Player Watch Rookie Pick #45 (2015) - Dan Houston

Remove this Banner Ad

It seemed to suit you guys when you pitched to JHF
200.gif

I really don't have an issue trading Dan tbh sure I'd rather he stay however it's not a bad time to do a deal with his contracted status etc. he's a wonderful kick I'm not sure the rest of his game is irreplaceable.

He’s also a great decision maker & a very good over head mark for his size. His only real deficiencies are his leg speed & some of his 1v1 defensive work. Would unquestionably be our most consistent player on a week to week basis as well.

He’s also a great decision maker & a very good over head mark for his size. His only real deficiencies are his leg speed & some of his 1v1 defensive work. Would unquestionably be our most consistent player on a week to week basis as well.
Yea at the end of the day though we are not losing a prime midfielder or a gun forward his position is replaceable.

Kornes musing that Melbourne wouldn't be willing to overpay with pick 7 and there would be haggling over the late draft pick we have to give back as part of that deal. If we just traded Houston for pick 7, I most certainly wouldn't accept that. Pick 7 is far from a guarantee of a longterm AFL player, let alone any short-term compensation.

Kornes musing that Melbourne wouldn't be willing to overpay with pick 7 and there would be haggling over the late draft pick we have to give back as part of that deal. If we just traded Houston for pick 7, I most certainly wouldn't accept that. Pick 7 is far from a guarantee of a longterm AFL player, let alone any short-term compensation.

No. Melbourne have come looking for Houston and it's on them to get the deal done.

I don't buy the girlfriend being the problem at all.

The deal is their 1st pick and...

Is Dan's gf incapable of moving for a handful of years for her partner's career like 99% of other players?
If she's from metro Melbourne like me, 0% chance. Adelaide has a 'small country town' vibe to a lot of people here.
And in terms of your professional career (as a young professional) you're better off in Melbourne than Adelaide

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We can ask for two first rounders. But that’s essentially saying that we’re not trading him. Which is a good result.

Melbourne aren’t giving 2 firsts (unless they’re in the teens) though. That would be insane by them.

I can see it landing with pick 7 on its own. In which case both fans would be a little bit grumpy, but could probably live with.

Let’s some other players get traded and for what do we then have a benchmark

Looking at the last 20 drafts pick 7 has yielded Jordan Lewis, Paddy Ryder, Joel Selwood, Daniel Rich, Brad Sheppard, Nick Haynes, Ollie Wines, Jacob Hopper, Bailey Smith, Hayden Young. Of the rest there are a few who are too recent to judge, a few who had serviceable careers and a few who were misses. So yes there's no guarantee but I'd say there's a very decent chance that trading a near 28 year old Houston for pick 7 alone would result in us winning the trade long term.

Lol pick 7 alone would be a horrible outcome for us.

We get immediately worse, likely tank any chance we have at a grand final in the next couple of seasons, and for a very nice draft pick that may become a good player in 70 games time.

Fans should riot. We would be better off keeping him and losing him for nothing once his contract runs out.

Our starting position in terms of picks should be melbs current and future 1st, and only thing should happen from there is some fiddling around edges.

I can understand melb fans preferring their team tries to get younger rather than better, but clearly their team doesn’t agree, and whatever they think about Dan he’s an out and out gun.

We can ask for two first rounders. But that’s essentially saying that we’re not trading him. Which is a good result.

Melbourne aren’t giving 2 firsts (unless they’re in the teens) though. That would be insane by them.

I can see it landing with pick 7 on its own. In which case both fans would be a little bit grumpy, but could probably live with.

Rubbish. Players go for 2 1sts all the time. Many of them aren’t contracted for as long as Dan is, nor are as good. Taranto recently is one and he wasn’t contracted for another 3 years.

We traded what amounts to pick 8, future 1st, late 2nd and 2 3rd rounders for jhf and Rioli. Jhf had 1 yr on his contract, complicated leg surgery and incessant stories about his professionalism that year.

Personally I think

Melbs first and future 1st would be my first offer,

If they didn’t like that I would draw the line at current 1st plus 2 decent 2nd rounders

Or current 1st future 1st and 2 3rd rounders

With a 2nd rounder going back.

Anything less than that we should hold, but that’s just my opinion, what our club will do I don’t know:

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Rookie Pick #45 (2015) - Dan Houston

Remove this Banner Ad

Back