Player Watch Rookie Pick #45 (2015) - Dan Houston

Remove this Banner Ad

Not how it works unfortunately.

I don’t even want him because we’ll have to overpay but if he nominates us it’ll end up being picks only.

Possibly. It depends on whether we can talk Pickett into coming here, we managed to do it with Burton. But if he wants to stay in melb then there’s nothing we can do about it.

Would have to be some good picks though

It will still be disappointing losing Houston. I don't see a player in 2025 immediately offering what he does. I don't see Houston calibre in another player on our list in his position.

It does make it convenient for the football committee to get into the first round of the draft to bolster the 'not good enough list' to help bring success to 'The Hinkley Era'.

You're making an assumption that the culture in place under Koch/Hinkley is a factor in players wanting to return home. However, how many players have left Port in the Koch/Hinkley era to return home compared to the decade prior? I'd suggest the numbers are fairly similar.
Also players leaving after 2-3 years consistently is more an issue that after 10. If he chooses to leave he’s given us everything and good luck to him, it’s not selling out. Every team loses a player along the lines.

He's worth more to us than an inconsistent small forward.
I'm not taking Kozzie for Houston in a straight swap whatsoever

I was gonna post before saying we would be lucky to get 4 and 7 but after tonight that seems about right 😂
If we got Smilie and Draper, they are so talented that they could easily play secondary type roles in the team from the get go. We could use Draper like Melbourne use Caleb Windsor up forward or he could even play on the wing with that pace of his. Smilie could start his AFL journey as the 3rd tall either up forward or down back. Lots of options.
If we get 4 and 7, I'd like to see if we could split that 4 into 2 10-15 picks. Then take Murphy Reid, Harry Armstrong and Joe Berry. Now that would be some draft. #Dr#dreaming

If we get 4 and 7, I'd like to see if we could split that 4 into 2 10-15 picks. Then take Murphy Reid, Harry Armstrong and Joe Berry. Now that would be some draft. #Dr#dreaming

Great minds think alike. I had been floating the same idea myself.

Try and pick up Draper with the 7th pick and then diversify the early pick and grab another mid and a tall. I know Freo has a fair few picks in the first round this year. It just depends on needs and whether the List Management see some gold a bit later in the first round.

Also players leaving after 2-3 years consistently is more an issue that after 10. If he chooses to leave he’s given us everything and good luck to him, it’s not selling out. Every team loses a player along the lines.
Yes un-like the Crows, we have been strong and have limited by the go home factor where we if there are two similiar players, we seem to pick Vic country kids over Melbourne kids.

What ever negative thought we may have about the Club, Player List management & trading is one of our strengths.
Where I am still gob-smacked on how we jagged Rioli & the Hornet in the same trade.

I'm not taking Kozzie for Houston in a straight swap whatsoever

I was gonna post before saying we would be lucky to get 4 and 7 but after tonight that seems about right 😂

We re not getting 4&7

4 & 7 is what you pay for a prime aged Dangerfield. We aren't getting that for Houston. More likely it winds up at 7 and 15 or so

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Swing and a miss
Its really not. The amount of posters that make categorical statements on players value and clubs willingness or otherwise to do something - as though they're facts and they themselves are the list managers playing AFL on PlayStation is always surprising.

None of us know and never will know. We can assume and provide theories but that's all they are.

For example - I have a reasonably good source that stated Pickett would already be in Port colours except for some family stuff that will and could be resolved. Melbourne know this and know he wants to come home eventually. Strike now to get Houston is apparently part of their thinking and is why they've met already.

It could happen. Could also not. Unless you're in those rooms you'll never know.

Last edited:
Its really not. The amount of posters that make categorical statements on players value and clubs willingness or otherwise to do something - as though they're facts and they themselves are the list managers playing AFL on PlayStation is always surprising.

None of us know and never will know. We can assume and provide theories but that's all they are.

For example - I have a reasonably good source that stated Pickett would already be in Port colours except for some family stuff that will and could be resolved. Melbourne know this and know he wants to come home eventually. Strike now to get Houston is apparently part of their thinking and is why they've met already.

It could happen. Could also not. Unless you're in those rooms you'll never know.
Yep Pickett will end up at Port it's just a matter of now or later.

The post you responded to said "unless Pickett actively wants out, he won't be put up for trade". If your source is right then Pickett does actively want out. So the post you responded to would still be correct.

The post you responded to said "unless Pickett actively wants out, he won't be put up for trade". If your source is right then Pickett does actively want out. So the post you responded to would still be correct.
We're playing a bit of wank word bingo but define "actively". He might be ok with being traded but didn't proactively pursue it.

My initial and subsequent posts were more pushing back against the idea that will Melbourne will not trade Pickett.

No one knows that, nor is it grounded in reality.

Swing and a miss for your little gag.

But it sounds like you agree with me. For example, a fair trade for north when JHF requested a trade would have involved one of our top players. But none wanted to leave and we didn’t want to trade them.

If your sources are indeed correct about Pickett (and Houston requests a trade), then let’s get it done baby!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Rookie Pick #45 (2015) - Dan Houston

Remove this Banner Ad

Back