Player Watch Rookie Pick #45 (2015) - Dan Houston

Remove this Banner Ad

No, he's not lying right now at all. As it stands, he's not leaving.

But if a team comes late and meets his contractual demands and Port's trade demands, do you think Dan is going to say no?

That's why this has a lot of twists and turns left. The trade period hasn't even opened yet!

Port remain confident re: Perryman.
Port have been into Luko for a while - they have more than enough cap space to make it work. And he's been interested in leaving the Suns ever since Dimma put him down back early in the season.
Weren't the club somewhat confident when crunch time was coming on Merrett deciding when he was a RFA?

Weren't the club somewhat confident when crunch time was coming on Merrett deciding when he was a RFA?

They made a big offer to Merrett but we're never in the box seat or anything of that nature.

Much more confident on the Perryman deal.

Why would he agreed to go on a radio talk show when he knows the first question he'll be asked is if he's staying? In this situation radio silence says more than words ever could.

I have no idea about how their media obligations work. Does he have a separate contract with the radio station too? For a certain amount of segments?

Does the club make him go on there? Is it even up to him?

Not sure.

Has a player ever publicly come out in public and said "I'm going to leave the club even though I'm contracted"?

He's literally contractually obligated to say he's not leaving. The media know what they're doing by asking him constantly

Behind closed doors is another matter, and there is enough smoke to suggest fire!

If Houston is still at Port in 2025 i'll believe him

Its happened before, but it hasnt happened whilst the team is still active

From what he said on AA he’s at the club next year.
Maybe the club offered him a job arranging Flowers for 200k a year.
I read him as a genuine type who stands by his word.
I’d be surprised if he left after hearing that.
Maybe his Mrs replaces Jarrod Walsh.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

So the list is building, and as we keep adding and trading in players, including maybe upping Houston, or anttracting Luko, our salary cap will start to get squeezed.

I reckon some of the good teams like Sydney, Geelong and maybe Brisbane, all get to a point where they say ‘hey if we want to win flags, we need more elite players - let’s all take a bit of a cut to get this person in’ - Geelong obviously help players with businesses and getting income streams in other ways too but that’s different.

I’d be interested what our club and leaders will do over the next 5 years… I think our current cash management is pretty sound. But I wonder if we can attract a big fish or two, and whether our players would take pay cuts to get them in?

No, he's not lying right now at all. As it stands, he's not leaving.

But if a team comes late and meets his contractual demands and Port's trade demands, do you think Dan is going to say no?

That's why this has a lot of twists and turns left. The trade period hasn't even opened yet!

Port remain confident re: Perryman.
Port have been into Luko for a while - they have more than enough cap space to make it work. And he's been interested in leaving the Suns ever since Dimma put him down back early in the season.
Silly seasons starting earlier than usual.
You gotta love it..

ifbacn.gif

Seems like Luko would only happen if Houston leaves and we get the picks. We wouldn't have enough to get it over the line otherwise surely? Unless they trade out another future first.

Future 1st with our current list is likely somewhere between 16-22.

Maybe but first I’d get Luko to commit to Port first and then give Gold Coast the choice of being reasonable or spending a couple of million dollars on a reserves player for the next 2 years.

It's better for the Suns that he leaves rather than stays.

Future 1st with our current list is likely somewhere between 16-22.

Maybe but first I’d get Luko to commit to Port first and then give Gold Coast the choice of being reasonable or spending a couple of million dollars on a reserves player for the next 2 years.

It's better for the Suns that he leaves rather than stays.
I would be happy to give our future first. Argue for a second or early third back. I don’t think lukosious would nominate port unless we were certain of making a deal happen. We would have already chatted to gc behind the scenes and have an expectation prior to it getting to that point.

So the list is building, and as we keep adding and trading in players, including maybe upping Houston, or anttracting Luko, our salary cap will start to get squeezed.

I reckon some of the good teams like Sydney, Geelong and maybe Brisbane, all get to a point where they say ‘hey if we want to win flags, we need more elite players - let’s all take a bit of a cut to get this person in’ - Geelong obviously help players with businesses and getting income streams in other ways too but that’s different.

I’d be interested what our club and leaders will do over the next 5 years… I think our current cash management is pretty sound. But I wonder if we can attract a big fish or two, and whether our players would take pay cuts to get them in?
Illegal, is the word you're looking for. Cheat club

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dan Houston himself in his own words in the media: "I'm not leaving next year"

Everyone else: not convinced.
If you're convinced by anything a player says in silly season while their club is still in the finals, you're naive.

I reckon he said a bit more than he needed to, it’s more convincing than the usual stuff you hear from players that are leaving or deciding whether to leave or not.

But didn’t Chad Wingard say something similar before getting traded to Hawthorn?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Think he is staying, something has changed in last few days. Might just give it another year and try again perhaps.

Possibly after the tribunal and V/AFL treatment plus last night being snubbed when selected as an AA then yeah.. might be like, screw you lot. Could also be that if it is or was his partner, she's changed mind or found ground to stay in Adelaide.

Sometimes certain events bring people closer. Maybe that showdown and all that happened helped Dan positively within the club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Rookie Pick #45 (2015) - Dan Houston

Remove this Banner Ad

Back