AFL Autopsy RND 18: Essington crapped on by the Cats

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah happy to skip finals this year. Got put back in the box a bit tonight.

This is our first proper spanking under Brad…we will know this week how different our coach is compared to the past couple on how the team is handled on the track this week. And how we respond to the Dogs.

Yeah happy to skip finals this year. Got put back in the box a bit tonight.

This is our first proper spanking under Brad…we will know this week how different our coach is compared to the past couple on how the team is handled on the track this week. And how we respond to the Dogs.
Bring the mouthguards you reckon?

That was a hard game to watch tonight.
Geelong just ran through us.

I wonder if we had a full strength team this would have been any different?
Geelong at the centre were just so overwhelming.

I’ll get a round to watching the replay but assuming the midfield stood up? The small forwards stopped the Cats defence from walking the ball from end to end?
Ben McKay is needed to stop that tonight? The leaders helped stem the flow and control the game back?
Our forward line is gelling nicely and no need for more option as the ones in the seniors are doing a viable job?

**** this club.!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They had 18 of last year’s prem side in for first time this season. They’re now second best team in it and I’d say close to best. And we had an off night.
So we did better than Sydney in last year's gf?
That's what I'm choosing to read into thst

I’ll get a round to watching the replay but assuming the midfield stood up? The small forwards stopped the Cats defence from walking the ball from end to end?
Ben McKay is needed to stop that tonight? The leaders helped stem the flow and control the game back?
Our forward line is gelling nicely and no need for more option as the ones in the seniors are doing a viable job?

* this club.!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Maybe don't watch it, unless you have a particular interest in how Bryan went as no. 1 ruck, or Perkins getting some CBAs running with Dangerfield.

Poo Wtf GIF
Lore

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Over the years i have been able to absorb countless depressing losses
by consoling myself with thought
that one day they will fuel a great rejoicing.
I am sorry to say that tonite was the first time in 20 years
that i did not take the smashing with the team
i couldnt watch anymore after the 3rd quarter.
I now believe that it is very likely
i will not live to see another Bombers premiership.
I am very sad and heart broken.
Welcome to bigfooty. Have you considered a platinum membership? It's the best deal in town

We won centre clearance

They probably had better players not playing than us (Esava, Bews, Danger for a half, Guthrie, Tuohy ect)

It is interesting. We held our own against Port, even Collingwood but Cats have repeatedly blown us off the Park. They seem to match up on us extremely well in every position whether at the G or the Cattery.

I honestly don't think 1 player actually beat their direct opponent. Many had their worst game for the season.

With their big powerful midfield, why didn't Stringer start in the middle? Again, they put Perkins to the sword on Dangerfield. We are killing Perks career, he is NOT a midfielder IMO. He is best forward of centre.

The elephant in the room is our contested marking. We don't even look like remotely taking one. Even with Phillips/Draper we are below AFL standard in this area. Watched Moore mark everything today for the Pies, something we need to look at.

IDK, the mauling happens too often against Cats to be an aberration. Hopefully Scott can identify some much needed hardness at trade/draft time.

Bad loss

Good marker of where Essendon is at.

Lacks physicality, can outscore a team in an open game but struggles in high impact games. Parish, Merret, Hobbs has same problem as Parish, Merrett, Sheil. It’s just too small physically.

Lots of bad panicked usage. The class between Essendons SFs and other forward entry players vs Geelongs (Stengle, Myers ect) was glaring.

Used the ball poorly, lost physical contest and the scoreboard reflected that.

All my adult life, I have known only Essington. That familiar resignation. The warm blanket of knowing hope is a mirage, and strength fleeting.

I've been lost without that feeling for much of the year. The Brad Scott era. So much system. You can trust this team.

But ahhh.... there it is again. Warmth, assurance. Eyelids getting droopy now. Time for the dark space where no dreams live. "I never really left", the shadows smile. Whatever it takes. Big preseason ahead. Time to hit the draft. Promising kids. Baby bombers redux. Hope, it springs eternal. Sleep now. shhhh.

Probably sums up where we’re at as a club. Getting smacked by sides likely to play deep into September, more consistent (albeit with the odd ****up) performances against the middle of the road sides.

Another couple of years, a few more cracks at the first round of the draft, a few more preseasons refining the game plan are all required before we’re going to be a side other clubs start to fear.

Geelong are just licking their lips all week when we’re coming up. They run out with 100% confidence. We on the other hand are rattled before the ball even bounces.

Men vs boys is the only way to describe it. Physically, mentally.

Unfortunately the other team that does this to us looms next week. Feels like time for us to play the dogs back into finals contention.

To get done badly on this horrendous ground, by an extremely experienced Geelong playing for keeps doesn't surprise - nor does it tell us much about Brad Scott Essendon - yet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back