Preview Rnd 3 - Carlton v Fremantle Sunday 4th April 3.20PM @ Etihad

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This will be a very interesting game and I wouldn’t be surprised to see Freo stick it up us. It’ll say a lot about the direction of the club the statement the players make on the weekend.

I feel we can cover Fisher with Cunningham. Martin is a sad blow. I guess Betts comes in but he’s not a like for like. Really hope OMac gets a start. No better opportunity than the Marvel deck to get his mitts on the ball.

I’ll bet Setterfield stays in, and as others say must go into the clearance work. Otherwise he should be in the medical vest.

So we got beaten by the best team in the comp, maybe best ever, two weeks ago and with less the 5 minutes to go we were less then 1 goal down . Cripps by far BOG at half time .
Last week we played a team that play in a GF 3 years ago and finals last year. It was a ripper of a game and again we did not disgrace ourselves. Im not happy that we lose( I dont think they were honourable loses) but we need to get a grip on reality and stop being so negative,. Ill be disapointed if we are not 3- 2 after the next 3 games and in the 8.

Covid rules are ridiculous. So we are legend lounge members but in spite of 75% for a Freo game we can not have our normal seats on level 2 but have to use Ticketmaster (no reason for this, people are not spaced). Went online at 1 pm and only got level 1 seats offered. After several tries I gave up and accepted that. Then I got an email from the club that we will have no access to our lounge because we are now on level 1 due to Covid rules. This is ridiculous. I don't want to be precious, but after more than 25 years of paying for the most expensive member category and getting nothing last year, I have to put up with this. Why can't reserved members not get their seats? There is NO reason. There is plenty of seats available at 75 %. There is no spacing between people (last week) Do the clubs and the AFL want to lose members? With the team not performing, I am getting close to giving up on spending this money. Might not attend Sunday as I do not like ground level.

Just a follow up. Following an angry email to the club, I was called this morning. They said it was a fault at Ticketmaster that caused level 2 reserved seat members to be seated at level 1. They are going to fix it manually and we will get seats on level 2. Let's hope it is a Ticketmaster **** up and not the club, and if true they are going to be busy correcting this manually over the next couple of days.
We had a general chat about the whole system as there is NO reason why reserved seat members should not just take their normal seats. We scan our tickets and the member information is held by Ticketmaster.
The answer is that a State government bureaucrat has decided that all tickets for all sports events have to be done the same way through these 2 ticket organisations - at least for the rest of the year. The clubs and the AFL are pushing back, as this diminishes the value of reserved seats memberships and adds a lot of potential work for membership departments like in my case. Unfortunately we might see this problem for a long time - the State Government loves inconsistent restrictions and if we have just one new infection they will lock us out anyway.

Last edited:
Just a follow up. Following an angry email to the club, I was called this morning. They said it was a fault at Ticketmaster that caused level 2 reserved seat members to be seated at level 1. They are going to fix it manually and we will get seats on level 2. Let's hope it is a Ticketmaster **** up and not the club, and if true they are going to be busy correcting this manually over the next couple of days.
We the had a general chat about the whole system as there is NO reason why reserved seat members should not just take their normal seats. We scan our tickets and the member information is held by Ticketmaster. There should be no reason for this "loss" of seats.
The answer is, that a State government bureaucrat has decided that all tickets for all sports events have to be done the same way through these 2 ticket organisations for all events - at least for the rest of the year. So reserved seats as we know it The clubs and the AFL are pushing back as this diminishes the value of reserved seats memberships and adds a lot of potential work for membership departments like in my case. We will see what happens, but I have tried the "travel permit"system that does not work and seen many "Covid regulations" that make no sense. So why should it be different in AFL.

Of course its a government initiative, thought that was made abundantly clear throughout the first few rounds. Why would ticketmaster/ticketek or whoever it is want to be doing this when they make no money off of it. I was super presently surprised we didnt have to pay a ticket handling fee when getting out free tickets - so they are probably getting their money from the government in some form.

He’s a shadow of the player he was in his first year. Goes to ground, always looking for his left, no physicality to his game. Not a good defender 1v1 and isn’t hurting the opposition when going forward.

Needs to go back the VFL imo

Not even SOS would have stopped DeGoey and Elliott with that delivery

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This seems to be a continual knock on Willo that has me a little perplexed. 90% of AFL footballers can barely kick on their non dominant and that includes our 2 recent No1 picks in Weiters and Walsh. While clearly had a couple of poor games ( I didn't think he was too bad against the Tigers- people seem fixated on the HTB when gang tackled) his kicking won't be a problem long term.

We had a general chat about the whole system as there is NO reason why reserved seat members should not just take their normal seats. We scan our tickets and the member information is held by Ticketmaster.
The answer is that a State government bureaucrat has decided that all tickets for all sports events have to be done the same way through these 2 ticket organisations - at least for the rest of the year. The clubs and the AFL are pushing back, as this diminishes the value of reserved seats memberships and adds a lot of potential work for membership departments like in my case. Unfortunately we might see this problem for a long time - the State Government loves inconsistent restrictions and if we have just one new infection they will lock us out anyway.
Will you get your special cushion and cup-holder cause I'd be cancelling your membership if not.

Weiters on GuesSEN ...

So we got beaten by the best team in the comp, maybe best ever, two weeks ago and with less the 5 minutes to go we were less then 1 goal down . Cripps by far BOG at half time .
Last week we played a team that play in a GF 3 years ago and finals last year. It was a ripper of a game and again we did not disgrace ourselves. Im not happy that we lose( I dont think they were honourable loses) but we need to get a grip on reality and stop being so negative,. Ill be disapointed if we are not 3- 2 after the next 3 games and in the 8.
This is the problem, people accept defeat. I don’t care if the Tigers are the best side from last year, or if Collingwood nearly won three years ago.
We’ve had years of rebuilding, multiple coaches, fitness people, recruiting people players etc. we’re still miles away on field.
Until we can beat anyone, anywhere, anytime I won’t be happu

end rant

If McGovern plays it will be a farce, he needs to earn his spot. The bloke who averaged 7 touches 3 marks and 0.75 goals a game last year does not deserve an immediate call up.

If JSOS and Eddie are ready bring them in.

Also would hope they rest Casboult who is clearly playing hurt and give McDonald a run, what's the point of signing him if you're not gonna use him in teh specific scenario he was signed up for.

Also need to start being harsh at selection table. That means Williamson would be lucky to play.

If it wasn't bad enough that missing Fisher and Martin is really going to hurt us on field...

It carries the added bonus of giving the coach an opportunity to bring Betts in without question... I really wanted to see who he'd drop/change positions to bring Betts in... would've told us a lot.

Now we'll never know...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Weiters on GuesSEN ...

He really is a beauty.

Freo are in the same boat as us, a bottom side that is looking to rise so it's a crucial game for both side and a loss both clubs should see as a bad loss.

We need to find a way to close the game up. Our games have been open fast flowing games with lots of scoring and that looks pretty but it's not the footy we should be looking to create. We need to find a way to create congestion again and give our defenders a chance. I think that's going to be done by pushing more of our forward behind the ball and that means slowing our ball movement down going forwards. Play our rucks behind the ball and drop our wings into defence as a rule. At stoppages we need to have a plan where we go one on one, get physical and start laying more tackles.

An open game is not going to suit our slower defenders. We saw Plowman exposed badly in defence last week. We know he's slow and has the agility of a much taller player. He's ok when there is no space in the forward line but when it opens up he is identifiably a weak link and the opposition will use that. Weitering isn't quick, he too needs a defensive game plan to play his best footy. He's going to want to play in front and play off his man and intercept and the only way that can happen is if the pressure up the field is strong.

We've been smashed with injuries, that's not a great thing to happen but they are injuries we can somewhat cover for, despite the fact that Fisher and Martin have been two of our best.

Structural wise we have problems. Curnow, Setterfield and Newnes are our wingmen. You want pace and you want good finishing from your wingmen and this group doesn't have that. You can get away a bit by being a defensive wingman and dropping back in the backline and doing your work there but I am not seeing that from this group. Newnes could probably play the defensive wingman role ok and his form has been ok, he covers a lot of ground and gets to contests but the other two don't cut it. It's not a good group.

Our other issue is the third tall defender. Plowman isn't that. Third tall needs to be an attacking intercepting tallish player who has pace and can run both ways. Plowman hasn't got the pace, size and isn't a two way runner. A good third tall is something we are crying out for. Marchbank has done it but his body has let him down badly and his kicking has not always been good. Parks is young and has been good in the VFL practice matches and IMO needs an opportunity soon. He's rated for his intercepting, speed and kicking ability. Sounds on the money to me. That would push Plowman into being a small defender and competing with Williamson who is a quick player who has a very good kick, not sure which one wins out there but I am leaning towards Williamson. Unless we can be defensive enough to support Plowman's play. I think SPS is the other weak link in defence. He hasn't matured mentally yet and is lacking that hard edge. The opposition get through him a fair but up the ground. He's great with ball in hand and in space but under physical pressure he gets exposed. It's frustrating because there is a really good footballer there if his mindset was to change and that's all it is. How to change that mindset, I don't know, we're seeing a lot of good and bad from him each week however it could be all good if it clicks.

Our centre group doesn't seem too bad on paper. It hasn't played much together though. What it lacks is rotations. Some of our forwards need to rotate through there more often. They also need to be able to go one on one and up the pressure more so tactically there is a problem there. Cripps is struggling a bit, Williams is developing a bit there, Walsh is a young guy playing well and Dow is developing and has been a bit up and down so some patience needs to be applied here.

Forward line is a bit of a mess. McKay has been ok but IMO he's a CHF. He's not a big hulking one on one type and not quick enough off the mark for a genuine FF but he can build up a good head of steam and crash packs. We lack tall quick leading targets and those types have been the ones to do well under the new rules. Curnow and McGovern are our two genuine tall quick types but haven't played yet. Silvagni is ok in this area but isn't really a key target. He's a great third tall option through but he's been injured too. Murphy is learning to play as a forward and has been ok. Gibbons has been great and Martin who is elite is injured not. Betts who is a genuine forward hasn't featured yet. Casboult kills us with his lack of speed and poor kicking. So the forward line has been undermanned and has holes.

The penny needs to drop for the coach that there are certain players in the team who if they remain in the team then we're going back to the bottom. He needs to realise that if the young players don't start coming into the side this year in a big way then we are going back down to the bottom. Mediocre has been good enough for too long and we have got into a habit of accepting that as good enough at the selection table for too long. Well that has to change. The coach needs to replace mediocre players with young ones who have shown a bit.

This is how I would go.

B: Williamson Weitering Parks
HB: Saad Jones Docherty
C: Carroll Cripps Newnes
HF: Gibbons McKay Murphy
F: Silvagni McGovern Betts
OB: Pittonett Williams Walsh
IC: Stocker Fogarty Dow Setterfield

Backline

Stocker replaces SPS. Stocker is a big strong physical player who can kick and who doesn't back out of a contest. He's played defence before. He will play a bit on the ball and allow Williams time to rest in the back pocket. Stocker is one we need to develop in the seniors, I can see him shifting more into the midfield and perhaps doing some Tagging, think an Ed Curnow who can kick. Stocker replacing SPS to me is the right choice. Both are similarly skilled, perhaps SPS maybe a little better, I'm not sure but Stocker will fully commit to contests and can go into the middle for times where SPS doesn't offer that. IMO a great way to develop Stocker, harden up the backline and allow for a midfield rotation.

Parks is a real roll the dice selection. He was rated highly when recruited and has killed it in the practice matches. Celling is much higher than Plowman. Plowman has more experience but Parks appears to play taller, is quicker and has those good kicking skills we are looking for. Plowman is one of those senior players who is just mediocre, he's an ordinary player who has been protected by a defensive game plan for many years. He's been belted two weeks in a row and has never offered us anything offensive in that third tall role. It's time we look at fixing this hole and improve in this area and Parks has put his hand up. Worst thing that can happen is Parks gets a few kicked on him that Plowman has the last few week but it's likely we will find improvement here with this change.

Midfield

Carroll looks to have something special about him and he might be one of those rare ready to go types like Walsh. He just reminds me of Walsh in his first year which makes him an automatic selection. He's a natural midfielder and he's quick with a good kick. 15 possessions from Carroll is going to be far more damaging than 15 from Setterfield, Curnow or Newnes. The new rules suite a raw quick kid too. The club rate him, I rate him and he looks ready for a taste. He could develop in the seniors and he could also fix a hole here as well.

Setterfield back into the centre. Setterfield isn't a wingman. He was good around stoppages last season so lets put him in there but not just in a normal role, as a run with player. Setterfield comes in to replace Ed Curnow. Curnow has been a very respected player but he's 31 and mediocre and results matter at the end of the day. Ed Curnow can not influence a game without tagging. That tagging role is a role we should be using to develop our young midfielders. Ed Curnow playing in the team is either hurting our player development or hurting the quality of our side. This switch may not change much but it makes us younger which is important.

Forward

McGovern at full forward. All the best footy McGovern has played is as a full forward. He doesn't play other roles well and that's ok. I remember Essendon trying Matthew Lloyd at CHF and he was useless. McGovern knows how to be the focal point and he proven that but he has looked lost in other roles up forward. IMO this will be the making of him. He's got genuine speed off the mark and he can lead and mark but most of all he can kick straight. With the new rules he's going to do very well. Silvagni as the other leading target, the third tall makes so much sense because he's so good at it. He's smart and has the ability to play 3rd option forward which not all do as seen with MCGovern. McKay at CHF, he's a danger when he gets on the move because he can really wind up some speed.

Betts has to come in, he's a genuine small forward. If not Betts then Owies comes in. If Owies comes in then Gibbons plays a bit closer to home and Owies pushes a bit further up. I see Owies as being more of a half forward who get up the field a bit. I'd like to see Gibbons and Murphy used to relieve the midfielders at times.

The new rules have made the game more open and suite midfielders like Murphy and Gibbons more than they did last season. So we should see them allowing the mids to have a spell.

What I think will happen

We won't drop Curnow or Plowman. Teague has shown that he's not very flexible with his ideas or his desire to play young players. Probably more likely to see Dow dropped which would be a big balls up from the coach. We need to coach to favour the youth over middle aged and older mediocre players. We need him to be daring at take risks and show that he does not get stuck with his own opinions which can be difficult as a coach. The team I have listed and players I have left out are very much the changes that need to be made for this team to move forward. I just get the feeling we will make changes and go around in circles a bit, we're about to see whether we have the right coach and whether he's gutsy enough to change things up, drop a few favorites for some young players and get the team going forward again development wise. Not knowing when to give players another chance is something I feel Teague lacks, he's been slow to make changes in the past both selection wise and onfield so there is a worry there.

This is the problem, people accept defeat. I don’t care if the Tigers are the best side from last year, or if Collingwood nearly won three years ago.
We’ve had years of rebuilding, multiple coaches, fitness people, recruiting people players etc. we’re still miles away on field.
Until we can beat anyone, anywhere, anytime I won’t be happu

end rant
We are not miles away from the field at all.
Not sure you'll ever be happy as a supporter than . I dont know any team that that can beat anyone anywhere anytime - maybe a top team for a few years such as the current tigers.
Enjoy the ride I say.

Weiters on GuesSEN ...

Jeez he speaks well. He was always very straight even in his rookie year, but now he's comfortable to elaborate and go into some details while still remaining statesmanlike.

Do not know what to do with Levi. He meant to be in team to assist in ruck but no hit outs won and pathetic kicking for goals again, i cannot talk myself into keeping him in side on ruck help as his selling point. Rather just go with Pittonet on his own and if he needs help grab Liam Jones to assist and Plowman play key defence for 5 minutes. Sooner Marchbank back the better but that not for some time.

Other than that, Betts and Silvagni in for injured Fisher and Martin.
It's the easiest selection call we have: drop him.

We are not miles away from the field at all.
Not sure you'll ever be happy as a supporter than . I dont know any team that that can beat anyone anywhere anytime - maybe a top team for a few years such as the current tigers.
Enjoy the ride I say.
We’re miles away, mentally, physically and in terms of skill.
There’s not a side in the competition that wouldn’t pencil us in as a win at the start of the season

A lot of the comments on Carroll in the reserves reports have been very promising but come with a proviso that he's still learning the system and sometimes struggles with it.

Sounds perfect; lets get him in and have a crack before our completely f***** up system and structure does too much damage to the way he plays... maybe having someone not follow the gameplay orders will be of benefit...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back