Player Watch Rookie Pick #45 (2015) - Dan Houston

Remove this Banner Ad

Remember when we traded the most talented bloke to walk through the club doors since Robbie Gray for Duursma (already gone) and Burton (fringe player who might be on the way out) and half this board thought it was some fantastic list management coup?

At the time Burton was very much a highly rated player around the league. And he was borderline elite particularly in the 2021 season. That being said, it's not as if Wingard turned on the magic after he left Port either.

Ken is defs gone if the club is willing to move on his pea-hearted lovelies.

He's been out of Ken's good books for a while I'm pretty certain of that.

I remember after a loss (can't remember which one lol), or might have been half time, all the players walking off and Rozee looking at the ground dejected, Dan turning around and shouting at the whole group. It forced Rozee to turn around and be vocal.

He's 27 and our most consistent player, why wasn't he floated for the captaincy? At least for a couple years while Rozee matured. I'll admit i don't know shit about the dynamic of the group behind closed doors

Last edited:
That would mean Hinkley and his gold passes are up because Burton was always flashing it on Thursdays.

Paul Newman El Golpe GIF by Filmin

Wasn't Kozzie a first rounder? and under contract himself.. that ain't gonna happen
For an AA defender in career best form? i think we are underselling Dan then. Melbourne first pick will be around 13-15 range, after academy picks/FS picks, it's very logical if we can give them 2nd and 3rd round picks back

For an AA defender in career best form? i think we are underselling Dan then. Melbourne first pick will be around 15 range, after academy picks/FS picks, it's very logical.
I rate Pickett though & he's young, we have a dearth of quality small forwards aside from Rioli who could pull the pin at any moment.

The metrics are completely different for small forwards as opposed to the ball coming to you as a half back flanker so you've gotta be realistic, Pickett could be & should be a future AA himself with his skillset.

The scenario would be Pickett & some later pick lotto that's the reality.

Last edited:
I rate Pickett though & he's young, we have a dearth of quality small forwards aside from Rioli who could pull the pin at any moment.

The metrics are completely different for small forwards as opposed to the ball coming to you as a half back flanker so you've gotta be realistic, Pickett could be & should be a future AA himself with his skillset.

The scenario would be Pickett & some later pick lotto that's the reality.
Your scenario is the more practical scenario, however clubs have overpaid before and if Melbourne are more interested in Houston we can try to milk the deal a bit. Maybe package someone else or some other club getting involved in the deal but we need to get back in the draft this year. We haven't had a first round pick for the past few years.

Need to get innovative.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If I’m Melbourne I’m not trading Houston for Pickett
If I was Port, I’m not trading Houston. There are other players I’ll look at moving out before Houston such as Burton and perhaps Sinn.

Can’t even believe that Port might consider trading him out for draft picks which says our recent recruiting and drafting has not bore fruit.

If I was Port, I’m not trading Houston. There are other players I’ll look at moving out before Houston such as Burton and perhaps Sinn.

Can’t even believe that Port might consider trading him out for draft picks which says our recent recruiting and drafting has not bore fruit.
Sinn still can be anything, we paid too much for him to sell him for peanuts at the moment.

So are we already conceding that Houston will request a trade at the end of the year already?
All the scribes in the employ of “Big Footy” seem to think it’s a probable done deal. Dan is our most consistent and reliable player and to me our most honest. I’m prepared to trust Dan’s assurance that he has not spoken to any other clubs.
For over a decade the Melbourne press have not paid him any interest at all and all of sudden he’s hot property. I guess they see the huge possibility of using his surname in catchy headlines.
Seriously, since day one I have appreciated his rare talents and I expect Dan to be a one club man.

At the time Burton was very much a highly rated player around the league. And he was borderline elite particularly in the 2021 season. That being said, it's not as if Wingard turned on the magic after he left Port either.

So maybe a year under a new coach might be a good thing?

Is he out this year or happy to see the back of Ken and stay - he’s contracted for a bit longer.

Can understand some players who look at the game and think, am I really going to win a flag with Ken. There must be a cohort of younger players who see Ken as a dud.

Kozzy is statistically better off at the MCG than the Adelaide oval in disposals, goal assists and shots on goal.

I just don't think he will be as valuable playing most of his games at Adelaide oval as say Houston or someone with a penetrating kick or a contested bull.

If I’m Melbourne I’m not trading Houston for Pickett
There's always more to it than just a swap of players. Both players have to want to be part of the deal and Port may offer Picket a deal he can't refuse...

I think we're going hard for Motlop but obviously if Pickett became a realistic option you'd be all in. I think we need both tbh.

For an AA defender in career best form? i think we are underselling Dan then. Melbourne first pick will be around 13-15 range, after academy picks/FS picks, it's very logical if we can give them 2nd and 3rd round picks back
Twomey saying Houston is worth 2 first rounders, his words on AFL.com

Remember when we traded the most talented bloke to walk through the club doors since Robbie Gray for Duursma (already gone) and Burton (fringe player who might be on the way out) and half this board thought it was some fantastic list management coup?
It was fantastic.

The fact that our coach's are so shit at development they turned two a-grade potential players in to a battler and a leaver doesn't change the fact that the trade at the time was excellent.

Not sure whats going on, but have there ever been 2 bigger dipsh1ts than these two?

View attachment 2057580
They're dorks and cringey at times but actually get things right a lot. They do their homework and report without bias (especially Twomey) which is way more than you can say for 99% of the compromised AFL media personalities.

You would think that both Melbourne and Hawthorn would be jumping at the bit to grab him.

Other Melbourne clubs would want him but those two in particular are in and around their premiership window and it would really help them in many ways.

So maybe a year under a new coach might be a good thing?

Is he out this year or happy to see the back of Ken and stay - he’s contracted for a bit longer.

Can understand some players who look at the game and think, am I really going to win a flag with Ken. There must be a cohort of younger players who see Ken as a dud.

Burton is contracted for next year but I expect Port to try to move him on during the trade period. Not exactly a well liked fellow down at Alberton.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Rookie Pick #45 (2015) - Dan Houston

Remove this Banner Ad

Back