Player Watch Rookie Pick #45 (2015) - Dan Houston

Remove this Banner Ad

I just get the feeling that a couple of intelligent Melbourne teams will be lining up for his services and rightfully so.

He is up there as the premier seagull, quarterback in the league.
He's a good leader.
He is a super consistent player.
He rarely misses games.
23 possies a game from the backline.
Has excellent timing with his runs out of the back line.
So effective he's been tagged in games.
He's one of the best kicks in the comp and is 13th overall just under half a click a game for metres gained.
You are getting 500 good metres from Dan every game.
For backmen, seems second in scoring involvements with the Saints seagull, Jack Sinclair.
37th overall with Champion Data and can hit top 5 or 10 when in hot form.
Has kicked a game winning goal after the siren from 50.
Good tackle numbers for a defender. Dunno if that translates into the games.
He is almost, almost an extra midfielder type from back.

I still think two 1st rounders is the go.
I just don't want Kenny spending them.

So you don't know. OK.

It just had that smell - the club has form after all.

He's not getting pushed out. The Club want to keep him but also recognise his wish to get back to Victoria.

Two first round picks will get it done.

Melbourne will not trade Pickett.

They will trade 2 first round picks.

It will be their current 9 and Crows pick they get for Oliver or next seasons 1st.

If it’s next years pick Port death ride that and trade our pick in to this draft.

It will be their current 9 and Crows pick they get for Oliver or next seasons 1st.

If it’s next years pick Port death ride that and trade our pick in to this draft.
Do you think we could finesse this future 1st into Dyson Sharp? I'd be down for that.

We are underselling Houston if we don't get more than just a top 10 pick. He is the best kick in the AFL in AA form. Certainly worth more than Kozzi. I am looking at Adelaides pick for Oliver if that trade gets done plus a late first or early 2nd round pick or exchange of 2nd round draft picks.

When it comes to Shai Bolton GC has apparently offered 2 first rounders for so why won't Houston be worth that? Bolton is a flashy player at best.
100%, Dan Houston is the best kick in the AFL let alone our team. He is the only player in our side guaranteed to hit a target when he has the ball. Good luck replacing that.

Remembering when evaluating potential trade value… the Vic Club surcharge / non Vic club discount.

Well, Port also dont want to trade Houston. So if they go as far as putting an offer in front of him while he has 3 years left with us and if we ask for Pickett then I suspect there'll be a serious discussion on it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Port has the upper hand in discussion since Houston is contracted after all, if any Vic clubs want him that much, they must be prepared to cough up a lot. Otherwise, forget it, Houston stays.

Best case scenario, things improve off-field for Houston similar to how Papley wanted to go home and to Carlton for family and personal reasons despite having 4 years left on his contract at the time.

Remember when we traded the most talented bloke to walk through the club doors since Robbie Gray for Duursma (already gone) and Burton (fringe player who might be on the way out) and half this board thought it was some fantastic list management coup?
Ok, and how good has the most talented bloke to walk through the club doors since Robbie Gray been since he left?
Still think we're in front...

Everyone could see Dan Houston's quality from his debut year. I did say to him over lunch one day a few years back that he possessed that rare quality not often found in rookies and that was he played beyond his years. His movement on and off the ball was like someone who had already mastered their craft for 20 years.

If he goes, there is no player who can provide adequate enough cover in his position. What Port need to do is build the team around him, not Butters/Rozee. Make Houston the nucleus of the team, and proper leader of the club.

I don’t want to lose Houston as I don’t think there’s anyone on our list who can replace what he gives us. He’s the second best inside 50 kick in the comp this year, and that important skill is otherwise lacking from the rest of our team. He’s also reliable, consistent and very effective as an intercepting player and a conduit to move the ball out of HB and through the middle of the ground.

Sinn is not Houston.

Maybe Logan Evans can be developed into that type of player, and perhaps the club has confidence that Rome Burgoyne will also help fill that void in the long term if Dan leaves.

If Houston does go, my preference would be to deal with St Kilda and turn his loss into Phillipou or Wanganeen-Milera and a second round pick upgrade. I doubt the Saints would go for that, unless Phillipou or NWM really wanted out.

Pickett would be the dream and solve a major short and longterm weakness in our list, but I can’t see it happening.

Short of the above options, two first rounders needs to be the price - e.g. around pick 10 + 15 value, or a top 6 pick and then a decent second rounder. How we then use those is another issue.

Losing Houston would also make it essential to get a quality player, like Perryman, in as a free agent without compromising the Houston trade value in any way.

He's not getting pushed out. The Club want to keep him but also recognise his wish to get back to Victoria.

Two first round picks will get it done.
I hope people aren’t just basing their views on the fact he’s got a Victorian girlfriend. Dan’s used the term “port for life” in the past couple of months that would be a big turn around.

If he leaves and we get 2 first round picks do we take them both to the draft
Or
Take highest 1 (top 5 🤞) trade other a player.
Or package both to move higher up the draft.
I still believe he will stay but these are things our new coach would need to think about

Or
I still believe he will stay but these are things our new coach would need to think about
If we get a top 5 pick and another first round pick, I wouldn't even mind splitting that top 5 pick into 2 mid first rounders if someone is willing to bite. I don't really think we need midfielders and neither is the midfield group in this draft as elite as JHF, Daicos or Reid.

In a dream scenario, we end up with a Key Forward (Harry Armstrong), Small forward (Joe Berry and Barrett) and a Key Defender/Utility like Matt Whitlock.

Apologies for dreaming.

Or

The difference between the top 5-6 mids in this draft is opinion.

I wouldn't be giving up a late 1st rounder by trading up.

Or
I think we should try to trade them for a fringe player at Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Rookie Pick #45 (2015) - Dan Houston

Remove this Banner Ad

Back