AFL Autopsy Rnd 3: 61 point loss to Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Jackson was really really bad tonight. Don't know who you can hand on heart say deserves to be dropped more with a serious face.
Merrett's outperformed Crowley in all three games and Kommer in the past 2.

My player ratings out of 10 thought id try and make this a weekly thing feel free to have a go yourselves :)
8. Zaharakis, Goddard
7. Z Merrett, Kelly, Ambrose, Dea, Fantasia, Parish, Leunberger
6. Langford, Tipungwuti, Cooney
5. Gwilt, Daniher, Gleeson
4. Brown, Baguley
3. Kommer, Stokes, Hartley, Crowley
2. J Merrett

Positives Zaharakis keeps putting his head over the footy and doing the things that we have been critical of him previously.
Zack Merrett continues to improve every week and really has a go unlike his brother.
Tippa what a revelation ! His ball use is fantastic and didn't give up.
Luenberger battled hard all night and rucked for the majority of the game, liked his effort.
Kelly ,Dea and Hartley stood up tonight and Parish is getting invalueble game time which is going to be great for his developement.
Overall it's always disappointing to lose but the fact that they didn't throw in the towell was good to see.

Last edited:
Dropping Merrett would be a bit of an overreaction I think. In a season where we should be playing younger guys much more than usual, would be very knee jerk to drop him based off this game.

We dropped Smack and he responded with a bag of 6 and would have been back in had he been fit, hopefully Jackson can do something similar.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We've won a game this year and we're three in. Bit early for that.

That said, a similar story will be repeated in plenty of games this year and we're just going to have to tough it out. If there's a positive, at least we stemmed the bleeding somewhat after quarter time.

After round 1 I said 21 left, sorta forgot last week. And I did enjoy last week, but that's the way I'm looking at the season.

Get through this year then start rebuilding my love for the game...
We've won a game this year and we're three in. Bit early for that.

That said, a similar story will be repeated in plenty of games this year and we're just going to have to tough it out. If there's a positive, at least we stemmed the bleeding somewhat after quarter time.

I will still look for positives throughout the year, but when your not fielding your best team and finals are off the table before round 1 looking forward to next year is definitely one of the positives I have at the moment..

Jackson was really really bad tonight. Don't know who you can hand on heart say deserves to be dropped more with a serious face.

Probably more the fact that we can't just drop everyone who has a bad game. He's put in two reasonable to good performances before it, however Crowley has dished up rubbish each week and Kommer just isn't up to it. If you can only drop two, Merrett is the one who survives.

Probably more the fact that we can't just drop everyone who has a bad game. He's put in two reasonable to good performances before it, however Crowley has dished up rubbish each week and Kommer just isn't up to it. If you can only drop two, Merrett is the one who survives.

Crowley wasn't rubbish against Melbourne, that was a solid all team effort, just as tonight was a poor effort.

Tonight was typical for a young side, competitive at times but all undone with one poor quarter, had Crowley kicked that early goal things might have been different but credit to the Power, they had to respond after last week.

Toughed it out. The first quarter was a joke, for both disciplinary and umpiring reasons. Anyway...

Been interstate for 3 of our last 4 games, 2 in stifling conditions, so will be nice to get a run of 3 games at the 'G now, which has the added bonus of Anzac Day not throwing up a short recovery for the following game against **** Carlton.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Autopsy Rnd 3: 61 point loss to Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Back