Player Watch Rookie Pick #45 (2015) - Dan Houston

Remove this Banner Ad

My source spoke 1 on 1 with Dan yesterday.
Dan told him he is Port and here to stay.
And like I've said my source has been tied to the club since Russell was playing and today he still takes care of players

Me thinking outside the square thought maybe someone along the line got their attacking defenders mixed up and it was actually Bergman that was considering it …. But I’m just trying to come up with a scenario that explains why there could be so many opinions.

Me thinking outside the square thought maybe someone along the line got their attacking defenders mixed up and it was actually Bergman that was considering it …. But I’m just trying to come up with a scenario that explains why there could be so many opinions.
He is saying Bergman isn't leaving either.

If we lose Houston and keep Hinkley, Chewie is going to need a new passport and a safe house in Alaska.
He can find the Ports hats whilst he's there.

Swing and a miss for your little gag.

But it sounds like you agree with me. For example, a fair trade for north when JHF requested a trade would have involved one of our top players. But none wanted to leave and we didn’t want to trade them.

If your sources are indeed correct about Pickett (and Houston requests a trade), then let’s get it done baby!!!
Yep

If it's Houston out, Pickett in - plus some kind of arrangement of steak knives, I'd probably be ok with it...

If I was a list manager ;)

Yep

If it's Houston out, Pickett in - plus some kind of arrangement of steak knives, I'd probably be ok with it...

If I was a list manager ;)

Houston has consistently been rated top 10 players in the league by Champion. He is an absolute star, and would get so much more attention if he was in Vic.

Pickett is good, but he is incredibly inconsistent. He's shown no signs of being able to string together multiple good games together. We all see the flashes of brilliance and think "wow, what a star" - but do we really want to trade one of our most consistent players over the last 5 years for a flash in the pan half forward that will set the world alight for moments, but go missing the next week?

Houston has consistently been rated top 10 players in the league by Champion. He is an absolute star, and would get so much more attention if he was in Vic.

Pickett is good, but he is incredibly inconsistent. He's shown no signs of being able to string together multiple good games together. We all see the flashes of brilliance and think "wow, what a star" - but do we really want to trade one of our most consistent players over the last 5 years for a flash in the pan half forward that will set the world alight for moments, but go missing the next week?

My steak knives would be another first round pick

My steak knives would be another first round pick
While that would be nice I am not sure it’s realistic. Pickett is the type that we absolutely need and any steak knives on top of a straight swap would be great. The battle is getting him to request a trade though and I am not sure we would offer him enough to get him to do so.

While that would be nice I am not sure it’s realistic. Pickett is the type that we absolutely need and any steak knives on top of a straight swap would be great. The battle is getting him to request a trade though and I am not sure we would offer him enough to get him to do so.

This isn't directed at you, but all I hear here is bitching about how we fold in trade negotiations.

So let's make a stand on a player who has years left on his contract and would be, as others have pointed out, lauded as a star of the game if he played at a big Victorian club.

Realistic is what we want it to be. We don't have to let Dan go. Melbourne have to make a trade work.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This isn't directed at you, but all I hear here is bitching about how we fold in trade negotiations.

So let's make a stand on a player who has years left on his contract and would be, as others have pointed out, lauded as a star of the game if he played at a big Victorian club.

Realistic is what we want it to be. We don't have to let Dan go. Melbourne have to make a trade work.
I understand what you’re saying, but in this trade hypothetical, we do want to get Pickett as well. So both parties need to be realistic.

We could ask for Pickett, Petracca and two first rounders, but that’s just wasting everyone’s time.

While I do think Houston is currently the better player, I’d be happy with a straight swap. Age is a significant factor.

If Houston does want to stay however, I wouldn’t be trading him under any circumstance.

I don’t necessarily think we fold on trade negotiations, I think our list managers are realistic, proactive and use what they can to get things done. I actually prefer our approach. Pickett also has a long term contract though which is why I don’t think Melbourne would want to add much if we could convince him to come to us.

I don’t necessarily think we fold on trade negotiations, I think our list managers are realistic, proactive and use what they can to get things done. I actually prefer our approach. Pickett also has a long term contract though which is why I don’t think Melbourne would want to add much if we could convince him to come to us.

That's a different argument, I think our trading is fair and we treat trade negotiations as human beings wanting to get to different destinations and not Playstation.

But I also think we absolutely have the upper hand if Houston wants to leave and Melbourne are prepared to throw massive money at him so he selects them. Also, a lot of people are seduced by the Pickett name and overrate him.

Do I think he could be a real weapon in our forward line as opposed to how he is going at Melbourne where he plays all over the ground? Sure.

That's a different argument, I think our trading is fair and we treat trade negotiations as human beings wanting to get to different destinations and not Playstation.

But I also think we absolutely have the upper hand if Houston wants to leave and Melbourne are prepared to throw massive money at him so he selects them. Also, a lot of people are seduced by the Pickett name and overrate him.

Do I think he could be a real weapon in our forward line as opposed to how he is going at Melbourne where he plays all over the ground? Sure.
We defintely have the upper hand with Houston, but I agree if he does go it’s his call, not ours and we will generally just accept it and do what it takes to get it done. I haven’t heard or read anything about Melbourne offering him big money, I am not sure if they even tapped him up vs him going to them. Either way, we should get a very good haul for him if it eventuates.

I understand what you’re saying, but in this trade hypothetical, we do want to get Pickett as well. So both parties need to be realistic.

We could ask for Pickett, Petracca and two first rounders, but that’s just wasting everyone’s time.

While I do think Houston is currently the better player, I’d be happy with a straight swap. Age is a significant factor.

If Houston does want to stay however, I wouldn’t be trading him under any circumstance.

I never said anything about Pickett, Petracca and two first rounders, that's just ridiculous and I wouldn't go there.

We absolutely have the upper hand in any trade negotiation and my starting point would be Pickett and a first rounder.

A trade request involving Pickett doesn't put us on the same playing field as Melbourne. We don't want him like they want Houston, we're just nominating him as an option.

I would prefer to get two quality first round picks and cut out the nonsense that goes on when players get involved from the other direction. This causes exactly the issues you see here when it comes to valuation of the added player.

I never said anything about Pickett, Petracca and two first rounders, that's just ridiculous and I wouldn't go there.

We absolutely have the upper hand in any trade negotiation and my starting point would be Pickett and a first rounder.

A trade request involving Pickett doesn't put us on the same playing field as Melbourne. We don't want him like they want Houston, we're just nominating him as an option.

I would prefer to get two quality first round picks and cut out the nonsense that goes on when players get involved from the other direction. This causes exactly the issues you see here when it comes to valuation of the added player.
Sorry to keep quoting you, I know you are having two seperate conversations. Pickett makes us better immediately next year, draft picks not so much. I would personally prefer Pickett unless it’s a pick in the top handful.

We defintely have the upper hand with Houston, but I agree if he does go it’s his call, not ours and we will generally just accept it and do what it takes to get it done. I haven’t heard or read anything about Melbourne offering him big money, I am not sure if they even tapped him up vs him going to them. Either way, we should get a very good haul for him if it eventuates.

If he is going to Melbourne, they have offered him serious coin, any Victorian club would find space for Dan.

I think Chewy316 has been clear the starting point for negotiations is two first rounders. I think Pickett would take up one of those, but that's all i would be prepared to sacrifice to get him.

Sorry to keep quoting you, I know you are having two seperate conversations. Pickett makes us better immediately next year, draft picks not so much. I would personally prefer Pickett unless it’s a pick in the top handful.

Yes he does and I would give up one first round pick for him.

But next year we will have Rioli, SPP and I think Benny Barrett could make an impact. So I don't know that he improves us that much.

But would I love to see Pickett in Port colours. Sure.

On the other hand if we could get pick 4 say, assuming they get that for Oliver going to Adelaide and could draft a mid who will take Ollie's place in a few years, then you have to grab that succession plan.

I was exaggerating to make a point. We’re all friends here.

If Pickett doesn’t request a trade, then he won’t get traded. Simple as that. We then have the upper hand and can demand two first rounders. I would absolutely play hard ball in that scenario.

If Pickett does request a trade though, then it becomes contracted player for contracted player. Both parties have leverage in that scenario and it becomes a negotiation about how each party rates their respective player.

From a port perspective, Pickett fills a massive need and if we can bring in a cumming/perryman for free, our best 22 is improved imo.

I don't think we need Pickett at all? Useful - yes. With the ability to push JHF, Butters, Rozee etc. up forward like we have been the last few weeks, we have enough weaponry.

Dan would be keeping his cards close to his chest, which is exactly what he should do.

If he goes, we push for two first rounders and pick up some top end talent. If he stays, we keep our AA half back with probably the best kick in the league.

Either way, there’s a lot to play out so there’s no point assuming an outcome and melting over it.

Yup, I think (and many in the industry have already touted) that Houston is worth 2 first round picks.

So if it's Pickett + a first rounder, we're equating Pickett to a first rounder, which I would say isn't far off the mark.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Rookie Pick #45 (2015) - Dan Houston

Remove this Banner Ad

Back