Player Watch Rookie Pick #45 (2015) - Dan Houston

Remove this Banner Ad

I can’t see how this trade gets done. What we would want and what Melbourne should pay, are miles apart.

As a port fan, I would want picks at the pointy end of the draft. But at the same time, if I was a Melbourne fan, I would be livid the club traded even one top 10 pick for a 28 year old back flanker.

What the fans want will have zero bearing on what happens.

Melbourne's footy department are under the pump - they haven't maximised their premiership window since they won the flag in 2021, and a fair few of their top players are hitting their late 20s/early 30s. They have a few options: 1 is to go all-in for the next 2 seasons and really push for another flag with the current list. Or they go into rebuild mode now. I think they look at this season as an outlier given how many injuries they've had, and if they were to opt for the full rebuild, Goodwin and a few of the other top boys in the footy department are probably getting moved on. So there's a cover your arse opportunity here by going all in on their end.

He'll get a 5 year deal at Melbourne, or at least I expect him to. Realistically he can be expected to play at an elite level for the next 3 years given he doesn't turn 28 until May next year - but given his position, it's one where he can age somewhat gracefully as opposed to (for instance) the 5 year deal Lycett got at Port where he was cooked after 2 years and a major liability thereafter.

The price will be steep - but Melbourne know that, and they're not going to be able to get him without paying a premium given the talent in combination with his contract.

Melbourne's footy department are under the pump - they haven't maximised their premiership window since they won the flag in 2021, and a fair few of their top players are hitting their late 20s/early 30s. They have a few options: 1 is to go all-in for the next 2 seasons and really push for another flag with the current list. Or they go into rebuild mode now. I think they look at this season as an outlier given how many injuries they've had, and if they were to opt for the full rebuild, Goodwin and a few of the other top boys in the footy department are probably getting moved on. So there's a cover your arse opportunity here by going all in on their end.

He'll get a 5 year deal at Melbourne, or at least I expect him to. Realistically he can be expected to play at an elite level for the next 3 years given he doesn't turn 28 until May next year - but given his position, it's one where he can age somewhat gracefully as opposed to (for instance) the 5 year deal Lycett got at Port where he was cooked after 2 years and a major liability thereafter.

The price will be steep - but Melbourne know that, and they're not going to be able to get him without paying a premium given the talent in combination with his contract.
I can see why they’d go all in, if a key forward in his prime was available. But all in for a 28 year old half back, even as good as Houston, is mind numbingly stupid. Keeping their picks isn’t a rebuild as you said, it’s just maintaining the status quo of being given a yearly first rounder.

I do agree they need to pay a premium. Which is why I don’t think a trade will happen. But I could also see us bending over like we did las year, which scares me.

I can see why they’d go all in, if a key forward in his prime was available. But all in for a 28 year old half back, even as good as Houston, is mind numbingly stupid. Keeping their picks isn’t a rebuild as you said, it’s just maintaining the status quo of being given a yearly first rounder.

I do agree they need to pay a premium. Which is why I don’t think a trade will happen. But I could also see us bending over like we did las year, which scares me.

For starters, he's 27 - doesn't turn 28 until May next year.

Negotiations between Houston and Melbourne would not be this far advanced if Melbourne weren't prepared to pay in the vicinity of the expected cost (two first round picks).

List managers and footy operations managers talk amongst each other during the season. It's not as if there is zero talk and then they start negotiations during trade period.

Take the JHF deal in the 2022 trade period - itt took a reasonable portion of the trade period to get the finer details of that deal done (in large part because it became a multi club trade which ensured all clubs got what they wanted out of the trade period as a whole). However, when Cal Twomey broke the news that JHF had requested a trade to Port (I think it was the Sunday night before trade period opened) I immediately made a few calls late that night, and was told Crippa and (North's list manager) Brady Rawlings had been talking and they'd agreed to the framework of the deal. In a word, it was "done" - but it was always going to take extra time, in part because fans want to see the optics of their Club haggling for the best deal, along with keeping it in idle to see if a multi-trade could pop up which quite often can extract an extra piece or two for Clubs.

I expect the same to happen with Houston on the assumption he requests a trade to Melbourne.

Right now Houston is at peak value, has a potential suitor, and we are a strong chance to add Perryman as a free hit.

We also have talented HBFs coming out of our wazoo and I feel like we found a gem in Evans which has likely come as a bonus we werent counting on heading onto the season.

If we can wheel and deal Houston into Perryman + a pick up near the pointy end of this draft + a future 1st then we potentially walk away with a serviceable replacement as well as an elite prospect such as Trainor for example plus another high draft pick next year.

Its good list management as far as im concerned.

Last edited:

Melbournes last rebuild took 50 years.

While Gawn is there Melbourne are all in.

Houston helps Melbourne win a flag whilst they are still in their window. Best kick in the league, best HBF in the league, bloody good mid in his own right when he plays in there, frees up Rivers to be a full time mid which theyve wanted for a while.

Theyve probably got two more years to get something else out of the Gawn/Petracca/Oliver era. You go for it if you are them

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agreed. People said the same about Amon and Polec but what we wouldn't give for their peak on the wings atm
Dude... are you talking about the same Jared Polec who couldn't get a game for worst-side-in-a-decade North Melbourne?

And sure, Amon would be a better wing than either Burgoyne or Boak as of right now, but both those guys have done fine this year. Burgoyne is tracking to be a fine player and we have replacements for Boak in Lorenz and perhaps even Jackson. Losing Amon was only a small loss, and I was a big fan of Amon in his last 2-3 years.

Port getting rid of Houston would be devastating. He's the type of player that should have the team built around him, watch his off the ball movement and you'll see what I mean.
No doubt he will be a massive loss - I reckon he and JHF are our top 2 players - but don't think we are 'getting rid of' him. Pretty sure the kid just wants to go home...

Are Melbourne coming hard with a golden grandfather deal, or are personal issues driving this potential move?

The story has been that he was quietly considering a move to melb for a woman, demons got wind of it and are throwing everything at him to get him there.

How much validity there is to it, or the nuances who knows. He may or may not have even made up his mind yet.

The story has been that he was quietly considering a move to melb for a woman, demons got wind of it and are throwing everything at him to get him there.

How much validity there is to it, or the nuances who knows. He may or may not have even made up his mind yet.

If true, you would think multiple Vic based clubs would be asking the question.

I would rather keep him, but this could be a genuine win/win trade going forward.

Houston helps Melbourne win a flag whilst they are still in their window. Best kick in the league, best HBF in the league, bloody good mid in his own right when he plays in there, frees up Rivers to be a full time mid which theyve wanted for a while.

Theyve probably got two more years to get something else out of the Gawn/Petracca/Oliver era. You go for it if you are them

Aren't we still in our 'window'?

He helps us win a flag too. No way should we let one of our best players walk, especially to another premiership contender when he’s contracted for 3 more seasons. Not unless we get something of serious value, like Pickett and a first rounder.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Rookie Pick #45 (2015) - Dan Houston

Remove this Banner Ad

Back