Preview Rnd 3 - Carlton v Fremantle Sunday 4th April 3.20PM @ Etihad

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Out: Martin, Fisher, Casboult, Williamson
In: McDonald, Betts, McGovern, Parks

I'd like to get rid of Curnow and Murphy but that's not likely.
Yep I’d like to see Willo out and Parks in for him as we need to start playing a 3rd tall interceptor like every other club, sick of seeing Jones caught out trying to do both lock down and intercept as he doesn’t have the aptitude to do both like some others, Parks also has the ability to play tall or small so a direct swap for Willo gains us intercept marking power and loses nothing in terms of leg speed.

JSOS comes in for Martin that’s a no brainer, Betts for Fisher and O Mac replaces an underdone Casboult, I think we give Dow one more chance against the likes of Cerra and Brayshaw but if he doesn’t match them for intensity and possession winning ability he goes back to the VFL.

Setters needs to be back in the guts where he was the 2nd most improved player in the comp last year, Fogarty needs to be getting more midfield and centre bounce time especially against the Freo mids where he can use his stronger body and tackle pressure, he’s wasted as a full time forward and has huge midfield chops with a beautiful pair of hands in close and very good leg speed.

If Cripps is being blocked from the contest like the last 2 weeks he needs some help from his other mids or he needs to just be moved forward we can not afford to have him negated in the middle as it leaves us 1 down, Pendles just blocked him and then pushed off and used his superior leg speed to get to the ball which was far to easy, expect to see more of the same with Mundy if something isn’t done.

We need to have at least 2 players with a very quick first 2-3 steps at the centre bounce otherwise we will get blown away out of the centre again, watch the difference Martin made when he went into the middle in the second half with his burst speed and tackle pressure, 1 of either Cripps, Setters or even JSOS and the other 2 with burst speed, Walsh, Williams, Fogarty, Gibbons, Cunners or Stocker and rotate it constantly to keep them fresh and hungry. Oh and get rid of Barker and Stanton as they have no ****in idea.

Last edited:
It's the easiest selection call we have: drop him.
It is easy for you and me but match selection guys have not shown any gumption to make the call for so long , I have no real expectation they will now either.
I always pray he makes their call right but then I see what I see early in game v Pies, go down other end and goal to opposition and soul destroying two goal turn around to start a game and you already got this horrible feeling that sets the tone for the night at a really low bar for our team. I so wish to see something else than see it happen so many times before and dread what it does to the team.

It is easy for you and me but match selection guys have not shown any gumption to make the call for so long , I have no real expectation they will now either.
I always pray he makes their call right but then I see what I see early in game v Pies, go down other end and goal to opposition and soul destroying two goal turn around to start a game and you already got this horrible feeling that sets the tone for the night at a really low bar for our team. I so wish to see something else than see it happen so many times before and dread what it does to the team.
McDonald has done more in a half than Levi has managed across two games, plus the added benefit that Oscar isn't trying to play with a wooden leg.

Levi's not kicking goals, he's doing SFA when he chops out in the ruck, he's clearly not 100% and favouring one leg because the other one isn't alright.

McDonald has done more in a half than Levi has managed across two games, plus the added benefit that Oscar isn't trying to play with a wooden leg.

Levi's not kicking goals, he's doing SFA when he chops out in the ruck, he's clearly not 100% and favouring one leg because the other one isn't alright.
I really wish we had more compelling options than Oscar McDonald right now. He will have to do, but really stings to see these seem to be our only options with the current injury status of talls.

Last edited:
I really wish we had more compelling options that Oscar McDonald right now. He will have to do, but really stings to see these seem to be our only options with the current injury status of talls.
Play to what you have make it a passing and ground ball game not an aerial bomb fest -- freo have no talls left either so this week will be a good test -- freo away at marvel with plenty missing also and due to circumstances we finally won't be playing marvel to tall.. we should win comfortably ..

Play to what you have make it a passing and ground ball game not an aerial bomb fest -- freo have no talls left either so this week will be a good test -- freo away at marvel with plenty missing also and due to circumstances we finally won't be playing marvel to tall.. we should win comfortably ..
We should win comfortably but you got more confidence in coaching staff adapting to play to a short forward line than I do. They seem rusted on to live and die by the ethos to go tall, no matter what. It would be refreshing to see them improvise their thinking in there. There is no doubt if we were to simply play with McKay and Jack as only real marking options forward and the rest smalls it could easily work. Will they though? History of way they pick our forward line does not suggest it likely.

Casboult has lost his ability of Clunking big marks/ bringing it to ground for smalls. The game is too fast for him being injured needs to be rested until fully fit and able to fly at the packs . If Oscar is the replacement then so be it but we can not play Casboult until he is fit he's a liability when ball hits the ground as he can't chase.

We should win comfortably but you got more confidence in coaching staff adapting to play to a short forward line than I do. They seem rusted on to live and die by the ethos to go tall, no matter what. It would be refreshing to see them improvise their thinking in there. There is no doubt if we were to simply play with McKay and Jack as only real marking options forward and the rest smalls it could easily work. Will they though? History of way they pick our forward line does not suggest it likely.
Yes whether it's coaching or players we have delivering the ball I'm not sure but last week looked like players happy to pump it in and make it someone else's problem.. and how none of our smalls couldn't find a crumb or tackle and force a stoppage begs another question ..
I'm less confident next week - Suns seem to be higher quality by foot and holding structure behind ball well I can see that game being a real problem with our injuries

So we got beaten by the best team in the comp, maybe best ever, two weeks ago and with less the 5 minutes to go we were less then 1 goal down . Cripps by far BOG at half time .
Last week we played a team that play in a GF 3 years ago and finals last year. It was a ripper of a game and again we did not disgrace ourselves. Im not happy that we lose( I dont think they were honourable loses) but we need to get a grip on reality and stop being so negative,. Ill be disapointed if we are not 3- 2 after the next 3 games and in the 8.
Yea but this week we are playing a really hungry and rejuvenated Freo team who look like they will make the 8. Next week we play Gold Coast away and they are on the up. Week after that we play Port who look like premiership material. We have all the excuses in the world for why we get beaten every week... don't stop at round 2 :thumbsu:

Plow had a mare, but some supporters expect our defenders to win all 1v1 contests, with no accountability on the midfield group who are the very reason for the ball travelling into the opposition forward line.

:thumbsu:

As mentioned earlier no defender on the planet could have defended some of the clean ball coming into our backline last week. Turnovers up the ground were a reason and the mids were never going to stop a turnover if the opposition was clean with their skills plus the Pies were very clean if they won out of the middle vs our rushed hacks forward most of the time.

Not defending Plow specifically as there were other parts of his game that were off but when the ball comes in that quick and precise the back six are on a hiding to nothing.

Our midfield as a whole was schooled on decision making and execution.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really wish we had more compelling options that Oscar McDonald right now. He will have to do, but really stings to see these seem to be our only options with the current injury status of talls.
I'd feel comfortable with him coming in, with what I've seen him produce in the navy blue. I think you need to wipe some of his performances with the Dees from the memory and assess on 2021 output, in which he is clearly our best 22.

So was Thomas in his first 3 years - McGovern has the class to win a match and actually knows how to lead to take a mark and is a better than decent kick from 40-50 - if he is wrong I'll settle for his wrongnesss. SOj/Cuningham/Kennedy are otjhr equally capable forward mid rotations - Eddie can hold his own - lots and lots of alternatives.

Of all our forwards, (excluding Curnow the younger), McGovern is the one who is most likely to put a defence to the sword in a 10-15 minute period. Has great hands, is a pretty good kick for goal and when on; nobody has better vision or is more creative in the F50. So for all the frustrations that come with players like Gov, you play them as often as you can.

McGovern will win the odd game of footy off his own boot. The problem is that it's the odd game. I don't doubt his effort or desire but most want more consistent output than we see at the moment.

You give them some licence but you surround them with effort driven, consistent players (to cover for the off-days) and hope they develop greater consistency themselves.

So we got beaten by the best team in the comp, maybe best ever, two weeks ago and with less the 5 minutes to go we were less then 1 goal down . Cripps by far BOG at half time .
Last week we played a team that play in a GF 3 years ago and finals last year. It was a ripper of a game and again we did not disgrace ourselves. Im not happy that we lose( I dont think they were honourable loses) but we need to get a grip on reality and stop being so negative,. Ill be disapointed if we are not 3- 2 after the next 3 games and in the 8.

Think its more a case of how we lost not so much who to. It certainly appears that while we have been told the run on's of last year had been addressed and wouldn't happen they still did and the skill errors and poor decision making should have improved but appears not to have.

Add in what seems to be a still largely dis functioning forward line and we ask ourselves what has changed/improved from last year?

Some have pointed to us scoring more but virtually every team is and I'd say that's down to the rule changes, not us being better at it.

It's round 3 and everyone has high expectations of finally getting off to a fast start with good recruits, more developed players both physically and in terms of skills and better execution of Teague's game plan however we haven't seen that yet.

Not unexpected that many are critical of what they've seen so far.

Still early so ever hopeful of improvement but I get the emotion.

Yes whether it's coaching or players we have delivering the ball I'm not sure but last week looked like players happy to pump it in and make it someone else's problem.. and how none of our smalls couldn't find a crumb or tackle and force a stoppage begs another question ..
I'm less confident next week - Suns seem to be higher quality by foot and holding structure behind ball well I can see that game being a real problem with our injuries
We got to win the next two at least for coaching staff to gain any semblance of knowing what they are doing with our list.

Of all our forwards, (excluding Curnow the younger), McGovern is the one who is most likely to put a defence to the sword in a 10-15 minute period. Has great hands, is a pretty good kick for goal and when on; nobody has better vision or is more creative in the F50. So for all the frustrations that come with players like Gov, you play them as often as you can.

McGovern will win the odd game of footy off his own boot. The problem is that it's the odd game. I don't doubt his effort or desire but most want more consistent output than we see at the moment.

You give them some licence but you surround them with effort driven, consistent players (to cover for the off-days) and hope they develop greater consistency themselves.

People expect star players to be stars for every minute of the game - this is a false expectation.

What everyone else does to allow the star player(s) to impact on the game is more important than what a star player does.

Every team needs match winners- but before match winners can actually do the extraordinary- most of the team has to be able to execute on the more ordinary.

Carlton lost the game against Richmind because of 'ordinary' missed shots at goal. Carlton lost the game against Collingwood because too many failed at 'ordinary' missed tackles and lack of 'ordinary' awareness regarding covering their opponent.

If every player executes the basics well more than they dont - star players are then able to actually perform when they get an opportunity to do the special stuff - the team creates the opportunity by doing the team things well - the star executes on teh opportunity created by the rest of the team.

It doesn't help McGovern's case though that he hasn't been fit enough to play. It doesn't help Harry's case that he is actually a lazy player as far as repeat effort and ground coverage goes. It doesn't help Cripps if other mids can't or don't block for him or position themselves to advantage. It doesn't help Weitering intercept mark if midfield pressure is lacking and forward entries are bullet passes to leading forwards into vacant space tha hasn't been covered...

the team's lack of doing teh 'ordinary' basics opens up tejh opportunity for opposiiton team's stars to do their thing.

Takes excellent coaching and repeat drilling to get a team playing to its best and therefore able to actually use the factor X type player to advantage.

my2c fwiw

The only major tweak I think we need is more focus on applying ferocious defensive pressure.

Not only does that obviously make us harder to score against, but it leads to more turnovers which gives us easier scoring opportunities. When you cause a turnover through defensive acts, the opposition is out of position and it makes transitioning and a shot on goal easier to come by than, for example, transitioning to our F50 from a D50 stoppage where the opposition is set up behind the ball.

Posted an article in the Media thread...we are dead last for pressure and tackling differential which is damning. It's not good enough for a team supposedly aiming high and for finals this year.

Watched some other games like Adelaide v Geelong in round 1 where the Geelong players had no time or space, the Adelaide players were just constantly at them which led to a young, wooden spoon Adelaide side beating an experienced Grand Finalist. And we all know Richmond have basically built their dominance on their defensive pressure and hard running.

The only major tweak I think we need is more focus on applying ferocious defensive pressure.

Not only does that obviously make us harder to score against, but it leads to more turnovers which gives us easier scoring opportunities. When you cause a turnover through defensive acts, the opposition is out of position and it makes transitioning and a shot on goal easier to come by than, for example, transitioning to our F50 from a D50 stoppage where the opposition is set up behind the ball.

Posted an article in the Media thread...we are dead last for pressure and tackling differential which is damning. It's not good enough for a team supposedly aiming high and for finals this year.

Watched some other games like Adelaide v Geelong in round 1 where the Geelong players had no time or space, the Adelaide players were just constantly at them which led to a young, wooden spoon Adelaide side beating an experienced Grand Finalist. And we all know Richmond have basically built their dominance on their defensive pressure and hard running.
Its been a weakness of Carlton sides for many years .
We made some improvements in this area last year mainly in fwd50 retention but our midfield is still seriously letting us down on the defensive side .
Considering its been an emphasis of both bolton (we want to be defined by pressure) and Teague the message or methods are just not sinking in or working .
For mine it seems this group needs to go through the adversity of embarrassing losses or continued losing before the penny drops and we dig in on the hard stuff .

Completely over watching Carlton teams down hill skiing .
Im not expecting lasting change until match committee gets much tougher at the selection table on older senior players .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back