Player Watch Rookie Pick #45 (2015) - Dan Houston

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah we lose Houston we get assets that could be younger, but we get much worse immediately in the here and now.

Any idea we’re replacing him from on the list, or that perryman replaces him are not realistic.

We can use the picks we get from him to draft / trade in other players of need, and that is exciting in itself, but yeah, we will be weaker as a team immediately.

Having Pickett and Rioli in the fwd line fit and firing would be pretty sexy. But losing Dan would be a blow.
Yeah but it's hard not to get aroused at the possibility of SPP and Pickett replace Evans/Mac/Narkle/DBJ in the forward line.

A starting 6 of Georgiades, Marshall, Ratugolea, Rioli, SPP, Pickett would be one of the most dangerous and well-balanced forward lines we've had in a long time.

Not sure why we would push this guy for magic beans, basically ticks every box. Good player, leader, definitely seems to pass the good bloke test, at the top of his game. He must be driving this. At least we should get well compensated and if it's picks hopefully we don't waste them but our recent drafting of first rounder's has been pretty good. Sinn looks like a miss at this stage though.

Not sure why we would push this guy for magic beans, basically ticks every box. Good player, leader, definitely seems to pass the good bloke test, at the top of his game. He must be driving this. At least we should get well compensated and if it's picks hopefully we don't waste them but our recent drafting of first rounder's has been pretty good. Sinn looks like a miss at this stage though.

Are you thick or just being purposely disingenuous?

It has been stated multiple times in this thread we do not want to lose him and that Dan was the one putting the feelers out. Port are not pushing him at all, however if he requests a trade the discussion is over what compensation would be fair. We have the power in negotiations considering he will be a 2xAA, potential BnF and have 2 years to run on his contract.

Aren't we still in our 'window'?

Sure, but if someone wants to go home then there's not a whole lot we can do about that outside of 'stiff shit, you aren't leaving' and risking having an unhappy potentially toxic influence around the club who may not then perform at their best.

I'd much rather he stay. He's my favourite player. But if he is adamant he wants out for personal reasons and we can get appropriate value for an AA contracted player then you probably do it

The story has been that he was quietly considering a move to melb for a woman, demons got wind of it and are throwing everything at him to get him there.

How much validity there is to it, or the nuances who knows. He may or may not have even made up his mind yet.
I think it was Chewy that first mentioned Dan asking for a trade and I think he just said personal or family reasons. Someone then mentioned that his girlfriend was a Melbourne girl and everyone seems to have assumed that was his reason for moving. Chewy seems to be the one with some inside info and hasn’t wanted to be any more specific (fair enough) so there might be a bit more to it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The story has been that he was quietly considering a move to melb for a woman, demons got wind of it and are throwing everything at him to get him there.

How much validity there is to it, or the nuances who knows. He may or may not have even made up his mind yet.
Yeah to me it's strange that so far Melbourne is the only club linked. There should be at least 4 other clubs that would be keen on Houston. At least I hope there is soon cause that would also help drive his price up

I hate it when players say they want to go home because of a partner or family but then demand it be to a particular club

Makes the whole thing feel so disingenuous
Because it is.

If Dan reads BF I hope he is laughing his head off. How many pages now since the “rumour” hit social media!

He should be pleased we rate him so highly. 2 first round picks Dan, at least one in the top 5. ;)

Yeah to me it's strange that so far Melbourne is the only club linked. There should be at least 4 other clubs that would be keen on Houston. At least I hope there is soon cause that would also help drive his price up

I'm sure other clubs are interested and I'm sure they've been told by his manager that his strong preference is to get to the Dees.

I hate it when players say they want to go home because of a partner or family but then demand it be to a particular club

Makes the whole thing feel so disingenuous
Unless that particular club offered him 200k a year more than the other vic clubs. Then what does he do? Should he have to take the reduced offer because it’s a better deal for us?

Yeah but it's hard not to get aroused at the possibility of SPP and Pickett replace Evans/Mac/Narkle/DBJ in the forward line.

A starting 6 of Georgiades, Marshall, Ratugolea, Rioli, SPP, Pickett would be one of the most dangerous and well-balanced forward lines we've had in a long time.

Replace Marshall with Lord & looks better still.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I think it was Chewy that first mentioned Dan asking for a trade and I think he just said personal or family reasons. Someone then mentioned that his girlfriend was a Melbourne girl and everyone seems to have assumed that was his reason for moving. Chewy seems to be the one with some inside info and hasn’t wanted to be any more specific (fair enough) so there might be a bit more to it.

I said personal reasons simply because it hadn't really been out in public as to why he wants to leave. But it's pretty out in the open now - there's nothing more to it.

Would be nice if Dan was open to other Victorian suitors.

Other clubs have been well aware of his intentions for a little while now. Melbourne I'm of the impression presented the strongest offer. His manager is only negotiating with them now, no other club is a potential suitor at this point.

What drives his price up is that he's contracted for a further 3 seasons.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Rookie Pick #45 (2015) - Dan Houston

Remove this Banner Ad

Back