Rolling Flag Contenders 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Some people enjoy this thing called ‘fun.’

You should give it a go sometime!
Others like being accurate.

Collingwood were favourites for the flag at the start of the season and 3rd favourites for the flag as recently as two weeks ago.

If Collingwood miss the finals, should they be regarded as 2024 flag contenders?

Essendon 2001
Port 2002
Port 2003
St Kilda 2004
West Coast 2005
Adelaide 2006
Geelong 2008
St Kilda 2009
Collingwood 2011
Hawthorn 2012
Port 2014
Freo 2015
Richmond 2018
Geelong 2019
Melbourne 2022

All sides who were absolutely flying halfway through the year (some even later), none won the flag. 9 of them missed the grand final altogether.

Anyone who is declaring it a certainty right now has rocks in their head.
We weren't flying half way through 2012. Didn't get into the top 4 until Round 16

Were Richmond contenders who failed miserably as well?

Because I've had Carlton supporters tell me every team in the competition is a contender through to the point they are no longer in contention.

Richmond finished 13th last season and looked to have a downward trajectory. I never had them as a contender for 2024.

Who are your 2024 contenders?
I think it's a matter of qualifying and then bringing your best game, or bringing a fresh updated gamestyle that takes everyone by surprise.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So when you look back on 2024, how many different contenders have there been so far?

Also noting it is possible for a number of teams outside of your chosen 'current 4 contenders' to contend.
Your fixation with this is quite strange.

It is easy to be accurate with hindsight, but I am not interested in playing that game you have invented for yourself.

Interesting.

You've played it right up until the point you've realised 'hang on, Fadge actually has a point here'...
I've always thought that you have a point within the logic of your specific way of viewing things. I just think that the way you view this issue is antithetical to the spirit of sports debating. It's clear to me that your mind will not be changed on the matter, so I have decided to stop wasting my time. There is really no need to be so belligerent at all times and on all topics.

I've always thought that you have a point within the logic of your specific way of viewing things. I just think that the way you view this issue is antithetical to the spirit of sports debating. It's clear to me that your mind will not be changed on the matter, so I have decided to stop wasting my time. There is really no need to be so belligerent at all times and on all topics.
All good.

The bottom line is that you've highlighted Collingwood as a 2024 contender, who have got a big job ahead of them if they are to contend.

You've highlighted another four teams, of which some may contend and some may not.

And excluded another 6 or so teams, any of whom could finish the season strongly to contend (in the same way GWS did in 2023).

If you're changing your list of contenders on a week by week basis, I'm sure there have been others over the course of the season. I doubt you had Brisbane and Geelong as contenders 3 weeks ago.

Using this construct, you're likely to have a list of half the teams in the competition as premiership contenders throughout the 2024 season, which clearly cannot be logical or accurate.

All good.

The bottom line is that you've highlighted Collingwood as a 2024 contender, who have got a big job ahead of them if they are to contend.

You've highlighted another four teams, of which some may contend and some may not.

And excluded another 6 or so teams, any of whom could finish the season strongly to contend (in the same way GWS did in 2023).

If you're changing your list of contenders on a week by week basis, I'm sure there have been others over the course of the season. I doubt you had Brisbane and Geelong as contenders 3 weeks ago.

Using this construct, you're likely to have a list of half the teams in the competition as premiership contenders throughout the 2024 season, which clearly cannot be logical or accurate.

My lists of contenders were logical and accurate at the time of the assessment given the information that was available at that time.

I would've thought a thread called 'Rolling Flag Contenders 2024' might require a bit of week by week analysis. I'd much prefer that over the pseudo-intellectual ego-stroking pursuit of ensuring accuracy with the gift of hindsight.

Exactly.

We won't know who the contenders are until we see who contends.

All teams are doing now is giving themselves the opportunity to position themselves to contend.
You're a fruit loop.
You have actually said that there are 12 teams playing for 2nd place in another thread. Technically, that means that there are no contenders for this year.
You ticked off Sydney as this year's winner already.

You're a fruit loop.
You have actually said that there are 12 teams playing for 2nd place in another thread. Technically, that means that there are no contenders for this year.
You ticked off Sydney as this year's winner already.
Do you have a point?

Suggest the fact we still have a dozen teams fighting it out for 7 finals positions indicates we have little to no idea about who will contend, and who won't...

Do you have a point?

Suggest the fact we still have a dozen teams fighting it out for 7 finals positions indicates we have little to no idea about who will contend, and who won't...
My point - you been banging on about contending all year, yet you've anointed the Swans as the premiers. End of discussion surely for you

Remove this Banner Ad

Rolling Flag Contenders 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back