornton leading up from the square.

Rance played really well on petrie for three quarters this week, but as we know petrie can tear a game open in a quarter of footy. I'd like to get Thornton to fight for the Rance match up this week as he did with Lake.

We need to keep their Backline accountable as they have a few young whippets who can be really damaging off half back. I'm not sure where Bell played from last week but having a big bodied hunter in our forward line this week could be handy. We've lacked the forward pressure we have had in the past, and he might be the player to provide it.

So forwards to look like this:

Garltett Thornton(Kruez) Casbolt
Collins Betts Bell

Carrazzo should go to Cotchin and Armfield to Deledio. Stopping these guys is crucial. Deledio in particular as he does for them what Yarran does for us. His run and carry quchly shifts the centre of gravity of the whole game, and finds defenders and mids very quickly out of position. He must not be able to run.

Mids:

Robbo Gibbs Carrazzo
Warnock murphy mclean

I reckon Jamo can beat Rievolt. But Duigan and Scotland will have their work cut out stopping martin and Nahas. Small forwards have really hurt us this year, and I'd like to see Ratts Doogz and Scoto really make a point of stopping their smalls this week.

defence:
Armfield Duigan Scotland
Jamison Yarran Russell(Henderson)

Bench: AJ, Curnow, Caspa(Russle)

The final questions are who will be right to play from our injury list.
Kruez and Henderson are automatic inclusions if fit at the expense of Thornton and Dale. It's risky but I reckon we need to play the two rucks even though they both like to ruck solo. Casbolt means they won't get the best defender and they both should be able to take a mark resting forward.

Waite to play in the twos alongside Mitchel. Get that partnership going now before next year.

For what it's worth if we can get a team that looks like this for the finals anything is possible

ff: Betts Waite Casbolt
hf: Garlett Walker Collins
c:Simson Gibbs Robbinson
hb:Touhy Henderson Scotland
fb:Jamison Duigan Yarran
r:Kruez Judd Murphy

ic:Bell Armfield Curnow (sub) Joseph

Interesting selection dilemnas coming up, as usually happens when stop gap players perform and the players they replaced become available again.

We are still a small chance at finals, but its a slim one. We really needed Richmond to get up over Nth.

But assuming we can beat Richmond, Nth would beat Melb, Saints beat Bulldogs and Freo beat Port (although could go either way) we are no closer next week to what we are now and a week closer to running out of time.

The week after we have top of the ladder Sydney. If we could win that, then at least Freo have a derby and likely to lose and saints have pies and likely to lose but Nth have bulldogs so we would still be a game and percentage behind them. And lets be realistic, unless we have a number of our players back in 2 weeks (actually back this week with a week under their belts) we wont be much chance of beating Sydney.

And then the week after that, Judd still not back, Essendon have North and might beat them although I doubt it but the Saints have Melb so they would remain only a game behind us but Adel have Freo which might get us a buffer over them.

Point being, its so very tight for 8th that to really be any show at all we would have to win every game from now on including the return bout against StKilda. Not impossible but highly unlikely. I guess if we got up over Sydney then the other harder game against Saints we might be approaching full strength again and on a roll. If we snuck in, with form and fit first graders who knows.

And all of this colors who we may play this week. If Hendo is 75% does he come back? Or Kruze? Or Robbo? Or Touhy? And Warnock a chance to come straight in from suspension. (According to the CFC website last updated last week, Kruze was a week, Touhy a week and Hendo to be assessed. Everyone else was 2 or 3 weeks, Robbo isnt even on the list).

Because lose to the Tigers and the season is pretty much over, if Nth Freo and Saints all won we could not bridge a 2 game and percentage deficit with only 4 games to go. So as it was Saturday it will most likely be for the remaining games until we lose one.

As a footnote, who would have had Sydney and Adel 1 and 2 this late in the season when they picked their 8 pre-season. Reminds me of 97 98 when Adelaide snuck in because there really wasnt anyone that looked head and shoulders above. I still cant imagine a Syd v Adel grand final, surely Coll and Hawks would end up in the GF?

Interesting selection dilemnas coming up, as usually happens when stop gap players perform and the players they replaced become available again.

We are still a small chance at finals, but its a slim one. We really needed Richmond to get up over Nth.

But assuming we can beat Richmond, Nth would beat Melb, Saints beat Bulldogs and Freo beat Port (although could go either way) we are no closer next week to what we are now and a week closer to running out of time.

The week after we have top of the ladder Sydney. If we could win that, then at least Freo have a derby and likely to lose and saints have pies and likely to lose but Nth have bulldogs so we would still be a game and percentage behind them. And lets be realistic, unless we have a number of our players back in 2 weeks (actually back this week with a week under their belts) we wont be much chance of beating Sydney.

And then the week after that, Judd still not back, Essendon have North and might beat them although I doubt it but the Saints have Melb so they would remain only a game behind us but Adel have Freo which might get us a buffer over them.

Point being, its so very tight for 8th that to really be any show at all we would have to win every game from now on including the return bout against StKilda. Not impossible but highly unlikely. I guess if we got up over Sydney then the other harder game against Saints we might be approaching full strength again and on a roll. If we snuck in, with form and fit first graders who knows.

And all of this colors who we may play this week. If Hendo is 75% does he come back? Or Kruze? Or Robbo? Or Touhy? And Warnock a chance to come straight in from suspension. (According to the CFC website last updated last week, Kruze was a week, Touhy a week and Hendo to be assessed. Everyone else was 2 or 3 weeks, Robbo isnt even on the list).

Because lose to the Tigers and the season is pretty much over, if Nth Freo and Saints all won we could not bridge a 2 game and percentage deficit with only 4 games to go. So as it was Saturday it will most likely be for the remaining games until we lose one.

As a footnote, who would have had Sydney and Adel 1 and 2 this late in the season when they picked their 8 pre-season. Reminds me of 97 98 when Adelaide snuck in because there really wasnt anyone that looked head and shoulders above. I still cant imagine a Syd v Adel grand final, surely Coll and Hawks would end up in the GF?

40yo... it's tighter than you think.. Essendon and Geelong have real tough draws and could quite conceivably each only win 2 more games for the season. I did a ladder predictor and actually had North finishing 6th, with StKilda 7th, and Carlton and Geelong 8/9th with the decider by % (I put in 2 losses Sydney, StKilda)... Freo with their shocking form away from home plus couple with one of their home games playing the Weagles makes it a little tougher for them..

In a perfect world I foresee Essendon only winning 1 of their remaining games and Geelong only 2, could quite easily see 4-5teams finish on 12 wins with % the decider!

Basically sure we may not come closer into the 8 this weekend with a win over richmond, but we need to ensure we 1. WIN, 2. We get some %

I did. Well sort of.
Outside the obvious teams in, Melbourne, GWS, GC, Port Adelaide, Brisbane, Richmond, North and the Bulldogs, the teams with the least injuries were always going to do well.

Im flying over for my first game at the G ! & first time to see the boys in Vic , really looking forward to the crowd ! always 80% shockers or weagles over here , so being our home game will it be more of a blues crowd ? & should be 70 thou + crowd also ???
booked back in Feb , so was keen to see all the big guns , but thats life ... whats the go with kreuz ? sounds like Robbo will be back , tuohy as well ?

cheers !

Really hope you have a good time and the boys can win for you, Enjoy..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did Duigan do enough to keep his spot?

I'm not convinced, but we do lack a general down back with Laidler out. And he's a favourite of the coaches.

B: Duigan Jamison McInnes
HB: Yarran Watson Gibbs
C: Scotland Mclean Collins
HF: Garlett Thornton Armfield
F: Betts Casboult Russell
R: Warnock Carrazzo Murphy

I/C: Bell Curnow Bower Sub: Joseph

Bower gives us some flexibility with McInnes able to play forward.

In: Warnock
Out: Dale

Robinson in for Russell if he comes up.

Did Duigan do enough to keep his spot?

I'm not convinced, but we do lack a general down back with Laidler out. And he's a favourite of the coaches.

B: Duigan Jamison McInnes
HB: Yarran Watson Gibbs
C: Scotland Mclean Collins
HF: Garlett Thornton Armfield
F: Betts Casboult Russell
R: Warnock Carrazzo Murphy

I/C: Bell Curnow Bower Sub: Joseph

Bower gives us some flexibility with McInnes able to play forward.

In: Warnock
Out: Dale

Robinson in for Russell if he comes up.

+1.

Too hard to pick a team until we know the injury count for the week. If Henderson returns then, one of Casbault or Thornton is going to miss out, and if Warnock comes straight in, which I expect, then someone else has to go as well. If Kreuzer comes in as well, then both the Bolt and Thornton will end up back in the reserves I suspect.

If Richmond can't beat us on Saturday night, then they never will.
Pretty much agree with the thoughts of everyone thus far - Warnock is a must to come in but I like the idea of keeping a reasonably settled side for a change.

Massive man cruch on Tom Bell. He just has to play for the remainder of the year.

Pretty much agree with the thoughts of everyone thus far - Warnock is a must to come in but I like the idea of keeping a reasonably settled side for a change.

Massive man cruch on Tom Bell. He just has to play for the remainder of the year.

Crutch or Crush

We have some very talented "top 22" players on the cusp. If right they have to come in.
Bell is a lock though. Warnock would seem a lock unless Kreuzer related to Lazarus. Dale (experience) and Bower first 2 out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back