Player Watch Rookie Pick #45 (2015) - Dan Houston

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm sure other clubs are interested and I'm sure they've been told by his manager that his strong preference is to get to the Dees.

This would be part of his manager's legwork, wouldn't it? Unless Houston was for some reason adamant about the Dees from the outset, his manager will have sniffed out who's offering the best contract and who has the pieces to get a deal done among all the teams his client was willing to move to.

I hate it when players say they want to go home because of a partner or family but then demand it be to a particular club

Makes the whole thing feel so disingenuous

I think this is especially the case when it's a player wanting to go back to Melbourne. There's 9 choices there, it doesn't seem unreasonable to expect they could narrow it down to 4 or 5.

Are you thick or just being purposely disingenuous?

It has been stated multiple times in this thread we do not want to lose him and that Dan was the one putting the feelers out. Port are not pushing him at all, however if he requests a trade the discussion is over what compensation would be fair. We have the power in negotiations considering he will be a 2xAA, potential BnF and have 2 years to run on his contract.
no i don't read every post of every fckn thread ********, and if i did i wouldn't take it as gospel.

I think this is especially the case when it's a player wanting to go back to Melbourne. There's 9 choices there, it doesn't seem unreasonable to expect they could narrow it down to 4 or 5.
Well no one would ask for a trade to North where players moving pick teams with a chance for a flag.
If, if he decides to leave; we wish him the best and squeeze out the best trade we can.

Yeah to me it's strange that so far Melbourne is the only club linked. There should be at least 4 other clubs that would be keen on Houston. At least I hope there is soon cause that would also help drive his price up
I am OK if he selects the Dees where thay have a reputation of getting deals done, so I don't reckon two first will be a problem for them (to pay up).

It's about time the AFL let's clubs trade players without their permission. It's not like players are making minimum wage.

Imagine North or Rich say to Port that they will give this year's 1st and next year's 1st for Houston, but we have to say no because he only wants to go to Melb who only offer 2 2nd rnd picks for him, since they know he will find his was there. It's a joke!

It's about time the AFL let's clubs trade players without their permission. It's not like players are making minimum wage.

Imagine North or Rich say to Port that they will give this year's 1st and next year's 1st for Houston, but we have to say no because he only wants to go to Melb who only offer 2 2nd rnd picks for him, since they know he will find his was there. It's a joke!

The clubs are arcing up about their lack of any negotiating power in trades.

That change would force the hand of clubs seeking to bring players in.

That said, from what Chewy316 has told us, there should be an amicable agreement between Port and Melbourne.

Would be nice if Dan was open to other Victorian suitors.

St Kilda should be hammering the door down.

They are all in on Ross. They have made a big deal out of next year being the year they start showing something.

They've lost Battle in defence.

Wanganeen-Milera and Houston running though the middle of the ground would be a genuinely serious point of difference up against pretty much anybody.

Not if he has 3 years on his contract still.
We can hold him for the duration.
Probably wouldn't do that to him, but ................ would be a pretty forceful message that we'll trade him to wherever gets us the best return, and still to the city of his choice - if he does ultimately decide to go home.

"The reports are true, Dan Houston does want to leave Port Adelaide. He has 4 years to run on a deal, it is a bad situation for Port Adelaide, but he wants to head to Victoria.": Kane Cornes

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why is it that a guy like Papley wants to go home to Victoria and Sydney hold their ground. I don't mind that he wants to go home but I wouldn't be caving in unless we get exactly what we want. I bet it doesn't play out that way though.
Port are people pleasers as opposed to ruthless, it’ll get done.

Add Ryan O’Keefe to that Sydney list as well. Wanted out big time back to Vic end of 2008, doesn’t get done, ends up winning a Norm Smith in a Swans flag in 2012.

Whoever trades for him needs to pay 200 cents on the dollar. We should ask for massive overs and make him stick around if no one comes to the party.

It seemed to suit you guys when you pitched to JHF

It seemed to suit you guys when you pitched to JHF

And every club involved in that trade was happy with their returns.

It's not a problem when all clubs trade in good faith.

"The reports are true, Dan Houston does want to leave Port Adelaide. He has 4 years to run on a deal, it is a bad situation for Port Adelaide, but he wants to head to Victoria.": Kane Cornes

Hence Kane's call that Pickett is overrated and has underperformed for his talent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Rookie Pick #45 (2015) - Dan Houston

Remove this Banner Ad

Back