AFL Autopsy RND 22: Loss

Remove this Banner Ad

Setters instead of Hobbs would have made all the difference v Rowell...who knew? Oh that's right. Us
So you would have ran setterfeild on him all game? Hobbs played forward with small patches on Rowell. Which honestly Hobbs competed hard.

By saying this you are not replacing Hobbs with setterfeild your actually replacing one of parish, durham, Caldwell, Shiel or Merrett in the middle.

It's limbo because we are too scared to be shit.

No coach is going to come in and gut the list (which is needed). They will back themselves to change players, at the end of the day they are coaches. You cant blame them.

But when you are a team of average players, they will always return to that. You get the out of the box performances every now and then so you think there is change, improvement, but then it reverts to what it really is, average. Same thing the other way.
The failure is either not identifying that it's average or deluding yourself that it is improvement.

Everyone is too scared to be bad, to waste the prime of someone like a Merrett. So they chase.
People get seduced by Draper forward, because he kicked 3, almost forgetting the poor forward craft and IQ of his other moments, and they think, "if he could do this every week". But he can't, he never will.
People applaud the McGrath rundown, ignoring the many other instances including shortly preceding that play where he is shrugged off with absolute ease.

We know how to fix this, prime access to high end talent. No matter how it's obtained. Until we get game changers into this club we will be stuck in average and go no where.

It's not human nature to be great. It's human nature to survive, to be average and do what you have to do to get by. That is normal. When you have something good happen, it's the special people that can stay focused and keep paying attention to detail, working to get better and not being satisfied with what they have accomplished.

Nick Saban
I think you meant to say the board will not hire a coach that will gut the list and if they did the faceless men of the Essendon football club who sit in their ivory towers at various locations around the CBD would have them removed.
Will also add that unlike other clubs who have been stuck in the middle of the pack bouncing around between 8th and 14th we have nothing to show from the one year we did end up with 3 top 10 picks .

mac andrew had kicked 4 goals in his entire career prior to tonight, yet kicks 4 against us, is there anything more essendon than letting a spud have his best game?
Nah, he is going to be a superstar.

Wish our recruiters would see this type of talent.

What is his contract? I would be asking questions.

So you would have ran setterfeild on him all game? Hobbs played forward with small patches on Rowell. Which honestly Hobbs competed hard.

By saying this you are not replacing Hobbs with setterfeild your actually replacing one of parish, durham, Caldwell, Shiel or Merrett in the middle.

Not on him as such, but setters blocking and body position at stoppage is something we've lacked and Hobbs certainly dosent bring it. Everyone else ball hunts

Not on him as such, but setters blocking and body position at stoppage is something we've lacked and Hobbs certainly dosent bring it. Everyone else ball hunts
I don’t disagree with that, but there can only be so many mids on at any time. If we carry more mids in the 22 we are forced to play them out of position. Setterfeild doesn’t give us anything outside the stoppage.

If we picked our best 22 players it would look different to our best team.

Setters instead of Hobbs would have made all the difference v Rowell...who knew? Oh that's right. Us
Yet we absolutely dominated them in the last quarter . The only thing that is "oh right that's us " is once again we could not convert the opportunities we created .

Rowell was great in the fact he dominated in close but also had the speed to spread from the stoppage but he also had 8 turnovers , 6 clangers and went at 35.7% kicking efficiency. Setterfield and Hobbs may have made a difference but personally I do not think Rowell was in the top 5 issues.

Despite losing the hit outs and the stoppage clearances it did not hurt us on the scoreboard.
Goals from CB Ess 2.2 GC 0.1
Goals from SC Ess 5.8 GC 6.6
Goals from turnover Ess 5.8 GC 6.6

The issue which has been an underlying one all season is we do not get enough out of the opportunities we create . 19 inside 50 in the last quarter for 1.9 plus a few others we just turned over. That was the game.

Draper coping it as the whipping boy for losing two contested marks in the last, but people forgetting Bryan also giving up two contested marks to Witts was also a huge reason we lost.

Bryan overall played fine and Draper at least showed some improvement in his forward craft.

Overall the way we played the last quarter wasn’t bad, we continued to attack we held it in our forward half but couldn’t finish the work.

our ladder position is just about where most of us had us pinned, if everything went right we could finish as high as 6th if it didn’t, out of the finals. I still think this season is a step in the right direction, and next year we will be even younger. Long term this loss gets us closer to the top of the draft, which is what we really need.

I really like Archie Roberts his hard nosed approach and especially his tackling as a smaller guy has me excited. We have found one there.

Cox is copping it here but Andrew’s didn’t kick any on him right? And Jackson only kicked two. They are pretty tough match ups for any player. I still think there’s a lot to work on there. He won’t be the tough inside player but has shown some slick hands inside and can play a multiple of positions. As he builds his body he could be anything. Only 22

Caddy looks the part, his hands get to the highest point and his ground level stuff is also great. What a find. I’ll eat my hat if he stays healthy and doesn’t make it to an a grade forward

Caldwell Durham have been huge developments. Been along time since we have seen this level of toughness inside.

Hobbs again showed he is only a midfielder, not a forward. I think posters need to realise you pick a team to win games not your best 22 players.

Other than Merrett we dont really rely on any players over 26. We get a free swipe at kako which is a player of need, and a pick in front of him. Another building year incoming and I’m ready for the ride. Go bombers
Go Re watch the game and you will see why he’s copping it.

Yet we absolutely dominated them in the last quarter . The only thing that is "oh right that's us " is once again we could not convert the opportunities we created .

Rowell was great in the fact he dominated in close but also had the speed to spread from the stoppage but he also had 8 turnovers , 6 clangers and went at 35.7% kicking efficiency. Setterfield and Hobbs may have made a difference but personally I do not think Rowell was in the top 5 issues.

Despite losing the hit outs and the stoppage clearances it did not hurt us on the scoreboard.
Goals from CB Ess 2.2 GC 0.1
Goals from SC Ess 5.8 GC 6.6
Goals from turnover Ess 5.8 GC 6.6

The issue which has been an underlying one all season is we do not get enough out of the opportunities we create . 19 inside 50 in the last quarter for 1.9 plus a few others we just turned over. That was the game.

We didn't dominate them in the last due to stoppage dominance, it was only due to them setting up stupidly so they couldn't get the ball out and it kept pinging back in. I mean kicking 9 behinds in a row kinda stops the ball going back to the middle for a stoppage yeh?

I don’t disagree with that, but there can only be so many mids on at any time. If we carry more mids in the 22 we are forced to play them out of position. Setterfeild doesn’t give us anything outside the stoppage.

If we picked our best 22 players it would look different to our best team.

Caldwell and Durham are guys who can offer outside the stoppage, reckon you can make it work if you need to

This one broke me I reckon.

I'll be here for the lols with posters but I won't be watching Essendon again this year.

Then next year.

Independence Day Hello GIF

We didn't dominate them in the last due to stoppage dominance, it was only due to them setting up stupidly so they couldn't get the ball out and it kept pinging back in. I mean kicking 9 behinds in a row kinda stops the ball going back to the middle for a stoppage yeh?
We did not lose the center bounce or get scored on from there. Center clearance was 17-10 our way so chances are if we scored a couple of goals and the ball actually did go back to the middle we would have been okay. They did not kick a goal from center clearance.
The total clearance in the last quarter was 8/7 our way and Rowell only had 1 clearance for the quarter. So no we did not dominated them but we got it back to even terms .
Would have been great to put some brake on Rowell but our average skill level and deficiencies in our forward group cost us that game as it did the last time we played them. Anyway that is my take.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Draper coping it as the whipping boy for losing two contested marks in the last, but people forgetting Bryan also giving up two contested marks to Witts was also a huge reason we lost.

Bryan overall played fine and Draper at least showed some improvement in his forward craft.

Overall the way we played the last quarter wasn’t bad, we continued to attack we held it in our forward half but couldn’t finish the work.

our ladder position is just about where most of us had us pinned, if everything went right we could finish as high as 6th if it didn’t, out of the finals. I still think this season is a step in the right direction, and next year we will be even younger. Long term this loss gets us closer to the top of the draft, which is what we really need.

I really like Archie Roberts his hard nosed approach and especially his tackling as a smaller guy has me excited. We have found one there.

Cox is copping it here but Andrew’s didn’t kick any on him right? And Jackson only kicked two. They are pretty tough match ups for any player. I still think there’s a lot to work on there. He won’t be the tough inside player but has shown some slick hands inside and can play a multiple of positions. As he builds his body he could be anything. Only 22

Caddy looks the part, his hands get to the highest point and his ground level stuff is also great. What a find. I’ll eat my hat if he stays healthy and doesn’t make it to an a grade forward

Caldwell Durham have been huge developments. Been along time since we have seen this level of toughness inside.

Hobbs again showed he is only a midfielder, not a forward. I think posters need to realise you pick a team to win games not your best 22 players.

Other than Merrett we dont really rely on any players over 26. We get a free swipe at kako which is a player of need, and a pick in front of him. Another building year incoming and I’m ready for the ride. Go bombers
Cox is copping it because he does not compete hard enough all the time. Lack of confidence in his body is part of it but he does not always go when he has to . He may come good in time in the same way Davey will but it is not an unfair criticism.

Caldwell and Durham are guys who can offer outside the stoppage, reckon you can make it work if you
I don’t disagree maybe moving calders back forward and Durham to wing helps us even out our team, it also hurts the development of two 23 year old mids who are finally giving us toughness and 2 way footy inside. Does playing setterfeild help us win against gold coast? Maybe.
What’s more important to beat gold coast or develop our future midfield. Some fans want it both ways

This one broke me I reckon.

I'll be here for the lols with posters but I won't be watching Essendon again this year.

Then next year.

Independence Day Hello GIF
Will go the the VFL next Sunday but Friday night is out for me had enough. Then I will be in Sydney for the last 2 NRL rounds. Go Panthers :)

We did not lose the center bounce or get scored on from there. Center clearance was 17-10 our way so chances are if we scored a couple of goals and the ball actually did go back to the middle we would have been okay. They did not kick a goal from center clearance.
The total clearance in the last quarter was 8/7 our way and Rowell only had 1 clearance for the quarter. So no we did not dominated them but we got it back to even terms .
Would have been great to put some brake on Rowell but our average skill level and deficiencies in our forward group cost us that game as it did the last time we played them. Anyway that is my take.
In spades. It is our main issue, small forwards with zero impact too.

1723329307793.png

Then add in Stringer and Lagngford as ineffective too.

Then factor in the deplorable turnovers in our forward half. Opposition teams then get a free pass the length of the field. No defence in the competition can defend those turnovers in forward half.

Cox is copping it because he does not compete hard enough all the time. Lack of confidence in his body is part of it but he does not always go when he has to . He may come good in time in the same way Davey will but it is not an unfair criticism.
I’m all for criticism, but there are certain whipping boys that cop it when others don’t. See my Draper Bryan quote.

I don’t disagree maybe moving calders back forward and Durham to wing helps us even out our team, it also hurts the development of two 23 year old mids who are finally giving us toughness and 2 way footy inside. Does playing setterfeild help us win against gold coast? Maybe.
What’s more important to beat gold coast or develop our future midfield. Some fans want it both ways

I'd say we are at a mental point now where winning that game was of most importance. This one will resonate a long time

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Autopsy RND 22: Loss

Remove this Banner Ad

Back