Player Watch Rookie Pick #45 (2015) - Dan Houston

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you know why this is?

Because we need picks.
Because we traded them last year.
Because we needed to plug the holes in our list.
Because we thought we were tilting for a flag.

Someone has to be held accountable and it may as well be Dan Houston.

Last edited:
At the time Burton was very much a highly rated player around the league. And he was borderline elite particularly in the 2021 season. That being said, it's not as if Wingard turned on the magic after he left Port either.

He's been out of Ken's good books for a while I'm pretty certain of that.
Wingard averaged 20 and 1 2019-2021 that is elite output.

Would like to get Burton to 100 club games, sits at 92 at the minute. Off spring will be alright, Abernathy and Burton pre broken leg…

Wingard averaged 20 and 1 2019-2021 that is elite output.

Would like to get Burton to 100 club games, sits at 92 at the minute. Off spring will be alright, Abernathy and Burton pre broken leg…
AFL tables showing Burton has played 103 for us. I think wiki lagging.

Last edited:
By who?

How did he go from a consistent performer to battler almost all in one off-season? His best is extremely good.

He peaked in 2021. Been on a steady decline since.

I'm not going to elaborate on the character/personal side of things outside of what I've already said.

His 2022 wasn't at his best but the drop off between 2022 and 2023 was huge.

He was still top 10 in our B&F in 2022.

Peaked in the second half of 2021.
Being top 10 in a B&F where the team missed the top 8 after starting 0-5 with another 4 loss streak at the end of the year is nothing to write home about.

Peaked in the second half of 2021.
Being top 10 in a B&F where the team missed the top 8 after starting 0-5 with another 4 loss streak at the end of the year is nothing to write home about.
Its not amazing but I guess I'm just saying...

2020: Awesome
2021: Awesome
2022: Solid
2023: Gold pass recipient
2024: Gold pass recipient

If we can't a suitor in the off-season, can he not be swung forward? Junior footy was played there. His pissant efforts in defence have become a liability.

Burton certainly didn’t peak in the 2021 PF.
There were signs before way before then that he fitted the downhill skier mould. He’s a cruiser with a neat kick. Don’t expect anything else when the chips are down.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I meant Houston.

Oh, my bad.

Houston potentially leaving has nothing to do with footy. So I don't think the coach is going to make much of a difference in this instance.

His long term GF is vic based so maybe there is a some pull there. Would hate to see him go for some picks we won't develop into someone as good as him

His pissant efforts in defence have become a liability.

Steve Brule GIF by MOODMAN

Twomey saying Houston is worth 2 first rounders, his words on AFL.com
We are underselling Houston if we don't get more than just a top 10 pick. He is the best kick in the AFL in AA form. Certainly worth more than Kozzi. I am looking at Adelaides pick for Oliver if that trade gets done plus a late first or early 2nd round pick or exchange of 2nd round draft picks.

When it comes to Shai Bolton GC has apparently offered 2 first rounders for so why won't Houston be worth that? Bolton is a flashy player at best.

We are underselling Houston if we don't get more than just a top 10 pick. He is the best kick in the AFL in AA form. Certainly worth more than Kozzi. I am looking at Adelaides pick for Oliver if that trade gets done plus a late first or early 2nd round pick or exchange of 2nd round draft picks.

When it comes to Shai Bolton GC has apparently offered 2 first rounders for so why won't Houston be worth that? Bolton is a flashy player at best.
All of the above, plus still with 4 years on a contract

So................. absolutely we demand two first rounders - as a non-negotiable minimum.

AND we pay not one cent of his remaining contract. That's 100% on the club that trades him in.

He is not being pushed out, I am guessing his long term Vic partner wants to go home to be near her mun & dad and probable time to start a family.
So you don't know. OK.

It just had that smell - the club has form after all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Rookie Pick #45 (2015) - Dan Houston

Remove this Banner Ad

Back