AFL Toast RND 17: Win Against The Cold Pies

Remove this Banner Ad

Think the performances against WBD, GWS and pies x 2 even against Carlton was pretty solid and is so different to last years team

Going to be very interesting id no injuries how Heppell gets back in next week

Id assume either Cox or Hind (and a likely sub for Heppell)

Good performances from Shiel, Caldwell, Zerrett, HJ and Mckay good and bad

Pies were rip for the picking, no Cox or Elliott among others. Wasn’t a great win but we just needed to beat the Pies. I’m still scared from last weeks loss to get overly happy about were we are at. Jeez still a lot to fix up but at least it’s good to see a win with heaps of improvement still in the group. Got to keep getting games in Caddy.

3139b04dcbf8cfa88c1a9b9d7b8fb975.jpg

Passed the test

You could tell this meant a lot to them - and they stood up. Hard at it all night.

Aside from the obvious notables:
Caddy with the reach. That was an exciting performance.
Duz keeping Daicos to 43% effective.
Jones is running down players on the wing.
Shiel returning with a clutch 2nd half and 8 tackles.

This is the edge we need to see each week. Forget the skill errors, we will always have them. The effort was impressive.

Huge 8 point win for making finals.

Pies were rip for the picking, no Cox or Elliott among others. Wasn’t a great win but we just needed to beat the Pies. I’m still scared from last weeks loss to get overly happy about were we are at. Jeez still a lot to fix up but at least it’s good to see a win with heaps of improvement still in the group. Got to keep getting games in Caddy.
The score flattered them. The numbers were miles in our favour.

Could, and should have, been a 6+ goal win.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some notes from me:

I think we play our best football when we play tempo. Controlled aggression. Teams like Geelong and Sydney in particular have denied us this. The Shiel change was a masterstroke for this. Another experienced head in the guts allowing us to control the tempo of the game.
Our back 6 has an issue. It feels like we do 95% of the stuff well but something every week let's us down. Tonight it was goal line defence.
Our forward pressure looked a lot better without Hind.

Cox meh, I’m not to worried about him but Elliot always has something special for us. On the flip side I always think we contain degoey pretty well.

Some notes from me:

I think we play our best football when we play tempo. Controlled aggression. Teams like Geelong and Sydney in particular have denied us this. The Shiel change was a masterstroke for this. Another experienced head in the guts allowing us to control the tempo of the game.
Our back 6 has an issue. It feels like we do 95% of the stuff well but something every week let's us down. Tonight it was goal line defence.
and Menzie

Ben McKay. Loved his hands tonight.

Some notes from me:

You'd (I'd) think a bit of speed in the forward line to create pressure I.e. something I'd like to think hind could do
Would help, but it doesn't seem to be his fortè
Which is definitely something we've missed in the game since tippa
Gresham plays to tall to be that man so, who can? I can't really see it in our vfl so maybe something we need to trade for

and Menzie
He and Gresham are just too similar
You'd (I'd) think a bit of speed in the forward line to create pressure I.e. something I'd like to think hind could do
Would help, but it doesn't seem to be his fortè
Which is definitely something we've missed in the game since tippa
Gresham plays to tall to be that man so, who can? I can't really see it in our vfl so maybe something we need to trade for
I thought our pressure tonight was the best it's been for a while tbh.

Watching Harrison the last two weeks has brought a tear to my eye. Especially today he is unlocking his potential.
Someone mentioned the health of our list this time of year - helps getting this guy playing as he provides something others don't with that marking and running power.

He and Gresham are just too similar

I thought our pressure tonight was the best it's been for a while tbh.
Across the ground absolutely. A game like tonight made me think Caldwell and Durham could start to eek some browlow points from merrett.
Just a thought.

Some notes from me:

I think the switch from resting ruck to Caddy was a much bigger factor in our improved forward pressure than Hind being sub.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back