Autopsy Rnd 8 Blues get the 4 points but .... yuck

Who were your 5 best players in Round 8 vs North Melbourne?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Newnes did one bad fk up.... other that that he was one of our best... great game. i laugh at anyone in this thread who drops him for anyone against the hawks
Totally agree he is hard as a cats head.
Some of the grunt work he does is going unnoticed.
Kicked 2 goals, I can only remember that 1 mistake.

Just watched the replay.
Few observations:
1) Umpiring was horrible and really worked against us. 2nd deliberate given against Docherty was outrageous.
2) Calum Moore was a disgrace- didn't even attempt a 2nd effort in contests and would have to have the AFL investigating match fixing by Carlton just for selecting him.
I didn't even know he was on the list- why was he picked up???
Lack of talent is one thing lack of effort is disgraceful.
3) Newnes was good up forward but made a costly turnover down back (so all up he gave us one goal).
He seems to offer something up forward but seems more of a liability down back in which case have to think as mentioned last week better he be played as a defensive forward/wingman rather than defender.
4)We really missed MacKay and McGovern(2nd half).
5) You can't substitute genuine talent.
Walsh, Setterfield, Sps a cut above the rest.
6) Thought Pittonet more than held his own against one of the better ruckmen in the competition.
7) Inaccurate goalkicking cost us AGAIN- Martin's let us down when he has normally been reliable.
8) Still should've won by 4 goals - disappointing in that sense.
More to come😄

Cripps is in an unusual position at the moment. Lots of comparison to Bont as a contemporary but, he is slipping in the analogy. His next progression as a leader is going to be how he responds to tactics of the opposition. Anderson took him out today with niggle and persistence and it’s not the first time it has happened. We have a very nice system on ball and it is, finally, more that ruck tip it to Cripps.

Today was an ideal opportunity to drag a shorter Anderson forward and win contests where it hurts the most. He gets in the physical contest and often dragged mentally and physically out of the game. He is the most infringed player in the game therefore, go forward and earn a scrag goal at least once a game. Capitalise on the growth of Setters and the like and become more versatile. Diesel didn’t like coming off the ball but, it won him a Normie.

Just watched the replay.
Few observations:
1) Umpiring was horrible and really worked against us. 2nd deliberate given against Docherty was outrageous.
2) Calum Moore was a disgrace- didn't even attempt a 2nd effort in contests and would have to have the AFL investigating match fixing by Carlton just for selecting him.
I didn't even know he was on the list- why was he picked up???
Lack of talent is one thing lack of effort is disgraceful.
3) Newnes was good up forward but made a costly turnover down back (so all up he gave us one goal).
He seems to offer something up forward but seems more of a liability down back in which case have to think as mentioned last week better he be played as a defensive forward/wingman rather than defender.
4)We really missed MacKay and McGovern(2nd half).
5) You can't substitute genuine talent.
Walsh, Setterfield, Sps a cut above the rest.
6) Thought Pittonet more than held his own against one of the better ruckmen in the competition.
7) Inaccurate goalkicking cost us AGAIN- Martin's let us down when he has normally been reliable.
8) Still should've won by 4 goals - disappointing in that sense.
More to come
Please tell me you didn't watch the game originally? I'm just wondering who in their right mind would watch a replay of that game?

Sent from my CPH1879 using Tapatalk

Cripps is in an unusual position at the moment. Lots of comparison to Bont as a contemporary but, he is slipping in the analogy. His next progression as a leader is going to be how he responds to tactics of the opposition. Anderson took him out today with niggle and persistence and it’s not the first time it has happened. We have a very nice system on ball and it is, finally, more that ruck tip it to Cripps.

Today was an ideal opportunity to drag a shorter Anderson forward and win contests where it hurts the most. He gets in the physical contest and often dragged mentally and physically out of the game. He is the most infringed player in the game therefore, go forward and earn a scrag goal at least once a game. Capitalise on the growth of Setters and the like and become more versatile. Diesel didn’t like coming off the ball but, it won him a Normie.
It's good though that we don't need him to dominate or even be good to win games. So when he does turn it on, watch out.

Sent from my CPH1879 using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cripps could lift and maybe some other players could help him a bit more.

One thing I'd say though is teagues game plan promotes role and structure over individual star performances.

So maybe in the past where we would just tap it to cripps or let him chase the ball all over the ground, we now mix it up and tap to others like setterfield, and keep our structure around the ground. Teague wants an even spread and to keep the opposition guessing.

Like walsh racking up possessions last year but this year doesn't because he's on a wing and has to hold his shape not just ball hunt.

Cripps could lift and maybe some other players could help him a bit more.

One thing I'd say though is teagues game plan promotes role and structure over individual star performances.

So maybe in the past where we would just tap it to cripps or let him chase the ball all over the ground, we now mix it up and tap to others like setterfield, and keep our structure around the ground. Teague wants an even spread and to keep the opposition guessing.

Like walsh racking up possessions last year but this year doesn't because he's on a wing and has to hold his shape not just ball hunt.
That’s why I think Cripps needs to fit a role more, even if that means slipping forward. Don’t need him to star, just be places that hurt the opposition within the structure. Agreed though, I love the Teague structure and next man up mentality. We are now value adding to the team, not looking for saviours.

I noticed that as well. With the talls we have, ground ball should be his go.

We barely had any talls today. I wouldn't be surprised if he was instructed to launch at the ball and try to take some marks cause Moore and Cas were really struggling. Gov as well and then didn't play the second half.

That’s why I think Cripps needs to fit a role more, even if that means slipping forward. Don’t need him to star, just be places that hurt the opposition within the structure. Agreed though, I love the Teague structure and next man up mentality. We are now value adding to the team, not looking for saviours.

Yep it's what we needed...a contribution and clear role for all 22 players. It will help us to cover players injured...system > relying on stars.

No doubt Cripps has been down pretty much this whole year really...I think some due to our new game plan and structures, some his own issues to work through. He was really good in the 1st quarter on Polec, but not so against Anderson. Definitely not easy though when big, aggressive guys like Anderson & Steele are constantly pushing and bodying him out away from the ball. I do think he might be labouring a bit form an injury as well.

On the structure thing, while negatively affecting Cripps' game, it has enhanced Setterfield & Kennedy's...and given us a better chance to win in general.

Didn't see this on the coverage...check this out Anderson fully tackling him without the ball:

The ump had a good view of it too.
Should have also got a free when Anderson put his studs up into him.

This happens a dozen times a game and umps need to pay every one, alternative is Crippa will be broken and the game loses a jet. No other sport allows a less capable opponent to physically and illegally take a quality player out of the game, except that crazy Italian MMA Crossfit thing. Crippa would dominate that too btw.

Again the only defence is club champion. That isn't a defence for a player remaining in the side.

He isn't playing an inside role. Ok that's fine. But he doesn't have the pace or the skillset to play an outside role and I believe having Fisher, LoB is worth it.

If his name wasn't Marc Murphy it wouldn't be a debate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Rnd 8 Blues get the 4 points but .... yuck

Back